SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-not-polluting

Dr Jake Whitehead, a research fellow with the University of Queensland, said this didn’t stack up as money generated from road taxes is split between state and federal governments.

Less than half this money is then spent on road transport projects, while the rest goes to general revenue.

“Basically, what they’re saying [to EV owners] is you should continue to pay stamp duty, registration and we’re going to throw in an extra tax. Basic economics is that you make the price higher, you decrease demand,” Whitehead said.

“What we’re seeing is that EVs are being a scapegoat for falling fuel excise taxes, when the excise declines are actually because of more hybrid and fuel-efficient cars being introduced.

“The expected outcome from my perspective, is that you’ll put a tax on EVs, that will be a disincentive [to buy] EVs, those buyers will then buy hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicles and that will exacerbate the issue with fuel excise. That’ll only make the issue larger.”
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Too soon.. you get them hooked THEN you smack a massive excise on it.
      RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Meh you know I don't really give a shit TBH. Govt was always going to tax EV's so put ya pity dicks back in ya mommas mouth. Doesn't get around the fact that as a city car EV's are the future, cleaner, more powerful, less complex and less bullshit maintenance. Once battery costs come down the advantage of the more complex combustion engine is irrelevant. Everyone can see it.

So why should I give cunts like Simon Hackett a tax break by subsidising the same roads I drive on? Even though his car is probably depreciated as a business expense?

The fair system would be registration fees based on km travelled, but as well all know that doesn't allow mining of peoples pockets for driving a v8.

Comment

Originally posted by Gats View Post
          Seems like it'll eventually be a pretty regressive tax to me. Those who can't afford to live within 5km of the CBD will be doing bigger kays to get to work, so will be hit the hardest.
          That’s how it already works though.

Comment

Every thread says fossil fuels are subsidised by the government, good to see this obviously is the case.
            3D scanning
            3D modelling
            Structural certification
            3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

SA Import a good chunk of their electricity, especially when the wind isn't blowing like it currently is (as do most of the other states at peak time). They can't afford to charge up all those cars while everyone has their air-con on over Summer. It'll melt down the grid again.
              I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

So let's compare an ev to say the most frugal cars out there at 4L/100 and say 10,000 annual km. That's 400L at 42c so $168/yr. Now the states only get half the excise right? So the annual bill should be $84, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.

Comment

Seems like it'll eventually be a pretty regressive tax to me. Those who can't afford to live within 5km of the CBD will be doing bigger kays to get to work, so will be hit the hardest.
                  You mean in an identical way to when they run their cars on petrol, diesel, CNG or LPG?
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

What method will they use to record distance traveled on a user pays system? Is it the start of the slippery slope / thin edge of the wedge for complete tracking of every vehicle? Thus allowing automatic generation of speeding fines, fail to stop at a stop sign fines, etc.

Comment

uk already has black box insurance that tracks the car for cheaper premiums. its not new
                      I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
                        Meh you know I don't really give a shit TBH. Govt was always going to tax EV's so put ya pity dicks back in ya mommas mouth. Doesn't get around the fact that as a city car EV's are the future, cleaner, more powerful, less complex and less bullshit maintenance. Once battery costs come down the advantage of the more complex combustion engine is irrelevant. Everyone can see it.

So why should I give cunts like Simon Hackett a tax break by subsidising the same roads I drive on? Even though his car is probably depreciated as a business expense?

The fair system would be registration fees based on km travelled, but as well all know that doesn't allow mining of peoples pockets for driving a v8.
                        You’re not “getting a tax break” if youre not buying the product that is taxed in the first place. it’s not as if EV owners are buying fuel then not paying tax on it.
                        Originally posted by Jim
                        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                          uk already has black box insurance that tracks the car for cheaper premiums. its not new
                          Is it mandated by government for fines enforcement?

Comment

That is a long bow to draw. There are plenty of people who make the choice to live further from the CBD. Also worth mentioning that, although there isn't a clear picture on the pricing, it should be expected that it will be equal or less than the value of the excise to the user.

Comment

I drive 130km a day round trip to get to/from work, if NSW brings this in and I have an EV at some point, I'll be cranky. Already pay enough as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
                                I drive 130km a day round trip to get to/from work, if NSW brings this in and I have an EV at some point, I'll be cranky. Already pay enough as it is.
                                But you won't be buying fuel, so whatever road-usage tax you pay for driving an EV will be balanced by the lack of tax you're paying by not buying petrol or diesel.
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X