Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathfinder ST vs MUX LS-T 7 seater

Hey Guys,

We are in need of 3rd row capacity, currently driving around in a KIA Cerato and while it's been ok, the kids are getting bigger so we want to go to a bigger car as number 4 is on the way in June.

We have considered -

Pajero Sport ( kid anchor points interfere with 3rd row usage) so it's out.
    Fortuner - can't see one so assume no stock.
    Pajero - (has a bench seat rear so no boot)
    Prado - not really sure what happened here as it's a massive car but has boot space smaller than a challenger with the third row up.
    LC200 - love it but out of our budget - by a long way.

Nopics is keen on both the M-UX and Pathfinder and these both seem ok - we have checked both out and for space, the pathfinder is pretty roomy and well thought out but not sure if the gearbox is still problematic?
    MUX has the advantage of leather, roof-mounted screen for long trips, and proper 4WD and ground clearance.

As we have a bit of home reno ongoing, something that can tow a decent trailer would be handy, and living in QLD we wouldn't mind doing some 4wd work (just beach stuff) but this can wait.

Is there anything in particular wrong with any of these cars?

We are looking new but also happy to buy something a couple of years old.

Carnival is obviously a choice for 4 kids, but it's become pretty expensive with huge depreciation like most KIAs and we want something with better ground clearance.

Are those elastic-band gearboxes actually potentially-unreliable in something that’s not 10 years or 200k kms old, or is it just that people think a slushbox should feel slushy in one way & don’t like it when it’s slushy in a different way?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

What's wrong with the new Sorento?

Uncle just got rid of his Nissan Xtrail went through 2 x CVT boxes under warranty so would worry about the pathfinder as well. He swapped it for a Pajero Sport and is loving it.

What kind of budget do you have. Volvo XC90 may be another option. When we bought out XC60 they had great deals if you are working in certain industries. Could get like $24k off the list price of a new T8r Xc60. We ended up with a d5r and about $12k off list price.
      Last edited by Rona; 19-02-21, 05:37 PM.
      If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
        What's wrong with the new Sorento?

Uncle just got rid of his Nissan Xtrail went through 2 x CVT boxes under warranty so would worry about the pathfinder as well. He swapped it for a Pajero Sport and is loving it.
        apart from an extra $15-20k k it's just a bit of an awkward space inside - we will have a capsule, harness booster and booster..only 1 kid is old enough to be seatbelt only.( I should have said that)

Comment

Carnival has the most room and really thought out boot space too (the new ones). Pathfinder I have found has the best 3rd row seating out of all the 7 seat wagons I have used. LC200, Prado, Pajero, Xtrail 7 seat etc all seem to be an afterthought for the 3rd row, and anyone under 10 would find it hard to fit in the back of those.

I wouldnt class the 4wd Pathfinder as a proper off roader though. My brother has one and had issues with the CVT early on which was fixed under warranty. Doesnt seem to have any issues now, however his one hasnt got many kms on it

Comment

We've had an l-st mux for a couple of years now, good solid car that the missus mainly drives. Tows big heavy loads with ease. If you like gizmos and gadgets give it a miss. If you want a simplified, dependable 4wd, this is your car. The steering is a bit heavy in tight parking situations and the wheel doesn't have any reach adjustment but apart from that it's spot on.
            Evo VIII MR

Comment

My sister also had a similar dilemma recently, needing 7 seats and 3T towing and narrowed the key options to Pajero Sport and MU-X and went with the MU-X. Pretty happy but as noted above, not the fanciest inside but good enough for family duties and tows well.

Comment

Why have you excluded Kluger?

Although quite a bit of them annoys me, overall you can't really go wrong.

Driver's seat bolsters collapse, sun glare off the bonnet, radio controls too far away, no digital speedo, no low down torque are my biggest gripes btw
                Last edited by Sturmovik; 19-02-21, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Pajero Sport smash a MUX to drive and NVH, but understand the safety belt harness thing if its an issue. I’ve no experience with recent Pathfinders, but if I could find a previous gen 550 with good service and klm I’d bang hard.

Good mate bought new MUX maybe 2 years ago. Has had a gutful of Dpf issues and it going into limp so will move it on soon.

Comment

xc90 will do the 3rd row, bu not the towing iirc.

we tow a 5-600kg trailer occasionally on a 200k old one and the g/b is just starting to show it's age.

3-8k job apparently.
                    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

R52 or R51 pathfinder? if R52 do not buy, run away.

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                        xc90 will do the 3rd row, bu not the towing iirc.

we tow a 5-600kg trailer occasionally on a 200k old one and the g/b is just starting to show it's age.

3-8k job apparently.
                        XC60 & X90 are rated to tow 2.4 tonne. Only one that tows a little less is the hybrid which is still around 2.1 tonnes. Can be optioned with air suspension that would suit towing as well.
                        If in doubt power out

Comment

Pajero Sport are highly underrated imho and definately worth a good look/drive.
                          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Something else to think about, The Pajero will have the 10 year warranty and 10 year capped price servicing.
                            "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

I've just paid a deposit for an LS-t (take delivery late March). Had narrowed it down to either the mux or the Pajero Sport - liked both & the Pajero had more features but the mux felt roomier.

They put out about the same power but I figured the 3l in the mux will do it easy while the 2.4 Pajero would be working harder to do the same.

There seems to be heaps more bolt on aftermarket bits for the mux too
                              don't ask to ride my bike and i won't ask if i can shag your missus

Comment

Working...
                              X