Buyers guide - modern Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buyers guide - modern Mini

How shitful are the modern Minis? Will a $8-10k second hand be a blessing or a curse?

What in particular goes wrong with them?
    Last edited by Spammy; 27-02-21, 08:57 PM.

hahaha
    every thing.

friend had the vanity mirror break on hers, the sun visor one.
    replacement part cost was >$400.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

I would steer clear of them. Like a lot of eurotrash they don't seem to age well in Australia.

Comment

I watched a video where the mechanic said a BMW made cheaply by BMW as it’s not a real BMW but with even more maintenance dramas once they get over a certain age/klms. Shitty plastics that break in the sun and are expensive to replace. I had a 2011 clubman JCW with 130000ks. Never again.

Comment

we had one 12 years ago and it was shit then, never again
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

So reading between the lines, I should definitely buy one. Especially a high mileage car with no service history.

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
              So reading between the lines, I should definitely buy one. Especially a high mileage car with no service history.
              ehsacly.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                This. Calling Jack Nicholson !

None of the problems seem like show stoppers, except clutches, oil leaks, cooling systems, headliners/interior trim, suspension, super chargers, or turbos if the newer peugeot engineer ones... Also vanos on the "bmw" engine supercharged ones...

​​​​​oh, also electrical. Cam (Jack N) can definitely fit you out with a modern entertainment system... But the rest of the electics? Ecu, coil packs, security, etc, etc...

In reality, if you enjoy being a part time mechanic, old bmw era cars (turning my glare to my own range rover) are good things when they are working well... Less good when they aren't, but everything is DIY'able if you have the time and inclination. That starts to run out when you have to pay workshops to fix it for you.

[Edit - I might add, don't buy one during this mad covid craze. They are way over priced right now compared to a year ago. (I almost bought one...)]
                Originally posted by piss98
                fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Was about to say...if I were buying an overpriced car right now, would not be a mini
                  RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Type 'pistonheads mini buyers guide' into google and they've done a few different versions

Comment

How many of the BMW era original old minis do you see on the road?
                      None. There’s a reason for that.
                      Originally posted by jmac
                      ... he may have seen one of the signs of the apocalypse - 4 horsemen, fwd transmission, pestilence etc??

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
                        How many of the BMW era original old minis do you see on the road?
                        None. There’s a reason for that.
                        Must be a Sydney thing then, we see heaps of them
                        Originally posted by piss98
                        fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Well....

Pre-covid, $8-10k would have got you a good R53 Cooper S supercharged, or an average R56 Cooper S turbo.

You don't want a non-S, unless you like driving very slowly. What did surprise me was the manual diesels, actually move along quite well, but you probably don't want one of those either.

I bought my 2008 Cooper S pre-covid for $7500, patchy service history, average condition, 140k on the clock, check engine light on (broken wire in the engine harness).
                          But I bought because of the spec (full leather, wood trim & navigation), because fixing broken shit is what I do.

Apparently these are $14k cars now. Which is retarded. $8-10k today will probably buy you a piece of shit that was $4-5k pre-covid. And you don't want one of those.

Mine has 160k on it now, goes pretty good after we put a timing chain kit in it, new VVT sprocket, cleaned the intake valves & a few other things.
                          The check engine light is currently on because of the downstream O2 sensor heater, which is normal.

The cars are built as cheap as possible, build quality vs a regular BMW? well it's like a 1-series that was built on Friday afternoon before a long weekend, designed by guys who rage quit but had to finish the project during the notice period before they left.

Somehow this 1.6L engine uses 11L/100km around town, and might as well be a two-stroke for how much oil it burns through, I think it's about 1.5L/1000km.

They are fun little shitboxes though. I (mostly) enjoy driving mine but that's because it's got leather & wood & gadgets & shit, a povo pack would be less interesting to me.

But i would still rather have a MINI than a dull boring appliance, if you want something fun & interesting and don't mind the strings attached... then yeah okay, MINI.

If you want hassle-free small-car motoring get a Mazda 2 or 3 or a Corolla or Yaris or some shit.
                          Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                          Originally posted by nutttr
                          People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Have you driven one Spammy? I had a rental in NZ, thought it was really awesome & comfy & had none of the expected turbo-triple thrum, then when we stopped somewhere I realised it was a Cooper & it wasn't quite as enchanting once I found that out.
                            Or does that even matter - is it intended to be something not-so-dull but also reliable for (one of) the kids to use?
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

It's for my daughter, she doesn't want a yaris like her brother has or the hand me down swift we were planning to give her.

Comment

Working...
                              X