SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

Is it mandated by government for fines enforcement?
    insurance is mandated - the black box isnt, however it lowers your premium by 70% in most cases. when paying $3000 per annum for a holden astra at age 19, its a big help. lots of people do it.
    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
      But you won't be buying fuel, so whatever road-usage tax you pay for driving an EV will be balanced by the lack of tax you're paying by not buying petrol or diesel.
      yeah, what they needed to do is remove it from fuel and charge it as a inclusive part of all rego fees, and label it as a road fund tax. thus no one gets upset.
      I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
        yeah, what they needed to do is remove it from fuel and charge it as a inclusive part of all rego fees, and label it as a road fund tax. thus no one gets upset.
        Make it stick with the car, based on odometer reading, it gets paid the registration AFTER the usage of the roads.
        It's already illegal to mess with the odometer & for the sake of the ~$80 saving that was mentioned the page before, nobody's going to pay someone who knows what they're doing to tamper with it in such a way that it stops then works when the rego inspection comes around again.

Hmmm ... actually, this plan wouldn't work in states without regular roadworthiness checks.
        Last edited by Captiva Fan; 12-11-20, 08:35 AM.
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

So will electric mining vehicles be exempt given they don't use public roads for this tax? will the guardianistas still be up in arms about the 'subsidies' to mining.

Comment

Originally posted by The Panda View Post

That is a long bow to draw. There are plenty of people who make the choice to live further from the CBD. Also worth mentioning that, although there isn't a clear picture on the pricing, it should be expected that it will be equal or less than the value of the excise to the user.
            SA have said they're looking to raise $1M from the estimated 2000 EVs currently on SA roads, that's $500 I car, which is significantly more than the rego cost.

Comment

If the road excise was removed from petrol and added to rego, its a certainty that the price of fuel will drop temporarily before edging back to its current price.
              Originally posted by ahabthearab
              If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

yup.
                .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                  You’re not “getting a tax break” if youre not buying the product that is taxed in the first place. it’s not as if EV owners are buying fuel then not paying tax on it.
                  Kinda are as you are not paying for a heavily taxed petroleum fuel.

You you have is got on the power used to recharge the car. Which is the point - EV owners don't pay the same relative taxes

Comment

The logical extension of your argument is that im getting a tax break because im not paying for the fuel on the Boeing Dreamliner that i dont own

You cant get a discount on something that you never paid for in the first place. And before you say "yeah but they still use the roads!" - the tax is on the fuel, not the road use.

The point is not that the government isnt entitled to move away from a fuel-based tax, its that it should also be encouraging EV takeup, and the excuse that it needs to tax EVs right now when they make up a tiny fraction of the vehicle fleet and are not responsible for the steady decrease in excise takings anyway just doesnt wash.
                    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 12-11-20, 11:00 AM.
                    Originally posted by Jim
                    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

In reality, they need to come up with something or else it is a little un fair.

Or maybe a an increase in rego cost for ev's that reflects the average number of km done?

Either way, if you want to encourage ev's they need to be cheaper to run untill they are cheaper to buy.
                      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                        Because my 600kg EV which I use to do 50000km/yr uses the road more & causes more road-damage than your 3600kg EV which you use on the first Monday of each quarter for a total of 400km/yr ... yet you'd pay 6x more "road tax".
                        I don't have a problem with this. At the moment I have a car that gets rounded up because it's 1 kg over the "nearest 100kg" that sees me pay more. I drive it less than 20 weeks a year. Yet I pay the same rego as a heavier vehicle driving 347000km 24/7 per year.
                        Last edited by mizone; 12-11-20, 11:11 AM.
                        Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

by the same token, I have 3 cars regoed, one is parked up one is on club reg and the other does less than 5 km a day.

Do I get a refund? Why should an EV?

Dr Hoon

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                            by the same token, I have 3 cars regoed, one is parked up one is on club reg and the other does less than 5 km a day.

+1

Thank you for putting what I was trying to say in English.
                            Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post

Because buyers already pay considerably more for the privilege of choosing an EV over an equivalent ICE vehicle. In the context of needing to reduce pollution levels and fossil fuel use this is entirely the wrong approach.

(also its not a refund)
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

In the end EV drivers need to pay their own way, whether through km based excise or a hiked rego. Although its not the best way of encouraging use, they SHOULD still come out a lot cheaper than paying for fuel. My concern is how they charge, eg will it be equivalent to a very fuel efficient car, or will it be gouging?

Clearly the best way around it is to convert a petrol car to electric and don't tell anyone...
                                Originally posted by ahabthearab
                                If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Working...
                                X