Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for double Din Carplay head units with reverse camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone with the AX5000 for now, however stalling badly on the install.

Its seems this particular es300 has an exotic wiring harness that doesnt just plug and play with the app0258 wiring harness that is supposed to hook into the factory amp, so while it powers on and controls the antenna ok, no sound is coming out.

Its got a factory nav/cd changer setup with a 20 pin connector that I can't seem to find any matching wiring diagrams for and so far I havent successfully guessed which is the AMP on pin (unless it needs amp on plus something else). I was hoping to avoid bypassing the original kit and having to do a full speaker rewire, but now I am getting close to having to go that way.

In case there are any wizards on its got a toyota 86120-33571 fujitsu head unit in it originally.
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Comment

‚Äč

Comment

I'll ask the guys for you tomorrow they should know...
        Automotive Superstore

Comment

Ok so I have probed every single wire with the factory head unit on.

Black and brown seems to be the remote antenna trigger @ 12v
          Blue seems to correlate to when the audio is on, with about 4.68v when active (using either disc or FM) and 0.3v when off.

Nothing else seems to have a strong signal on a multimeter except the power supply rail.

Is it possible its a 5v trigger to the factory amp that ignores +12v altogether? Or is it more likely to be an annoying digital signal?

Comment

What year model is your ES300
            Automotive Superstore

Comment

Comment

Those Aerpro adapter harnesses are good, but are usually based on the most common spec of the car and don't account for any variations that might occur due to different trim levels.

I had to repin a whole bunch of stuff to get things to match the nopics i30 which had the 'premium' (awful) factory head unit with navigation.

Luckily the pinouts were printed on the unit itself and someone on one of the forums had documented the 'standard' one so I could cross-reference the differences.

Comment

My research today is pointing to it possibly being the first year of the avc-lan bus being used to turn on the factory amp instead of a normal 12v amp trigger.

That would explain the weird 4.6v voltage when the amp is on, and may nescessitate a full bypass or another adapter harness that creates the same signal.

Comment

Got one of these which did the trick in the end. Needed a digital amp-on signal not 12v.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-IsiTyP...Interface.html

Sony unit seems pretty reasonable, UI a bit bland, especially in menus. Thankfully carplay has no sony ui design!

Comment

So bumping this thread....

Looking to fit a double din in the Supra with a screen, preferrable features; good ui, bluetooth, gps, android auto, (am i missing anything?) do any of these come with a reverse camera that I could install in the Supra myself? I figure I can run the wire through the car and out over the top of the license plate so it's nicely positioned.

Is it best to go Kenwood/Sony/Alpine or are those Erisin/China screens worth a go?

I assume screen size is limited to 7"?

kabab if you have any recommendations from your store for a JZA80 then happy to buy it from you. :D
                      Last edited by shifted; 02-06-21, 11:57 AM.
                      '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Sony / Kenwood / Alpine / Pioneer / JVC are all good and they have decent range of product from entry level to full blown so you can get something that got the features / price point your after... Stock is just thin on the ground with all these brands so i'd just get what you can get your hands on..

Those China brands i would steer clear... Not very reliable and they are not properly certified by Apple / Google so very hit and miss.. They tend to run an android OS and they shoe horn the apps on top so they run like dog shit and you get no support.. If we install one we don't make any guarantees it's going to work...

The name brand units are good value save yourself the headache and get one of those.
                        Automotive Superstore

Comment

Originally posted by kabab View Post
                          Sony / Kenwood / Alpine / Pioneer / JVC are all good and they have decent range of product from entry level to full blown so you can get something that got the features / price point your after... Stock is just thin on the ground with all these brands so i'd just get what you can get your hands on..

Those China brands i would steer clear... Not very reliable and they are not properly certified by Apple / Google so very hit and miss.. They tend to run an android OS and they shoe horn the apps on top so they run like dog shit and you get no support.. If we install one we don't make any guarantees it's going to work...

The name brand units are good value save yourself the headache and get one of those.
                          True , in the past Pioneer , JVC ,Alpine and Sony . Now, since JVC was bought by Kenwood , Kenwood is good too . I have 2 of Kenwood Toyota 200 mm wide units are they are great. Once you have Carplay/Android , car is pretty much up to date with navigation and music . Camera(s) are no issue , plenty of options there .
                          Last edited by Sumodog; 02-06-21, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumodog View Post

True , in the past Pioneer , JVC ,Alpine and Sony . Now, since JVC was bought by Kenwood , Kenwood is good too . I have 2 of Kenwood Toyota 200 mm wide units are they are great. Once you have Carplay/Android , car is pretty much up to date with navigation and music . Camera(s) are no issue , plenty of options there .
                            I thought the Kenwood/JVC merge happened about 10 years ago.

Back to the thread though.

Any of the mainstream double din able to play youtube vids/ do faceballs etc etc ?

I have a china unit (Seicane) and it is a bit buggy at time, would like to upgrade it.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Nope - you'll find they all lock them out for legality unless you run a hacked version of Android Auto that does straight mirroring.

Yumcha Head Unit PTY LTD it is.
                              Originally posted by brasher
                              TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

My Kenwood DMX8020S has MirrorLink so you install an app on your phone which mirrors the screen to the HU. Not quite the same as a Carplay/Android Auto app......but as good as you'll get.

Why the fuck would you want to look at FB on your car stereo though??

Comment

Working...
                                X