Importing car from US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing car from US?

I'm looking at importing a JDM car from 94 from the US to Australia. Reason being is that this is a perfect example of a difficult to find model.

Just wondering if anyone has imported a newer car (ie not 60s) and the costs involved?

Thanks!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Allready RHD?

Comment

Yes, its originally a Japanese car. Then went to Europe. Now in the US LOL.
      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Comment

I don't think there is much difference being LHD or RHD in terms of importing more so on the rego and compliance front once here? In general importing one should be the same, find car, get a VIA, get it shipped, pay lots of money to wharfies/customs/GovCo then get it complied and rego'd?

Look here if you haven't already, main thing I notice is checking with the local authorities that it can be rego'd here as it fits under the "Older than 25yrs option" for import approval. Pending it not having MAJOR modifications like engine swaps etc which effectively "re-date" the year of manufacture to the year of the swap, unless it was an option engine for that car, it's fairly clear cut as to which import rule applies.

Costs wise it's been years since I did mine but was around $5k landed?
        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
          I don't think there is much difference being LHD or RHD in terms of importing more so on the rego and compliance front once here? In general importing one should be the same, find car, get a VIA, get it shipped, pay lots of money to wharfies/customs/GovCo then get it complied and rego'd?

Look here if you haven't already, main thing I notice is checking with the local authorities that it can be rego'd here as it fits under the "Older than 25yrs option" for import approval. Pending it not having MAJOR modifications like engine swaps etc which effectively "re-date" the year of manufacture to the year of the swap, unless it was an option engine for that car, it's fairly clear cut as to which import rule applies.

Costs wise it's been years since I did mine but was around $5k landed?
          Thanks mate. Good to get an idea of the costs involved.

Did you have a good company who organised/transported your Nova?

(TM - AVENGE)

Comment

I did but they aren’t doing it anymore I don’t think, I used Shermatt International who is an Aussie living in Florida. You could shoot them a message and ask?

Matt Clarke https://www.facebook.com/matt.clarke.902604
            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

How legal is the car ?

There are some Japanese import cars that have dodgy rego such as skyline's
              you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post
                How legal is the car ?

There are some Japanese import cars that have dodgy rego such as skyline's
                Its 25yo and stock.

(TM - AVENGE)

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                  I did but they aren’t doing it anymore I don’t think, I used Shermatt International who is an Aussie living in Florida. You could shoot them a message and ask?

Matt Clarke https://www.facebook.com/matt.clarke.902604
                  Thanks.

But I'm not on FB.

(TM - AVENGE)

Comment

Never used these guys (https://www.dazmac.com.au/about-us.html) but they seem to be one of the more active ones around these days and have heard a few people used them with no major issues? Maybe also ask Babs as he is bringing in his Arse-Wristy and they might have a US contact?
                    Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Tell us what it is son?

Comment

I'm also intrigued to hear what it is...

Comment

1990 chrysler Lebaron convertible?

Comment

Originally posted by Euronymous View Post
                            1990 chrysler Lebaron convertible?

Comment

Why does John Voight have a lebaron?

Comment

Working...
                              X