X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boothy.com Mexican cash-for-cars scheme announced

Originally posted by boothy.com
    Victoria announces cash-for-cars grants for young and old drivers

The state of Victoria wants to eject unsafe cars from its roads, with Premier Daniel Andrewsannouncing a 'cash-for-clunkers' style pilot program on his Facebook page.

He says the Victorian government will offer the program to young people in regional areas, scrapping their "old car" in trade for a grant to "buy something newer and safer"

Under this program, the government says it will replace 1000 cars - but it does not say what qualifies as old, or how much the grant will give young regional Australians to buy a new car.

As for Australia’s aging population, "short term, affordable leases" will be offered to regional Victorians over 65 on "lower incomes" to drive cars with "five-star safety ratings", a spokesperson says.

We asked the Victorian government for more details and how, or even if, the pilot programs will be rolled out on a wider scale.

"Further details on both trials will be made available closer to when they begin later this year," we're told.
    A bit light on the info, so I dunno if you can really comment on whether or not it's a dumb idea?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

I can see the value of certain cars going up.

Comment

Sounds OK, although replacing old cars with brand new cars for emissions is a misnomer. Good for safety stuff though
      Originally posted by ahabthearab
      If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Wasn’t this a clusterfuck in America when they did it
        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

^ And the UK too.

Their claims were about pollution, however, and this is claiming to be about safety. Which is actually a bit hard to deny, when you consider that an iffy 3yo Hyundai I30 is probably a better thing to be a crash-dummy in than (say) a minty 15yo Holden Caprice.
          Last edited by Captiva Fan; 12-01-21, 01:59 PM.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Will we send our shitboxes to NZ like Japan did?

Comment

The american scheme stopped the old cars from being parted out so I wonder if this will happen here too?

Comment

its bullshit. working in a dealer environment for 20 years, the worst cars are 3-7 years old, driven by yummy mummys with fucked everything and who just want a service no repairs. old cars over 10 years old are for the majority looked after. an its onyl 1000 cars. thats 5 dealers trade ins for 5 months in melb.
                I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                  its bullshit. working in a dealer environment for 20 years, the worst cars are 3-7 years old, driven by yummy mummys with fucked everything and who just want a service no repairs. old cars over 10 years old are for the majority looked after. an its onyl 1000 cars. thats 5 dealers trade ins for 5 months in melb.
                  It's a pilot scheme, thus the 1000.

It's about safety though; the flogged-out cars you're talking about could be fixed from a safety POV with a good service, but a 20yo car in perfect condition doesn't protect dummies from themselves near as well, and also doesn't cope as well in a prang.
                  "Pollution" is a furphy, the new 4cyl car cost more pollution to make than an HJ fitted with a twin-turbo 454 on NOS driven daily from Ballarat into the CBD for 30 years ... but "safety", I think that's actually a valid idea. If they don't allow the parts to be used/onsold, then the whole idea will have obviously been swayed entirely by the Importers Association.

Comment

Any car made in the last ten years is going to be safe. They’re just splitting hairs at this point.
                    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

I doubt cars that are only 10 years old would be involved. Not that they've said what the criteria are.

Comment

Even a BA is pretty safe, and that's nearly 20 years old.

20 year old hilux/triton/navara etc on the other hand...

D22 for example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6IsQSSSEj0

Can't find a BA but here's an AU.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbVobsLvV7E
                        Last edited by Sturmovik; 12-01-21, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I imagine it would be based on the NCAP of the car and age?

Something like a 1994 Barina is probably on the chopping block
                          Originally posted by brasher
                          TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Going to guess they might have to be quite selective on which cars, i mean, how can the guarantee the cash they give is enough to encourage the owner to get something that is considerably better?
                            Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

THEY'RE NOT TAKING MY AU!!!
                              Classic Auto Fabrications:
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Class...88753937823811

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X