Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shannon's roadside assistance

Anyone using this?

The Ultimate allows you to list up to 8 cars which is great for weekenders which the NRMA makes you pay twice for.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Never heard of it although listing 8 cars sounds good which others don't do.

Used NRMA tow once when vp ute broke down & had to wait 4hrs for towie which wasn't a flat tray...no way I'd have used it for a nice weekender.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Tried to get some info.off the website but no costs listed that I could I find.

How much is it??? And how many cars??? If it is comparable to RACQ then it would save me swapping cars all the time for cover.

Comment

RACV top level cover lets me drive any car, owned by anyone and they'll help me out plus one nominated vehicle that anyone could drive .

We always have nopics car nominated to cover her, with me as the awesome guy for whatever I was driving.

The only issues i've had is calling them and saying "its fucked, send a truck" and having them send their qualified roadside assist guy who doesnt stock spare holden engines or fried starters then having to wait longer for them to send a truck because it's fucked.

Comment

One roadside guy taught me the "hit the fuel tank with a lump of wood and don't fucking turn the engine off" trick for dicky v6 commodore fuel pumps, that was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
            Tried to get some info.off the website but no costs listed that I could I find.

How much is it??? And how many cars??? If it is comparable to RACQ then it would save me swapping cars all the time for cover.

RACQ 'Ultra Care' allows you to nominate 1 car (doesn't matter who is driving it) and a also 1 driver who can be driving any car..
            I nominate the gf's car so she's covered and nominate myself as the driver so I'm also covered while driving any of my shitboxes.
            By doing it this way I have ~10 vehicles covered.
            Currently $212 per year.
            https://www.racq.com.au/roadside-ass...adside-options

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post

RACQ 'Ultra Care' allows you to nominate 1 car (doesn't matter who is driving it) and a also 1 driver who can be driving any car..
              I nominate the gf's car so she's covered and nominate myself as the driver so I'm also covered while driving any of my shitboxes.
              By doing it this way I have ~10 vehicles covered.
              Currently $212 per year.
              https://www.racq.com.au/roadside-ass...adside-options

This also applies on the standard $100 plan if you're a Gold member (25+ years I think) so if you're at the level you might be able to go on a lower plan. Missing some of the other benefits though of course.

Old man put me on when I first got my licence and have had it since. Probably haven't used it all that much but reckon it's definitely paid for itself.
              Last edited by Shonky; 28-11-20, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I'm a Gold member at 30 years. I didn't know they did the same kind of arrangement on the standard plan.. I'll ask about that next time the bill arrives

Comment

Is this a recent thing they offer?

Been with Shannon's for about 13 years now. Never had roadside assist the whole time but did ask them a few years ago if I could get some coverage for breakdown but basically they told me to get RACV.

Comment

I have had the RACQ ultra before, but with getting free roadside assistance through ford dropped it back as I didn't need the extra coverage as I was out of the country.

Would be nice to know how the Shannons assistance package compares when multiple cars are covered, and who Shannons uses to fix the car.

Comment

RAA any level covers the member in any car.

bit of a hassle being a RAA member in NRMA territory, takes a little longer to get your membership recognised, and they send a NRMA guy/tow anyway.

NRMA can go get fucked charging per car.

GT-P
                      Bandsenkowagon

Comment

NRMA premium paid for itself getting a tow from Goulburn home.

But its taking the piss charging you per car, especially for classics that never get driven.

In Europe or the US you just paid once.

So anyone on here from Shannons (of which there are a few!) fill us in?
                        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

I'm about to call them and sus it out, have been wondering the same

Was not a fan of the $400 tow home from SMSP I had recently.

Comment

I have NRMA and leave it on my main car but you can login and change the details to whatever car you want. Swapped it on saturday when one of my other cars broke down but in the end decided it was going to be easier swapping a fuel pump in a Bunnings carpark than waiting for them, so i can't confirm if they actually check/care how long since you changed the details.
                            Just swapped it back to my main car again and it didn't have any problems changing too soon after the last change.
                            as short as possible

Comment

Also interested to know the story and costs - heard it mentioned in the MCM vid where the Subie died at SMSP. Thought "huh, didn't know they did roadside".

If it's a flat fee and covers a few cars/bikes, I'd be VERY interested. Never had roadside before because I found it to be a rip off.
                              Swedish Soot Chucker
                              Orange Accident KE10

Comment

Working...
                              X