No announcement yet.

Hail damaged cars; would you purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a WOVR after the Brisbane hail storm a few years ago. It was cheap as, only needed a new windscreen to be re-registered. Getting it off the register was a bit pricey, but not too hard (inspected while I waited) and I ran it as a station car for a few years until something broke on it and it wasn't worth fixing so I sold it for scrap. The biggest issue I had was stuff that needed fixing for road worthy that had nothing to do with the hail damage but was impossible to pick before the auction. To be honest after the unexpected expenses, it worked out about the same financially as buying a beater second hand.

Comment

Dont get one thats had the glass broken
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

If it's cheap enough & reliable really couldn't care less for a daily tbh but that is mainly for dailies that run into the ground
        an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Most insurers won't cover cars with major existing hail damage (unless it a third party property) thing.

I wouldn't go for it unless it was extremely cheap and purely an appliance to run into the ground then chuck.

Comment

I know a couple of guys that have done exactly that with camrys and the like, they couldn't be happier.'... Well as happy as you can be driving a camry.
            .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

A-B cars nothing more. No mods except tinted windows. Basic servicing and repairs .

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Comment

In 2010 Perfs had a massive hail storm. My car was in Applecross and copped the brunt of it. A VY2 Commodore.

It had a host of electrical issues there after, went from a minter to a POS. Was sent to the insurance company three months after the ordeal for a pay out.

With that experience, IMHO - If its a second car thats going to get modded and you don't want to care about AND you paid SFA for it, then yeah. Otherwise nope.
                Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X