No announcement yet.

SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~800 p.a. for normal rego, it's pretty bloody close.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post

Given the cost of insurance & the fact I need to get a pink-slip anyway , for the one car I'm juuust enough attached to having a not-dorky number plate to not bother with saving the few hundred bucks I'd save by going through the hassle of club rego.
      The rego component is about the same per day, but the green-slip is where the saving happens in NSW.
      Really? You must a baller cunt, but hey you live in Ryde right so not really.

Getting OTT, but Club Rego in NSW is $49/year *INC* the Greenslip which gives you 60 days usage (any club event are counted towards days), plus club insurance is much cheaper, my Zed is something like $250 or so a year full comp insurance. On top of that if you don't want pay for a pink slip ~$40 you don't have if the club registrar signs off on the car (I just get a pink slip)

So all up for me ~$300/year compared to a minimum of $1400 / year if on full rego and full comp insurance.

Comment

^ It was going to be about $500 saving for me, comprehensive insurance wasn't going to be any cheaper (I'm already on 2 days per week).
        But I'd have to actually talk to someone in my car club, and I'm not sure if that's worth the money ...
        Last edited by Captiva Fan; 12-11-20, 02:25 PM.
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
          so those that dont drive pay? I'm cool with that, fuck em.
          We shouldn't have a fuel excise in general. Roads should be maintained via general revenue, just like hospitals, schools and other services. I don't have kids, but I still pay for them via my taxes. Should be the same for EVs.
          All the healthcare benefits of removing pollution from the air will save those billions of dollars in hospital cases in the long run.

Also consider that not everyone has solar. So if someone has a long commute to work in an EV, then they are paying a decent amount in their electricity bill as it is.
          Last edited by Ribfeast; 12-11-20, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Because buyers already pay considerably more for the privilege of choosing an EV over an equivalent ICE vehicle.
            Shouldn't those who can afford the privilege of owning an EV be happy to pay some more to help those who can't?

You know who is penalised in this whole scenario, poor people, who can't afford a nice fuel efficient car or the privilege of owning an EV, don't you want to help them?

Comment

Yep, helping poor people out by slugging them with an additional tax they wouldnt otherwise be paying

sounds completely logical to me
              Originally posted by Jim
              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

The point is not that the government isnt entitled to move away from a fuel-based tax, its that it should also be encouraging EV takeup, and the excuse that it needs to tax EVs right now when they make up a tiny fraction of the vehicle fleet and are not responsible for the steady decrease in excise takings anyway just doesnt wash.
                From a government perspective it is the perfect time to talk about it. There isn't a time crunch to fill a massive gap in revenue because you suddenly have 30% EV ownership so whilst it is less than 1% you can come up with something that works and is fair. You also have time to tweak it on the run with only impact to a small % of your population.

It also obviously won't be a popular thing for the owners but at this stage from a government perspective fuck em because they represent a tiny % percentage of voters who are probably green voters anyway and won't have much impact on the LNP vs. Labor battle. Compare that to trying to bring something like this in when you are at 30% ownership, that is a lot of votes not going your way at the next election.

Comment

The problem with that argument is, as the article I posted above points out, excise revenues are falling not because of EVs but because the vehicle fleet as a whole is using less fuel. So targeting EVs now will only negatively impact that segment without fixing the problem.

i would also argue that delaying any changes till EV ownership is at (to use your example) 30% would actually be more acceptable because the numbers would add up, whereas now they clearly don’t.
                  Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 12-11-20, 06:55 PM.
                  Originally posted by Jim
                  I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                  What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Just on the ABC news, the plan has opposition and likely will not go ahead.

It is all rather a miss hit anyway, fees and charges payed by motorists all went into general revenue anyway, then road maintenance and costs came out of that. They were never actually linked.
                    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

The problem with that argument is, as the article I posted above points out, excise revenues are falling not because of EVs but because the vehicle fleet as a whole is using less fuel. So targeting EVs now will only negatively impact that segment without fixing the problem.

i would also argue that delaying any changes till EV ownership is at (to use your example) 30% would actually be more acceptable because the numbers would add up, whereas now they clearly don’t.
                      Well then increase the fuel excise whilst also introducing something related to EV's.

Yeah I don't think that is true. People won't care if the numbers add up. Introduce it now, piss off a tiny percentage of the population and for everyone else it is just a cost of ownership factor they need to consider at purchase time should they look to buy an EV. Whoever it was that did the maths you are talking about probably <$200 per year for the average motorist if it is similar to fuel excise it is not going to make or break the decision on whether to buy an EV.

Comment

The only logical way to bring this in is to remove the fuel excise and add a per km tax on all vehicles.

How will it be implimented? A yearly green slip would do it, or even an honesty system would work pretty well. Lie as much on your yearly usage as you like, you'll just have to make it up when you sell the car.
                        Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Comment

Introduce now to EV's, guess what's next PHEVs. You can get 50-80KM on a charge no problem, some road users would never ever pay excise. Then guess what's next, ultra-low emission hybrids, some of those are down into the 3L/100 KM. By then it won't matter as everyone will be fucked.

If you're going to change it to a user pays per KM system you have to do it across the whole fleet, you can't just cherry-pick one segment. A good example a Outlander PHEV, 54KM on batter only, A large percentage of users would be paying maybe $50 a year in excise max.

Once it becomes normalised with EVs the argument will be flipped, if it's good enough for EV then its good enough mode, X, Y or Z. Govt's rarely introduce a 'reform' that benefits anyone. Reform is a buzzword get getting fucked up the arse with a big black dildo coated in sand.

Just a personal note on EVs, I putting down 90K on car that really shouldn't cost more than what $50K, sure that's my choice, fine. But I'm also paying 40K more of stamp duty (straight to the state govt) and paying luxury car tax on car that is pretty fucking sparse. Now if Govco said hey we'll credit you that extra stamp duty and LCT for the first X year for road usage charge, I wouldn't have a come back, but until then they can fuck right off

Comment

Just reporting through mechanics workshops, all your log book servicing, yea sure some ppl will do whatever at home but let's be honest 80% of people would get their cars serviced somewhere

Probably end up like payg system, after 12 months you pay based on previous usage and then you just adjust at EOFY.

3D scanning
                            3D modelling
                            Structural certification
                            3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

In NZ if you have a diesel you have to pay a road user charge. Effectively you have to buy ‘coupons’ which represent 5000km blocks and you always have to have paid for the distance you have driven, you can purchase well ahead but you can’t be behind. Then you just do checks whenever appropriate, eg annual rego check, when police pull you over for rbt etc. it’s a pretty old fashioned system and is being replaced but if NZ can do it for diesels it shouldn’t be difficult for SA to do it for EV’s.

Comment

Roads that get used by any vehicle require repair and maintenance which costs. So doesn't it seem fair that all such users pay? Surely it's just a matter of working out a fair way to tax all users equitably irrespective of what sort of motor propels their vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X