No announcement yet.

Modded Torana crashes into restaurant while doing burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah - not convinced about the throttle... Dont forget between hitting the curb and bollard/pole - it was enough to put the thing on its side, and spin it around. Throttle and cable looks shitty to begin with, but was it the impact that caused it to come apart?
    Anyway - as has been mentioned - whats the point of doing a burnout like that in that sort of area (I know the area - and couldnt think of a worse area to do it). Guessing it was all about impressing some high school kids that just wanted to be able to put it on facebook and get some likes. In that case - job well done!

Comment

Originally posted by vs355 View Post
      Yeah - not convinced about the throttle... Dont forget between hitting the curb and bollard/pole - it was enough to put the thing on its side, and spin it around. Throttle and cable looks shitty to begin with, but was it the impact that caused it to come apart?
      Anyway - as has been mentioned - whats the point of doing a burnout like that in that sort of area (I know the area - and couldnt think of a worse area to do it). Guessing it was all about impressing some high school kids that just wanted to be able to put it on facebook and get some likes. In that case - job well done!
      Me neither. It's a steep, twisty, bumpy street with heavy pedestrian traffic, a playground on one side and al fresco dining on the other.

Pretty much the definition of 'places not to do a burnout'.

Comment

Originally posted by im_boostn View Post
        Started off great, poor guy and kids.
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post

BUT,

Go back and look at the first pic i posted, about 1/4 of the shaft that holds the blade in is hanging down still attached to the throttle cable. Cable didn't come off, the shaft has snapped so no return spring unless that cheap shit china TB is a double return. Technically blade could jam open due to the snapped shaft, tps reads still at wot and feeds in the fuel as its on the other end of the shaft and away she goes.
          The change of revs in the skid and at not even a second of limiter bash at the impact or tip over makes me think otherwise.
          I probably should have used by italics.

It’s pretty obvious he had no issue with the throttle initiating the skid, and maybe it did break because he didn’t have a pedal stop in the cabin and instead tore the end off the chinabay TB?
          ---
          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

It’s a hard one. It most definitely is the wrong place and time to skid. And if you’re going to skid you need to be able to pull out of it even if the throttle sticks. And he’s ruining it for the rest of us (that’s my biggest gripe I think)

And although I’m 100% certain I wouldn’t have ripped a skid there if I was in his seat, I feel for him as he’s proper fucked now and wishes he just stayed home

Comment

BUT,

Go back and look at the first pic i posted, about 1/4 of the shaft that holds the blade in is hanging down still attached to the throttle cable. Cable didn't come off, the shaft has snapped so no return spring unless that cheap shit china TB is a double return. Technically blade could jam open due to the snapped shaft, tps reads still at wot and feeds in the fuel as its on the other end of the shaft and away she goes.
              The change of revs in the skid and at not even a second of limiter bash at the impact or tip over makes me think otherwise.
              Do you have a pic of the opposite side? Could it have not have been damaged from the other side during the impact?

Comment

a 49yr old bloke taking kids to a formal and he decides a skid in that exact spot is a good idea? Sure we've all done dumbshit that could of ended badly but this seems like next level stupid for someone that is old enough to know better?

or am i being an old man ( albeit much younger then old mate) yelling at clouds?
                RB26......................Again

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                  And if you’re going to skid you need to be able to pull out of it even if the throttle sticks.
                  Things happen awful fast in a 7 second street car. As has been said, you can hear him working the throttle and a 1200hp car will be hard at the limiter in less than a second during a skid if stuck at WOT

Hope the people aren’t too badly hurt, for their sake and his
                  I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Guys a fucking moron, dumb as a pallet of bricks

Why the fuck would you do a skid there, ignoring the bit about crashing into people having a bite to eat - Your going to get filmed by a fucking heap of people and as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow the local HWP will end up watching the footage on facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

I probably should have used by italics.

It’s pretty obvious he had no issue with the throttle initiating the skid, and maybe it did break because he didn’t have a pedal stop in the cabin and instead tore the end off the chinabay TB?
                      Having had a throttle jam open at full noise due to lack of a throttle stop breaking the throttle plate (Rorges turbo mx5 in 3rd driving it fucking hard.) it ain't that hard to pop it out of gear, kill the ignition and get on the brakes... I even drove it about 2 km by turning the ignition on and off and letting it bounce off the limiter.. Lolz..

He clearly deserves everything coming his way..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                      2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

I'll donate drive by wire pedal
                        3D scanning
                        3D modelling
                        Structural certification
                        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Originally posted by elfturbomax View Post
                          Do you have a pic of the opposite side? Could it have not have been damaged from the other side during the impact?
                          No, the pic I posted was just lifted off a Facebook post from his mates saying leave him alone he's a good bloke. No body said he wasn't?

Bloke is in a rough spot now, even if he wants to put his hand up and say "yeah I didn't think and I've fucked up, I'm sorry" He can't, cops will just use it against him and will probably get some extra jail time for it. He only has the mechanical failure defence, in much the same manner as that someone that lost their XW into a house a few years ago, this guy is just lucky no unborn babies died so they won't go as hard.

Comment

No, the pic I posted was just lifted off a Facebook post from his mates saying leave him alone he's a good bloke. No body said he wasn't?

Bloke is in a rough spot now, even if he wants to put his hand up and say "yeah I didn't think and I've fucked up, I'm sorry" He can't, cops will just use it against him and will probably get some extra jail time for it.
                            He’s entitled to a reduced sentence with an early guilty plea
                            I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Bloke is in a rough spot now, even if he wants to put his hand up and say "yeah I didn't think and I've fucked up, I'm sorry" He can't, cops will just use it against him and will probably get some extra jail time for it. He only has the mechanical failure defence, in much the same manner as that someone that lost their XW into a house a few years ago, this guy is just lucky no unborn babies died so they won't go as hard.
                              He only has the "mechanical failure" defence if that's what really happened and even then it doesn't absolve him completely. He still opened the throttle initially right? IMO he "didn't think and fucked up" regardless (no if).

Why not kill ignition or get it out of gear? Sure engine may die, but what else are you going to do if you're blaming it on a stuck throttle? Likely still better than the damage that occurred anywhay.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post

Having had a throttle jam open at full noise due to lack of a throttle stop breaking the throttle plate (Rorges turbo mx5 in 3rd driving it fucking hard.) it ain't that hard to pop it out of gear, kill the ignition and get on the brakes... I even drove it about 2 km by turning the ignition on and off and letting it bounce off the limiter.. Lolz..

He clearly deserves everything coming his way..
                                Apparently he tried to kill the ignition and get on the brakes but no dice, I don't think there are any brakes in the world that will stop a 1200hp car at full noise and already at speed and do it all in the space of about 20mtrs (about how much room there is where he stacked it).

I'm going to leave you alone for comparing stopping a runaway MX5 vs doing the same in a runaway 1200hp TT V8

Being the car is with crash forensics (obviously) I reckon it will be interesting to hear what else is found. Technically if it's engineered in Vic and driven here on Vic rego then he's inside the rules (I think?) but we all know why people have arrangements like that and the cop on the street might not cotton on but I bet forensics aren't that silly but no idea if they can actually ping him for stuff you wouldn't normally be able to rego here.
                                Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X