• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solutions for splitter killing driveways

Click image for larger version

Name:	42A99A43-4AC3-441E-8B09-C2CC4D0F29EB.jpeg
Views:	685
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	7215474 Looking for solutions to the entrance to our driveway which is a bit of a front splitter killer. The road level falls away sharply which leaves a big dip in the gutter at the perfect spot to bottom out my front end if I go any faster than 3kph.

Anyone recommend either a temporary or permanent solution? We’re renting and it’s a block of townhouses so permanent solutions will all be subject to strata approval. So a decent temp solution will probably work for me too. Short of getting the council to re surface the entire street.

I feel like a 2 piece wedge arrangement would be the way to go here but am keen to see who else has done something similar.

Name:	8271C16A-1ED1-494F-B4CB-480E23CE0C35.jpeg
Views:	670
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	7215475

checkplate spanning the gutter and dynabolted down?

Comment

https://jlcproducts.com.au/driveway-approach/

Comment

Yep one of the options, a lot of those steel plate jobs you see end up bent and sad looking after a short time but if done right would work. Wouldn’t mind something temporary in the interim to see what works.
        Last edited by Reedy; 11-01-21, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Good man, this is the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Comment

Thick steel plate, preferably bolted in place

Comment

Perfect the lebo shuffle manoeuvre.

Comment

A length of suitably sized hardwood placed in the gutter opening. Or some bricks.
                Last edited by CheapDick; 11-01-21, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Air ride.

Comment

Bags!

Why don't you just (in the middle of the night, obviously) pour a couple small bits of concrete in the gutter and pretend you've got no idea how it got there? There's a chance no one will notice...

I would say you've got very very little chance of getting strata to approve anything, especially if you are renting, unless heaps of other owners have the same issue (if they do, appeal to them and offer to pay, they may then represent it)
                    Last edited by nutttr; 11-01-21, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Get an SUV.

Seriously though, came here to post that driveway approach link. Fuck SUVs.

Comment

https://www.ezicurb.com.au

Comment

What holds the ezicurb one down, and how do you clean under it once is blocks?

I need one of these. I've been entering my driveway very slowly at a 45 degfree angle for years in the turbo taxi.

Name:	driveway%20kerb%20ramps%20to%20prevent%20cars%20bottoming%20out.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	7215594
                          I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                            Bags!

Why don't you just (in the middle of the night, obviously) pour a couple small bits of concrete in the gutter and pretend you've got no idea how it got there? There's a chance no one will notice...

I would say you've got very very little chance of getting strata to approve anything, especially if you are renting, unless heaps of other owners have the same issue (if they do, appeal to them and offer to pay, they may then represent it)
                            Trust me I’ve thought about doing the guerilla modification.

as for strata, if the price is reasonable I’ll be happy to foot the Bill myself. One of the other residents bought a Maserati recently which surely struggles as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedy View Post

Trust me I’ve thought about doing the guerilla modification.

as for strata, if the price is reasonable I’ll be happy to foot the Bill myself. One of the other residents bought a Maserati recently which surely struggles as well.
                              Generally speaking strata can be a massive pain in the arse, so hopefully you have a good one...but they'll look at it being a trip risk, or clogging the drains up, causing extra maintenance, etc etc...

Hopefully it gets through...

​​​​​​
                              ​​surely you can get a cheap ebay version of these...? Cheap enough that you could drill them in and hope no one asks?

Comment

Working...
                              X