Modded Torana crashes into restaurant while doing burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    so at wot its possible for the cable to come off and then not go back on the cam as the throttle is shut
    Also I was thinking that because there's a side load on the cable, the spot where it passes thru the eye at the bracket may be internally roughed up and the cable possibly a little frayed
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

But that’s what the spring is meant to take care of.

Seeing that setup makes me wonder why you wouldn’t just run DBW and never have to worry about cable routing again.
      ---
      Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Kind of stupid to rip a skid over a blind hill with so many people around to catch it on camera...even with half that power not a good idea.

Cunt will get reamed & now the rest of us will cop shit by karens
        an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          But that’s what the spring is meant to take care of.
          BUT,

Go back and look at the first pic i posted, about 1/4 of the shaft that holds the blade in is hanging down still attached to the throttle cable. Cable didn't come off, the shaft has snapped so no return spring unless that cheap shit china TB is a double return. Technically blade could jam open due to the snapped shaft, tps reads still at wot and feeds in the fuel as its on the other end of the shaft and away she goes.
          The change of revs in the skid and at not even a second of limiter bash at the impact or tip over makes me think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post

BUT,

Go back and look at the first pic i posted, about 1/4 of the shaft that holds the blade in is hanging down still attached to the throttle cable. Cable didn't come off, the shaft has snapped so no return spring unless that cheap shit china TB is a double return. Technically blade could jam open due to the snapped shaft, tps reads still at wot and feeds in the fuel as its on the other end of the shaft and away she goes.
            The change of revs in the skid and at not even a second of limiter bash at the impact or tip over makes me think otherwise.
            That's a good point. There isn't any scratches on the bellcrank to suggest that it hit the ground during the rollover and snapped off that way....and the inlet tubing around the TB is still mint. If the thing just snapped off (which the misaligned cable would contribute to) then that would make sense
            Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
              Kind of stupid to rip a skid over a blind hill with so many people around to catch it on camera...even with half that power not a good idea.
              Isn't this the appeal for people like this? What's the point of going to a remote area in the middle of the night if there's no one there to see you / it's only fun if it's dangerous / racetracks are for pussies etc?
              BMW E21 Racer

ATCC & V8SC Results, Data, Statistics and Discussion from 1960 to now

Comment

Dbw is witchcraft, you can't get it to work on a real tuff car. It's not like cars have had dbw for 15 yrs. Lols

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
                Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Started off great, poor guy and kids.

Comment

So it'll be impounded now for hoon law, then after 30 days he will have to pay cash to fix it 'cos no insurance will cover it?
                    '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

This is about 15 mins from my place. It was during a school formal. Always one wanker to ruin it for the rest.

We had our formal the other month. 99% of drivers were fine, one spastic decided to light it up and sent a very nice old Monaro (or something similar IDK) backwards through a road sign. Car was borrowed.

Comment

Throttle jammed open? Poor form blaming it on that. If only it wasn't wide open on a street like that in the first place?
                        Last edited by Shonky; 19-11-20, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post
                          So it'll be impounded now for hoon law, then after 30 days he will have to pay cash to fix it 'cos no insurance will cover it?
                          Prolly Type 1 offence so 90 days, then the fines which would be careless driving so thats 5k then there is the towing fee's and impound fee's.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

That's a good point. There isn't any scratches on the bellcrank to suggest that it hit the ground during the rollover and snapped off that way....and the inlet tubing around the TB is still mint. If the thing just snapped off (which the misaligned cable would contribute to) then that would make sense
                            Dimi and Babs are on the money. Something has broken looking at those photos. The TPS would only be doing transient enrichment, so even it went into an error state the EFI would still be supporting the RPM and load requirements.

(and yes, it was a dumb place to drop a skid, but ive done my share of dumb things too)

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post
                              IMO, the edge of the bonnet probably knocked the end off in the hit, you can hear RPM variations, any car with power ive seen get stuck WOT just pegs limiter till its shut down.

Also my compliments to the throttle cable bracket guy, close bro only missed the alignment by an inch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TBL.png
Views:	616
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	7199669
                              Completely agree. The sound doesn't match at all for a jammed throttle.

The two different hose clamps triggers my OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post
                                And don't forget the costs of the bollards, the damage to the restaurant fixtures to be replaced and/or repaired plus the chance of civil action from those hurt, and maybe also up for their medical costs as well if the TAC, being a Vic registered car, wipe their hands of it.

That's one expensive burnout.....

Comment

Working...
                                X