No announcement yet.

Crazy high car auction prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is certainly some big spending going on at the moment in the world that doesn’t make any sense to me.
    Originally posted by My mate Nathan
    "Boob is almost as good as cunt"

Comment

Some purveyors of the bernie madoff school of finance?

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
        I doubt anyone who would buy that car for a quarter of a million dollars would want to actually drive a Commodore ute.
        My guess is that they're all thinking that if someone will bid against them at near 3/4 of a million now, that in future someone will bid more.
        Money laundering. It will probably show up as a seized criminal asset some time.

Comment

Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III sets auction record

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...record-113183/

Australian classic car auctioneers expect to be “inundated” by owners of the legendary Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III after a unique example set a new auction record of $1,030,000 on the weekend.

This pristine example once owned by Australian cricketer Jeff Thomson broke the million-dollar barrier — the first Australian production car to do so — at Lloyds Auctions in Bathurst on Saturday.

The iconic Ford wasn’t the only Aussie muscle-car in demand from cashed-up baby-boomers on Saturday, when an extremely rare Holden Torana A9X GMP&A sold for $500,000.

One of just 33 examples built, the unique Torana had travelled just 14km and was kept in a bricked-up garage for more than 30 years in near-new condition.
          Last edited by Falc&Send; 10-01-21, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falc&Send View Post
            Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III sets auction record

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...record-113183/

That was June 2018... Made me wonder.

Seems like the craze has been going on for a while (but these are worthwhile examples, I guess)

Comment

Boomers who can't even use facebook or send an email, shouldn't be allowed to bid online. Lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
              Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

That was June 2018... Made me wonder.
                I didn't even look at the date of the article before posting...sorry. I just saw the link come up on FB or Twitter and assumedit was a new article and remembered there was a thread here about high auction prices.

I can sorta but not really understand to some degree people paying big money for Phase 3s and A9Xs and other like muscle cars but not garden variety 6 cyl XF utes

Comment

Originally posted by Falc&Send View Post

I didn't even look at the date of the article before posting...sorry. I just saw the link come up on FB or Twitter and assumedit was a new article and remembered there was a thread here about high auction prices.

I can sorta but not really understand to some degree people paying big money for Phase 3s and A9Xs and other like muscle cars but not garden variety 6 cyl XF utes
                  Yeah, honestly, it's nuts. But if you have that much spare cash and nothing to spend it all on, i guess there's worse ways to blow the cash...

But it's not for me!

Comment

Watching the W1 sitting on $750k with a keen interest
                    I'm still scratching my head at how ballistic late model HSV prices gone in general over the last 6 months and I'm still trying to work out what's the driving factor.
                    Is it cashed up tradies that can't blow it on sluts in Bali and figure they may as well buy a car or is it a case of genuine enthusiasts wanting one before they are all flogged out? Without a real explanation for the COVID tax, its hard to know when its going to end. I can read the stock market easier.

Every week that goes by I'm thinking more and more its the right time to sell both HSV's and put that money into a porka manual GT3 or and weissach RS. I've keep convincing myself there are more reasons a GT3/RS is a better long term investment and a fun car over a commodore with a body kit. But I am also a wog/bogan at heart and don't want to be telling my kids stories in 20 years about dad owning 2 original XU1 GTRs and selling them for peanuts and cursing the day like half the oldies do these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post
                      Watching the W1 sitting on $750k with a keen interest
                      I'm still scratching my head at how ballistic late model HSV prices gone in general over the last 6 months and I'm still trying to work out what's the driving factor.
                      Is it cashed up tradies that can't blow it on sluts in Bali and figure they may as well buy a car or is it a case of genuine enthusiasts wanting one before they are all flogged out? Without a real explanation for the COVID tax, its hard to know when its going to end. I can read the stock market easier.

Every week that goes by I'm thinking more and more its the right time to sell both HSV's and put that money into a porka manual GT3 or and weissach RS. I've keep convincing myself there are more reasons a GT3/RS is a better long term investment and a fun car over a commodore with a body kit. But I am also a wog/bogan at heart and don't want to be telling my kids stories in 20 years about dad owning 2 original XU1 GTRs and selling them for peanuts and cursing the day like half the oldies do these days.
                      I'd sell them.

Are people going to care about Holdens in 10-20 years time?

The Porsche market is global (or at least LHD is!) and many valuable Australian delivered cars have been exported to the UK later in their lives due to relative pricing and lack of rust.

The one worry about GT3s (especially later ones) is that they made heaps of them. Its not like the old days where volumes were low.
                      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Agreed.

I sold mine as I'd ticked that box, and TBH, they are shit cars at the end of the day.
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post

I'd sell them.

Are people going to care about Holden's in 10-20 years time?

The Porsche market is global (or at least LHD is!) and many valuable Australian delivered cars have been exported to the UK later in their lives due to relative pricing and lack of rust.

The one worry about GT3s (especially later ones) is that they made heaps of them. Its not like the old days where volumes were low.
                          My thoughts too, on the other hand it took 30 years + for GTHO's, Monaros and Toranas to get to lottery number prices. That time roughly coincides with kids of the era the car was released in wanting to buy their hero cars and once in their 40-50s and they are comfortable enough to afford it. Will we see that with the kids of today? Maybe, but will we all be is Tesla's by then and ICE cars are redundant garage ornaments.

The plenty of GT3's is/isn't a concern really, production numbers are probably not all that dissimilar to HSV numbers when put into comparison with the world market and not the tiny AU population. But that's why i'd be looking for a unique build to 991.2 manual GT3 and Welsbach pack RS are much rare and both would probably lending them self to being more favourable long term in my mind.

Someone lend me a crystal ball.

Comment

So after a pint and dinner last night wandered into one of the remaining Holdsen yards in Perf.

Mate bought a 2016, VF Calais-V, 6 litre in April last year. Paid well under $30k for it. Saw the same model, km and spec (sunroof, HUD, leather etc) for $55k.

Are people paying near this money for them?

There was even this in the show room.

Yes Ladies and Gents, a $209,988 Holden Commodore ute.
                            Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Umm, just saw that stampduty needs to be paid on it. Another $13k !

Click image for larger version

Name:	StampDuty.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	7216431
                              Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                                Mate bought a 2016, VF Calais-V, 6 litre in April last year. Paid well under $30k for it. Saw the same model, km and spec (sunroof, HUD, leather etc) for $55k.
                                If your mate's car is a 6L, it's a VF & not a VF2; a 2016 is a VF2 mit LS3, and they're in higher demand than a VF.
                                Having said that, Shannons recommended we put our VF1 up to $50k agreed-value (had dropped to $37k following the normal depreciation curve they follow).

Meanwhile on the Bogandore forum, bloke with 30yr relationship with car dealer salesbloke was talking to said salesbloke about VF2 prices, they're apparently successfully selling 2017 SSV Redlines for ~$70k at the moment.
                                Last edited by Captiva Fan; 13-01-21, 09:49 PM.
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X