SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Great encouragement for people to buy electric vehicles...NOT. Nearly every other country in the world encourages EV ownership by subsidising the cost price or other incentive but Oz govt instead penalises people.
    Starts
    11-11-20
    Ends
    11-11-20

What an own goal

Comment

Looks like odometer wind back tools might become popular

Comment

how the fuck do they police that?
        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
          how the fuck do they police that?
          one option would be to ask for the ODO reading when it's time to renew the rego. Still a dick move by govco though

Comment

I gather it is to replace fuel excise? Still a stupid idea.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
              I gather it is to replace fuel excise? Still a stupid idea.
              That would be it as road usage tax is collected from the fuel excise . Some want to have even bicycles charged for road use and damage they cause so electric car road use tax is no surprise.

Comment

It makes sense on one level because you've got to pay for the upkeep of the roads somehow. Inevitably this will happen everywhere, unless they change the tax mix so that roads are paid for some other way.

However, it doesn't seem like the right time to do it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Impakt View Post

one option would be to ask for the ODO reading when it's time to renew the rego. Still a dick move by govco though
                  but 80% of my driving was at trackdays where i am already paying for the upkeep of the private surface /MicDrop
                  This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

How much rego do you pay for a tesla in SA?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                      It makes sense on one level because you've got to pay for the upkeep of the roads somehow. Inevitably this will happen everywhere, unless they change the tax mix so that roads are paid for some other way.

However, it doesn't seem like the right time to do it yet.
                      DOnt know what the figures are for SA alone but nationally EVs make up less than 1% of the vehicle fleet. This is more political/ideological than practical, but then no surprise from the Liberal Party...
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Over this side of the ditch, EV's make up 0.5% of the road fleet, and there is a lot of Govt chat about trying to increase the amount of them on the roads, and there has been chat about offering incentives to get people to make the change, but the reality is that apart from Jap import Nissan Leaf's, (that Nissan laughably quote $120,000 for a new battery) the majority of EV's are way out of the price range of the average Kiwi family, who are already struggling with insane rent prices, whilst trying to save enough to get on the property ladder which keeps moving forward faster than people can save, due to successive Govt inaction.

Apart from uber drivers in Prius', the only other EV's you see here are older, wealthy folk in their Tesla's, so I have very little faith in EV's becoming common place here in the next decade or so.

Comment

To put this into perspective - the fuel exise in the ACT covers the roadworks completely... everything except creation of roads in new suburbs...
                          This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

DOnt know what the figures are for SA alone but nationally EVs make up less than 1% of the vehicle fleet. This is more political/ideological than practical, but then no surprise from the Liberal Party...
                            This is currently being discussed by all state governments in aus and is a large topic of conversation worldwide. It is coming in everywhere as governments have no choice but to replace the fuel excise. Bit surprised SA moved so early but I guess they’re trying to get people used to the idea before EV’s become common.

Comment

I guess eventually they can really ratchet up the fuel excise on unleaded to get people to move over to EVs. a bit like what they are trying to do with vodka cruisers and cigarettes.

Oo___oO

Comment

Working...
                              X