No announcement yet.

SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really, light vehicles do fuck all damage in the scheme of things. It is heavy vehicles that do the most damage. The real costs for light vehicle users is having the roads built in the first place. You can have a road last for 50 years if you only have light vehicle, <3.5 tonnes or so using it only and it has been constructed properly with a sound design.

There are local roads in the granite belt where the only maintenance they see is a reseal every 30 years or so because the bitumen has worn out, not because of any pavement damage. The usual life expectancy for seal on a local government owned road is 5 to 10 years and for pavement below the seal generally 15 to 25 years. And other roads in the area, because of black soil, are roads only because the seal holds the pavement together. One of few times where I have driven on a sealed road and the pavement has been that saturated I though I would get bogged. The only other time was doing road condition surveys after the 2011 floods in the Surat basin.

There is no real equitable way to divide the costs of firstly providing the road network and then maintaining the road network across all users without someone getting shafted. The most equitable way at the moment is to do it properly through fuel excise where the excise actually goes to the roads and not general revenue. For EV's this then becomes an issue, where a system as described for diesel in NZ would be the best solution for an equitable divvy up of ongoing funding.

Comment

Would something like a stamp duty on kilometers when the vehicle is sold/transferred be palatable?

Yeah, someone might keep the car a hundred years and pay nothing but high K vehicles suddenly become less attractive to the second hand market, so better resale and demand for newer second hand cars which might make the average age of vehicles lower as well?

Question that might seem strange but how are EV's treated wrt to P plate restrictions?

I only thought about it today when a shithead P plater in a Tesla absolutely hosed me off the lights to 100kph (in a 60 zone) when I'm normally 3/4 of a car out before the snoozy cunt next to me reacts to the light. Yeah, I was in my dirty taxiwag but reaction time is usually king when driving dailies and I don't normally back off against regular folk.

Comment

Fuel excise won’t work when cars run off another fuel source not solely dedicated to transport. That’s why electricity is the blur and same with CNG although that didn’t take off. Rego also just pays for the administration of the number plate system. Not the cost of the upkeep of the roads. All those people that don’t live in your council area are the ones freeloading off your roads

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post
          Fuel excise won’t work when cars run off another fuel source not solely dedicated to transport. That’s why electricity is the blur and same with CNG although that didn’t take off. Rego also just pays for the administration of the number plate system. Not the cost of the upkeep of the roads. All those people that don’t live in your council area are the ones freeloading off your roads
          ^^ if that's the case why are there different rates for heavier cars? A sub 1,000 KG car is much cheaper to register in NSW than a >1,500KG car.

Comment

There are also a shit tonne of state roads to pay for, which is what rego pays for.

Your council rates pay for council roads, which generally don't see heavy traffic traffic.

That would be why NSW goes in a weight based system, which is probably the fairest as the heavier the vehicle the more damage you do.

Comment

I thought the reasoning here was basic politics.
              In 2020 the average public perception of an EV owner is some computer nerd using stock options to buy a quarter million dollar Tesla. Yes there are a few second hand Leafs around, and more every year, but right now you won't get too many stories like

"recently widowed mother of 7 who bought a safe, green, 4th hand, leaf because she can't afford to run a corolla and now she has to sell 3 of her children into prostitution to pay the government's rapacious new EV tax!!!!! Tonight at 7:30 on Frontline in a report you can't afford to miss!!!1111!!!"

The longer they wait, the more you get a sympathetic group of people who will be hurt, even if the hurt is just making them as badly off as everyone else. It's still going to hurt, they are still going to bitch and whine about it, and that makes life difficult for whomever is the person who signed off on the new tax. Do it now because you might just get away with it.

Or it may already be too late.
              Originally posted by Mr Purple;
              - My clothing colours are inspired by the theme 'gay peacock attending a rave in the mid 90's.' Fuck being invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                There are also a shit tonne of state roads to pay for, which is what rego pays for.

Your council rates pay for council roads, which generally don't see heavy traffic traffic.

That would be why NSW goes in a weight based system, which is probably the fairest as the heavier the vehicle the more damage you do.
                Weight based is the most fair generally. Damage to roads is approximately equal to the 4th power of the axle weight increase. Twice the weight,, 16 times the road damage. According to this link, a single trailer semi does roughly 9600 times the damage of a car. Your car rego and road fees heavily subsidise trucking. A 200 series does nearly 21 times the damage to the roads compared to an MX5. Also shows that bikes do essentially 0 damage to roads

https://www.denenapoints.com/relatio...t-road-damage/
                Last edited by Sathanas; 15-11-20, 04:52 PM.
                Originally posted by ahabthearab
                If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Meanwhile in ACT...

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...erra/?cs=14225

Borrow now pay later? I wait to see how much these cunts will charge once they work out a system how.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Heavy road transport should be charged on a weight-distance system as they were a long time ago. It would push more long distance stuff back onto rail where it should be economically, safety wise and environmentally.

Comment

The weight system in NSW is inconsistently applied. What makes 1154kg different to 1155kg? Just apply a flat %.

I bet the tax on Hydrogen will be less pressing given the gas can also be taxed easily like petrol & LPG
                        Last edited by smellytofu; 17-11-20, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Why have any kind of road tax at all? Just fucking pay for it out of general infrastructure like every other country

There is literally no scale by which you could fairly tax everything from a motorbike to a semi trailer on road wear
                          Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 18-11-20, 02:54 PM.
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                            Why have any kind of road tax at all? Just fucking pay for it out of general infrastructure like every other country
                            Doesn't pretty much "every other country" have fuel excise, but often more?
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

some have subsidies....
                              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

There is literally no scale by which you could fairly tax everything from a motorbike to a semi trailer on road wear
                                So where would you increase tax? compared to the almost exactly user pays system we currently have?
                                This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Working...
                                X