Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for double Din Carplay head units with reverse camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for double Din Carplay head units with reverse camera?

I've been asked to retrofit an old lexus that has the old toyota nav headunit without the reverse camera. Looking for recommendations, as I was considering a Sony AX5000 due to the capactive display and fast reverse startup, but saw some bad reviews on sonys site

Thanks
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

I bought two of those Sony's a year or so back, one for nopics' i30 and one for my car.

The highly glossy screen shits me to tears and makes it impossible to see in some settings. Had to purchase a glare reduction film as the i30 has it mounted high up in the dash.

Avoid.

If it's running AA/Carplay the interface will be the same.

Comment

Kenwood (or JVC, same thing) or Alpine seems to be the Consensus.
      I put a DMX8019DABS in the Cayenne in 2019 and it was brilliant. I'm sure the tech has moved on since then.

Comment

I put one of these in my son's car. Very easy to install and setup. The unit is very shallow.

https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-dmh-...timedia-player
        Last edited by Spammy; 22-01-21, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I put a kenwood DMX 5020S in my outback a month or so ago (haven't had time to put the camera in yet though).
          I'm pretty happy with it, my only gripe is the volume buttons on it are a touch sensitive bit on the side of the screen rather than a physical button which makes it hard to find if you're doing it by feel. Obviously not an issue if you've got steering controls for volume...
          Apart from that it's great, carplay and android auto as well.

Comment

The entry level alpine gets my vote - doesn’t do the fancy features except for audio tuneability which it does excel at.
            ---
            Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

One of the guys I work with bought n a Erisin unit for under $200 that is a direct fit into his Rav4. This is their Toyota replacement units web page -> https://www.erisin.com/collections/toyota-407

I'm looking at getting one (reverse camera + GPS) as they are good value and seem to work well from his account.

"That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                One of the guys I work with bought n a Erisin unit for under $200 that is a direct fit into his Rav4. This is their Toyota replacement units web page -> https://www.erisin.com/collections/toyota-407

I'm looking at getting one (reverse camera + GPS) as they are good value and seem to work well from his account.
                Why do they have so many units? What is the difference between them all?
                Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Comment

Originally posted by C0V3R View Post
                  I've been asked to retrofit an old lexus that has the old toyota nav headunit without the reverse camera. Looking for recommendations, as I was considering a Sony AX5000 due to the capactive display and fast reverse startup, but saw some bad reviews on sonys site

Thanks
                  I just installed this exact model and couldn't be happier with it. I came from an alpine that had a super loud fan and was pretty average TBH.

The Kenwoods are supposed to be good, but i liked the UI and simplicity of the Sony unit. Out of 10,000,000 units sold, 12 ppl with shitty USB3 cables gave a bad review...

Comment

Originally posted by taijohnsen View Post

I just installed this exact model and couldn't be happier with it. I came from an alpine that had a super loud fan and was pretty average TBH.
                    I'm tempted to go this way... have you tried it with carplay etc via usb?

302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Orange View Post

Why do they have so many units? What is the difference between them all?
                      Dash surrounds and fitments. Work colleague got a factory looking and fitting unit but with Apple Car Play, GPS and reversing camera. They also do a LOT of VW replacement units.
                      "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

FWIW, I gave a bad review of that exact unit that had nothing to do with USB cables.

If running Carplay/AA the user interface will be identical whichever brand you end up buying.

Comment

Kenwood DMX8019s in my Outback
                          Kenwood DDX9020DABS in my NL Pajero
                          Kenwood DMX8020s in my NS Pajero

All are brilliant and very easy UI and quick to set up and operate - love the fully programmable steering wheel controls that let you do a heap more functions...

Comment

Originally posted by C0V3R View Post

I'm tempted to go this way... have you tried it with carplay etc via usb?
                            I've only used Android Auto, but it works fine for me.

Interested to hear your complaints andy_wk. (apart from the glossy screen) the screen should obviously be shaded, but i know that's not always possible.
                            Last edited by taijohnsen; 24-01-21, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
                              FWIW, I gave a bad review of that exact unit that had nothing to do with USB cables.

If running Carplay/AA the user interface will be identical whichever brand you end up buying.
                              They *should* be near identical but some of the Chinese stuff does have issues with DPI settings resulting in text that is a bit too small amongst other things. Sometimes fixable patching upgrade files, sometimes not. eg the BimmerTech BMW stuff (which is Chinese stuff that they customise and then charge double for) still has it wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X