2020 Final Subaru Liberty for Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
    A lot easier to sell shitty, outdated technology and crappy interiors by calling it an ‘SUV’.
    They don't even have a proper one of those though.. which definitely screws them in the Australian market

Probably time to start a "Subaru gone... " thread :p
    RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
      Was a great daily, should have kept it. But it was on engine #3 at 220k.
      Really? I'd be pretty shitty if a daily didn't do 300k+, 80k on an engine is dreadful.

Comment

Seems like no one has actually driven any of these? I’ve dailyed a 4th gen 6cyl outback for 7 years. And before that a 2.5 lib. Also have a new 5th gen 3.6 outback in the family.
        the new outback is a much nicer place to be. Doesn’t go or rev like the 3.0 but that’s not what it’s about. The only thing that makes it look shit are the skinny wheels and tyres. It does it’s intended job perfectly and fuck knows I’d rather drive it than any Mitsubishi
        WRXs on the other hand are no longer a performance car. Every time I get in one, even and sti I’m left thinking what is this junk. They don’t go at all in stock form. They’ve totally lost the “excitement” if you can call it that. They are not fun to drive anymore

Comment

Aren’t they up to 6th Gen now?

I drove a 5th Gen rental ... didn’t even notice the cheapness c/f the 4th Gen. I can sort-of understand why people don’t like the CVT, but only sort-of, because it’s only an auto anyway. I guess they’re more exxy than a Camry or Accord ‘cos otherwise I don’t see why they don’t sell as many as Toyota sells Camrys and Honda sells Accords.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Not sure what the hate is for the appliance side of the range, i have a 2.5 year old 3.6 outback, it does what it says on the tin and stacked up ok for money. I tow a bit of 1t with it being mechanically sympathetic. I actually like the CVT on this engine, smoother than DCTs and traditional autos, certainly helped get the fuel down on the older style motor, i think most of the complaints are from the 4 banger + CVT.

The good
            Its AWD and has a bit of ground clearance we go on gravel roads and go camping a bit and my old falcon used to get bogged all the bloody time in wet grass.
            Its not a full size 4wd and very much drives like a car which given it spends 99% of its time as a car i like it.
            The boot is good, not falcon good but better than the similar sized SUV crowd.
            Has all the modern safety gear auto break, blind spot, adaptive cruise, lane assist.
            Decent NVR its quiet and smooth in side.
            Sound system and good apps work well together.
            The roof racks built in are really handy for when you need to grab something at bunnings

The bad or should i say the bland.
            The engine hasn't kept up with tech, sure it was good 10 years ago when it was released but similar sized engines are getting more power better econ now. Power is enough for an appliance but fuel can be a bit average sitting north of 13l per 100 around the suburbs.
            All the modern tech is clearly just bolted on, yes it has auto boot opener but it almost feels aftermarket, the sunroof controlls are dumb if its tilted you have to shut it to open it, blind spot monitor is a LED on the side of the housing.
            CVT scares me if it does ever bite the bullet.
            Some of the interior trim is a bit meh but i would put it on spec with other jap stuff, i wouldn't say its any worse than the low spec lexus, upper spec toyota gear.
            Its styling (more so exterior) is a bit overly fussy as they have bolted shit on to make it look more 'tough' with flares and shit and 'classy' with too much detail but all that shit again is very Jap.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post

Really? I'd be pretty shitty if a daily didn't do 300k+, 80k on an engine is dreadful.
              Yeah I wasn't impressed. I bought the car with 150k on it, it had an engine replaced under goodwill at 100k, so 50k on the new engine when I got it. That engine then popped at around 220k, and I put a wrecker motor in it with unknown kms and sold it. Changed oil every 5k, car got all the love. The final engine blew around 500km after the oil change, I'd used Nulon oil instead of the usual stuff I get, may have been a contributing factor. Spun a big end bearing. Dunno what the original motor failed from. I suspect there was an oil delivery issue/restriction somewhere. It was a highway car for me, so it didn't work hard.

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post

or the other one I like.. "Tuned by STi" which just consisted of a spoiler, front lip, wheels and some STi logo's plastered over the car...

The fact the STi is still using the old EJ engine says it all....
                As an owner of a club spec 10, this kicked me right in the balls lol. It's literally what you typed.

Comment

Lol.

Funny enough the TBSTI actually sort of means something in the libs, well gen 4 anyway. They get brembos, lower springs, different seats and a massive 10 extra kilowasps. + some other shit I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by brasher View Post

As an owner of a club spec 10, this kicked me right in the balls lol. It's literally what you typed.
                    Sorry hahaha

Even the GV model which my STi is... They came out with that Tangerine orange Club Spec... no performance updates over the wrx, just the boot spolier side mirrors, wheels front guard badges and front splitter in black... then there was the RS40.. same treatment, only it was all blue with gold wheels and the STi Recaros.... Subaru really know how to break new ground and push the limits

And then i saw the renders of the new WRX/STi....

Click image for larger version

Name:	wrx-sti-1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	7203122

And then when it's finally released, this is what we'll get:

Name:	d01abffe-2017-subaru-wrx-sti-final-edition-0.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	7203123

Nothing new, still running the same EJ engine/6speed combo...
                    /csh Racing

Comment

Remember in circa 2013 the concept of the current version was this

Name:	Large Image_9494.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	7203137
                      Attached Files
                      "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Originally posted by Reax View Post
                        Remember in circa 2013 the concept of the current version was this

Name:	Large Image_9494.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	7203137
                        it has yellow brembo's so that concept was true..
                        /csh Racing

Comment

Are the Levorgs any good?
                          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                            Are the Levorgs any good?
                            Basically a WRX wagon. But with a CVT and shit suspension.

Fanbois are putting exhausts on them and trying to kid themselves by saying that they sound good.

Comment

Levorgs are a fair bit bigger than a WRX wagon. Why they are CVT only does my head in, why Subaru haven't built a proper auto or dsg box by now and persists with CVTs does my fucking head in.

Levorgs would be a decent ride if they just shoved the 6 speed manual in.
                              If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                                Levorgs are a fair bit bigger than a WRX wagon.
                                You sure about that? The dimensions are basically the same, Levorg is 95mm longer & 15mm taller (I imagine some of that is suspension & some wagonoid styling), but it's 15mm narrower (probably all of that being flares on the WRX). They run the same tracks & wheelbase.
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X