Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find unfinished/project cars these days?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Where to find unfinished/project cars these days?

    Years ago it used to be that the various make and model specific forums used to be a good resource for finding unfinished project cars, but when all the forums died lots of them went to Gumtree. But now Gumtree and FB marketplace are just full of scammers and people advertising stuff for ridiculous money saying "i no wot i have mate" and so finding various cars in various states is a lot harder.

    Im thinking about picking up a long term project (3-5+ years) that I can tinker on with the kids, but finding a suitable start is proving annoying.

    Where is the go now?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

    #2
    honest answer, scumtree and fb. but only certain groups. save it the scrappers enemy is ok. yeah theres the odd chode but most isnt bad.

    other option is go for a drive and knock some doors. a mate got a nice running but rough hr wagon for 3k last month that way
    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

    Comment


      #3
      it's weird hey, it's like that whole side of the car scene has regressed. fb has killed a lot of that community
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
      The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019

      I promised to leave if Trump loses

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by takai View Post
        Years ago it used to be that the various make and model specific forums used to be a good resource for finding unfinished project cars, but when all the forums died lots of them went to Gumtree. But now Gumtree and FB marketplace are just full of scammers and people advertising stuff for ridiculous money saying "i no wot i have mate" and so finding various cars in various states is a lot harder.

        Im thinking about picking up a long term project (3-5+ years) that I can tinker on with the kids, but finding a suitable start is proving annoying.

        Where is the go now?
        Every PF members garage :D
        Jason Broadhurst

        Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

        Comment


          #5

          Originally posted by trdee View Post
          it's weird hey, it's like that whole side of the car scene has regressed. fb has killed a lot of that community
          Yeah, even at the beginning you could find half finished MR2s and stuff on Toyspuds FB, but not anymore.

          Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post

          Every PF members garage :D
          Lol, but on here we are (in)sane enough to think we can still finish them
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

          Comment


            #6
            Fb marketplace annoys me that I cant search "Project" Australia wide and can only span 250km.

            I've always enjoyed searching project in Tasmania.
            Seems to be more old shit stashed down there for cheaper prices.
            I like Football and Porno and books about War

            Comment


              #7
              country vic can turn up decent crap. also check clearing sales. there was a triumph one this year with good running projects selling for $300.
              I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

              I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

              robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by bryan View Post
                I've always enjoyed searching project in Tasmania.
                Seems to be more old shit stashed down there for cheaper prices.
                There really is. It's crazy down here, paddocks full of hoarded treasures everywhere. I can inspect and store stuff for PFers if it's far south Tas.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by aerobrick View Post

                  There really is. It's crazy down here, paddocks full of hoarded treasures everywhere. I can inspect and store stuff for PFers if it's far south Tas.
                  Any old 70s 911 nuggets around? 😂

                  More realistically looking at a SW20 or ZZW30.
                  Last edited by takai; 23-11-20, 05:04 PM.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget
                  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                  Comment


                    #10
                    There's two GTiRs within 5km, so an sw20 isn't unlikely 🤷‍♂️

                    Comment


                      #11
                      facey marketplace search is abysmal, i put in MR2 and got 1 result selling a mr2 bodykit and then a thousand adds for everything but mr2
                      www.holditflat.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yeah I find that too. Typed in E63 and get all these ads for C200 and other shitboxes. The 250km range limit is crap. I just drag the circle to cover as much of Newcastle, Sydney, and Wollongong as I can fit in it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-s...upe/2202675597

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Wow ... that looks almost like replacing a windscreen under insurance is write-off cost!

                            What's the go for stat write-offs in NSW these days? Can they be repaired & registered? I assume they always carry a stigma forever after ...
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Someone will pay over retail for it though. Insurance co cant loose by writing it off. Insured owner happy, ins co better off than fixing it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X