No announcement yet.

Crazy high car auction prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buyer was probably that LCMT+ or whatever they're called.

Comment

https://richmonds.com.au/portfolio/2...mited-edition/

Another one, crazy.

Comment

$150k bahaha

Oh man.
        Fortune favours the white knights

Comment

Fucking spastics would be better off buying 3 GR Yaris', driving 1 of them and keeping 2 in a bubble. They'll be worth more than one of these turds ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gats View Post
            Fucking spastics would be better off buying 3 GR Yaris', driving 1 of them and keeping 2 in a bubble. They'll be worth more than one of these turds ever will be.
            I beg to differ with your last comment, although I do agree that this thing is not worth more than 3 Yarii. Beyond me.
            Originally posted by My mate Nathan
            "Boob is almost as good as cunt"

Comment

Originally posted by tipper View Post
              Rarity and performance makes for quite a package, this car comes with the following features :-

2 Front Headrests
              2 Rear Headrests
              Geez, here I was thinking the BMW and Porsche option sheets are a bit steep from anything more than a windscreen...

"Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Probably well unrelated... but maybe not?
                Came across this vid discussing spiking video game prices. Obviously we can look at covid lockdowns as being something that has some kind of sense to it in terms of price hikes for hobby cars and SUV's etc, but talking about car auctions generally.
                We don't have a grading system as discussed in this vid, but we definitely have the rest of it - specific auction houses coming along, promising outrageous prices, putting up ridiculous sales, going on the PR campaign with the results then repeating the cycle once again.

It really makes me wonder about how much of the classic car market is pure market manipulation. I think there are punters out there with stupid money that don't give a fuck, but how far has it been pushed to get them there?

Edit: it does also make me think about the difference in motivation and outcome between a buyer that genuinely wants the item vs one that never wanted the item, only the money. No doubt there's a lot of that in cars at the moment. (End edit)

(I did think of the videos that don't warrant a thread thread before ending here, soz if not the right topic but I feel it's relevant).
                Last edited by leothedrummer; 26-08-21, 12:44 AM.
                BMW E21 Racer

ATCC & V8SC Results, Data, Statistics and Discussion from 1960 to now

Comment

Originally posted by leothedrummer View Post
                  Came across this vid discussing spiking video game prices. Obviously we can look at covid lockdowns as being something that has some kind of sense to it in terms of price hikes for hobby cars and SUV's etc, but talking about car auctions generally.
                  We don't have a grading system as discussed in this vid, but we definitely have the rest of it - specific auction houses coming along, promising outrageous prices, putting up ridiculous sales, going on the PR campaign with the results then repeating the cycle once again.

It really makes me wonder about how much of the classic car market is pure market manipulation. I think there are punters out there with stupid money that don't give a fuck, but how far has it been pushed to get them there?

Edit: it does also make me think about the difference in motivation and outcome between a buyer that genuinely wants the item vs one that never wanted the item, only the money. No doubt there's a lot of that in cars at the moment. (End edit)

(I did think of the videos that don't warrant a thread thread before ending here, soz if not the right topic but I feel it's relevant).
                  shifted will be able to give some insight into this market

Comment

Originally posted by leothedrummer View Post

Comes up a fair bit on the Smoking Tire podcast. Circle jerk dealers and auction houses pushing up prices through a high profile auction result.
                    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

shifted will be able to give some insight into this market
                      I've never bothered with buying sealed games - always seemed hyperinflated from the pricing I've witnessed over the last decade.

The pricing that started popping up with that $2m sale - thought it was BS straight away - there's a heap of sealed games out there, doesn't make any logical sense that anyone would pay such a value for that item. WATA hasn't been around anywhere near as long as VGA who has a proven track record either, so did seem fishy, no population list etc. Speaking with other collectors recently we're expecting the sealed game market to take a bit of a dive as a result of this coming out.

I've seen some pretty crazy prices for some games in general, there's many that are worth thousands, some worth ten's of thousands. eBay itself has always been a place of shill bidding, but occassionally you get some good deals.

I've ticked over 4,500 games currently, full N64 set - have a couple "new" N64 games but unsealed; Shadowgate64, Blues Brothers 2000 - might have to get facebook back just to access the trading groups again and see what's been happening over the last couple years. Shame we lost NintendoAge.

VGA graded games were trading hands a fair bit (heaps on eBay) when I still had FB for the trading groups, so up to around 2018, usually in the $200-$5,000 range. Might have to look up and see if there's been any crazy eBay sales in recent times over in the UK (where most originated from, as a lot of Australian stock naturally came unsealed). I wouldn't trust a random auction house like Heritage as a price guide, given similar items pop up on ebay there'd be some price history there at least for reference.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11494637...kAAOSwZChhIDGS
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114945402...0AAOSw9GZhH6iq
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

My guess is these items never sold, and are trying to be used to shill the pricing up:
                      https://www.ebay.com.au/bfl/viewbids...p2047675.l2565
                      https://www.ebay.com.au/bfl/viewbids...p2047675.l2565

I struggle to see how this game is worth $6k
                      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Ma...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by shifted; 26-08-21, 12:38 PM.
                      '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                        Comes up a fair bit on the Smoking Tire podcast. Circle jerk dealers and auction houses pushing up prices through a high profile auction result.
                        Might try and check it out. I hadn't given much thought to car auction prices as I've been away from classic cars for a while, but the point the game price video made about auction houses standing to benefit from higher prices whilst at the same time promoting / claiming / pushing higher prices immediately made me think of car prices.
                        BMW E21 Racer

Comment

Whiny greasy turd at Curated is an example of circle jerk dealers.
                          Originally posted by Stix Z
                          i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
                            Whiny greasy turd at Curated is an example of circle jerk dealers.
                            Was, maybe still is a real estate thing that happened in Perfs during the early to mid 2000's. Dealers would get together and set a base price for a suburb and see what bit, then use that as a pricing point driving up commissions for them, mortgage brokers and the banks. Its a great case example on how to set a base price on an item, even if supply meets demeand
                            "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Was, maybe still is a real estate thing that happened in Perfs during the early to mid 2000's. Dealers would get together and set a base price for a suburb and see what bit, then use that as a pricing point driving up commissions for them, mortgage brokers and the banks. Its a great case example on how to set a base price on an item, even if supply meets demeand
                              Same thing happens in melb. ‘Choi boys’ did it in SE melb.

Didnt the same thing happen with Ferrari F40s? Owners got together and decided not to sell for under 1mil, nek minnut prices skyrocket.
                              Originally posted by Stix Z
                              i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
                                Didnt the same thing happen with Ferrari F40s? Owners got together and decided not to sell for under 1mil, nek minnut prices skyrocket.
                                Obviously I'm just talking shit with nothing concrete, but it felt like that happened with E30 M3's a few years back. $35k-$50k car all day every day, then $120k+ overnight. Just felt weird.

BMW E21 Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X