SA to start charging EV drivers per km driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
    So where would you increase tax? compared to the almost exactly user pays system we currently have?
    And we come back full circle - how are you going to charge a vaguely-proportional-road-usage tax for ... ahem ... charging?
    Stick it on all charge stations and you'll end up with most people charging at home ... do they then need to mandate meters on home charging stations? Maybe meters on electric cars, and you pay monthly or something?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I think the only logical answer is to mandate that all EV's must be charged by diesel generators
      This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

As has been already pointed out, there are a billion government-provided services that arent directly user-pays, they are just centrally funded from all tax revenue. Why does road maintenance funding have to be any different?
        Originally posted by Jim
        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Because roads are owned/managed by the three tiers of government plus private owners/operators.

That makes it a little difficult to manage from a central system when you have all these different road owners.

Comment

Maybe that system needs to change. Maybe get rid of the states at the same time, one less layer of government.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
              As has been already pointed out, there are a billion government-provided services that arent directly user-pays, they are just centrally funded from all tax revenue. Why does road maintenance funding have to be any different?
              Money has to come from somewhere... if we want to stop subsidising the cost of transport (public & goods) I'm totally ok with that.

This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
                I think the only logical answer is to mandate that all EV's must be charged by diesel generators
                EV's diesel fuel tax mining subsidy evil plan confirmed

Comment

Victoria will follow South Australia with a per-kilometre usage fee for pure electric and plug-in hybrid cars

https://www.caradvice.com.au/903101/...les-from-2021/

Dan Andrews’ Labor Government confirmed it would charge owners of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles a usage fee from July 2021.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas confirmed the per-kilometre-usage-fee on Saturday afternoon.

Under the new laws, full electric vehicles would be charged 2.5 cents per kilometre travelled while plug-in hybrid vehicles would face a usage tax of 2.0 cents per kilometre travelled.

Using the average annual motor vehicle distance travelled of 15,000km (based on Australian Census data) that would mean electric cars would pay an additional $375 each year, while plug-in hybrids would face an additional $300 fee.

According to its data, the Victorian government anticipates raising around $30 million annually via the electric vehicle tax, although Mr Pallas said owners of such vehicles would continue to pay less to use the state’s roads than drivers of vehicles fitted with petrol or diesel engines.

“Even after the introduction of this charge for usage of our road network, people driving electric vehicles will pay between 40 and 45 per cent less than motorists driving in a car fuelled by petrol or diesel,” said Mr Pallas.

The new charge has been brought in to offset the loss of revenue collected from the sale of petrol and diesel.

Currently, 42.3 cents from every litre of petrol and diesel sold at the bowser goes to the Federal Government. A portion of that – between 40 and 50 per cent in recent years – goes towards national transport infrastructure. The balance of fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue.
                  Electric Vehicle Council CEO Behyad Jafari was critical of this latest tax on electric vehicles, stating it was “built on a myth”.
                  “Fuel excise income is not quarantined for roads and will drop in the long run,” said Mr Jafari. “But as we shift away from petrol and diesel, diseases linked to air pollution and other costs associated with climate change will also decrease.
                  “Why would you tax a technology that will drive profound savings and economic benefit? Now is the time to be encouraging EVs, not holding them back with a new tax.”

Comment

So PHEV gets reemed twice??!!

Comment

Get fucked cunts you aren’t getting a cent from me

theres no annual inspection in Vic so I’m going to report Zero km

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
                        Get fucked cunts you aren’t getting a cent from me

theres no annual inspection in Vic so I’m going to report Zero km
                        You do now....
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

If I have to report km I’ll just claim my car already has 20,000km on it, it has 6,000

anyway I know a guy

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post
                            So PHEV gets reemed twice??!!
                            Yep! I think I said it a few pages ago, and next will be hybrids and ultra efficient petrol cars. I mean those 4L/100 cars aren't anywhere near pulling their weight are they.

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
                              If I have to report km I’ll just claim my car already has 20,000km on it, it has 6,000

anyway I know a guy
                              There will be some sort of formal yearly check introduced, and big fines for avoidance. . theyll want their money. Since when has Govenment just let people get away with not paying a tax?
                              RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

I was thinking they should just slap a $5000 excise on a replacement tyre, they would probably have to scrap the fuel excise as well to be fair, but as people drive their $60 yumchas down to the wire already this probably isn't a good idea.

It's probably been mentioned already but whatever they do to EVs has to apply to PVs too, if the excise is ~ 40 cents a litre this works out to be around 4 cents per kilometre (city driving, many assumptions)

Comment

Working...
                                X