No announcement yet.

Pathfinder ST vs MUX LS-T 7 seater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst not on the list and a little late to the party, I'd recommend checking out a Ford Everest (if not already considered). Almost all of them have 7 seats, anchor points available in both middle and back rows for kid seats as well (not a straps everywhere scenario). Boot does get smaller with the third row up, but still should be able to stow a folded pram. nopics and I are stoked with it, super easy to live with everyday and it can do offroad well, plus no probs with a trailer.

No CVT gearbox either..
    Last edited by Modified; 01-03-21, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Toyota Granvia with 4wd conversion.

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.ne...9/131923/1.jpg

Comment

What about some of those oddball Toyota and Nissan people movers? The ones that replaced the Tarago etc. Alphard, Vellfire etc? Elgrand etc too.

Comment

We had a Delica D5 for about 8 years, until it got flattened by a tree last year. The diesels are meant to be good, but the CVTs in the petrol versions let go at about 200,000km. Mine was on it's way out, so the tree did me a favor.
          No rear airbags, but the rear seats were fine for adults (flat floor). Outlander-based AWD, so it did pretty well off road (for something without low range or diff locks).

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/mit...ica/d-5-badge/

Not many of them around now and I think the new import laws mean there won't be many more, but other than the CVTs not much goes wrong with them, and all the consumables are easy to get.

Comment

Originally posted by dillyboy View Post

How big are your kids? I'm 185cm and 90kgs and fit fine in the third row of an mux....
            I's not so much whether people will fit it's access and luggage space not actual space in the seat.
            Last edited by jgryder; 01-03-21, 11:40 AM.

Comment

All the Vans are fine, but overkill - we will "just" have 4 kids so need something slightly bigger than a SUV but not a mega 8-10 seater vehicle like the granvia, imax, elgrand.

No need for old bangers as well, won't have anything older than 2018 as most of those cars are just not as safe. nopics is a paeds nurse so this is a non negotiabe thing with her and I just don't see how it can be worth the risk anyway.

Carnival is it and we'll get something later for 4WD, rougher stuff that isn't in use 300-400ks a week carting kids from place to place.

Comment

Originally posted by Modified View Post
                Whilst not on the list and a little late to the party, I'd recommend checking out a Ford Everest (if not already considered). Almost all of them have 7 seats, anchor points available in both middle and back rows for kid seats as well (not a straps everywhere scenario). Boot does get smaller with the third row up, but still should be able to stow a folded pram. nopics and I are stoked with it, super easy to live with everyday and it can do offroad well, plus no probs with a trailer.

No CVT gearbox either..

We did think about this but Ford seems to have a pretty bad history of after sales support and are those models as well put together as the falcon/territoy were? Car might be great but we normally buy for long term ownership so not sure if the everest fits that.

Comment

Originally posted by jgryder View Post
                  All the Vans are fine, but overkill - we will "just" have 4 kids so need something slightly bigger than a SUV but not a mega 8-10 seater vehicle like the granvia, imax, elgrand.

No need for old bangers as well, won't have anything older than 2018 as most of those cars are just not as safe. nopics is a paeds nurse so this is a non negotiabe thing with her and I just don't see how it can be worth the risk anyway.

Carnival is it and we'll get something later for 4WD, rougher stuff that isn't in use 300-400ks a week carting kids from place to place.
                  I think you’re overstating how much safer something from 2018 is compared to something from 2015 (ie. reckon Car B from 2015 will be safer than Car A from 2018, depending on what A & B are - for example the 2nd gen Legacy wasn’t as crash-safe as the first) ... however, I’m also guessing the nopix would probably nix the suggestion of an AU on gas with a trailer that has 2 rows of seating installed?

All that aside, I reckon a Carnival is going to at least be a comfy place to be. And Kiayundai seem to be able to understand that you can’t fit a Fiat 500 aircon-system to a van & expect it to work in summer in Straya ... Toyota, I’m looking at you ...
                  Last edited by Captiva Fan; 01-03-21, 12:01 PM.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                    Hyundai Palisade.
                    Fairly sure these are the same platform as the Carnival. Like the Sorento and Santa Fe are the same platform although the latest Sorento is a slightly newer version of the platform. Tucson and Sportage again same platform, new Tucson just came out and new Sportage is due out later this year.

We've just been going through a similar decision. Only 2 kids so initially were just considering a 5 seat SUV but with a decent enough boot to fit a large German Shepherd. Nopics currently has a '17 Audi A4 and I've got my S60 so dog doesn't really fit with the kids if we wanted to take him somewhere with us. So initial options were new Sportage (later in year), Tiguan, CX-5, Tucson, Forester, Q3, etc.. Went and checked out some cars and discovered half the 5 seaters have boot spaces that aren't particularly practical for fitting a dog in. CX-5 was worst of the lot I reckon very little horizontal space between top of the seat back and boot lid, infact the Mazda was very much a case of a car where the interior felt very defined by the exterior styling choice.

​​​​​​So we ended up looking at the expandable to 7 seaters as opposed to full size 7-8 seaters.

Having gone around and looked at a few options it is very clear the Japanese manufacturers have a lot of ground to make up on the technology front compared to the Korean and Euro options, their (Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda less so) interiors feel dated, with decade old styling. Nopics had driven the Outlander, Tucson, and Forester as rentals over the last few months with work and although pov packs they gave her a sense of how they drove and worked and she wasn't a fan. In our budget max $70k we ended up narrowing it down to Sorento or Santa Fe which are cousins and apart from styling are fairly similar in how they drive and the interfaces. Other contenders were Tiguan Allspace nice but definitely a case of the additional 2 seats are emergency only use compared to the Sorento and Santa Fe. Also Mazda CX-8, seats were nice, but noisy and interior tech felt a bit outdated (screen resolution was worse than in my 8yr old Volvo) and like the CX-5 interior felt a bit defined by exterior styling choice.

In the end we went with the Kia Sorento GT-line diesel. Despite identical drivetrains Kia have done a better job tuning the engine/gearbox behaviour (journos who've driven both have said the same) and we both preferred certain aspects of the interior and exterior styling. Plus 7 year warranty on Kia but only 5 on Hyundai though I think Hyundai extends the warranty if you continue to service with them. Only downside for the Kia is that the mid row seats that are set up for one touch rear access are on the right side of the vehicle instead of on the left curb side for use in Australia, this is something Hyundai changed in the Santa Fe but Kia didn't for the Sorento. In our case we wouldn't use the rear row very often so not a deal breaker but if you used the rear row regularly it might annoy you.

Any way deposit paid and expected to arrive in June.
                    ​​​​​

​​​

Comment

Palisade is an SUV, not a minivan like the Carnival.

The Kia Telluride is the Palisade twin.

Comment

I’m pretty sure Palisade is a van (possibly AWD) with a gerlytruk body, innit?
                        Same way a Kludger is an AWD wagon but styled in the onion-belt fashion.
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Quick search says its a stretched SanteFe platform

Comment

I thought a Kluger was just a Camry on stilts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
                              I thought a Kluger was just a Camry on stilts?
                              Yep, it effectively replaced the Camry wagon ‘cos they found they could build it for the same cost but sell it for $15k more, raised up to ensure increased fuel-consumption & reduced braking/handling ability.

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                              Quick search says its a stretched SanteFe platform
                              Cool, so basically a proper car wobbling around on stilts.
                              Last edited by Captiva Fan; 01-03-21, 01:07 PM.

Comment

can confirm palisade is just a normal car. its also 92k for the top of the range....

arcadia?
                                I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                                WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                                robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Working...
                                X