No announcement yet.

Buyers guide - modern Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the current market, yeah that'd be about right.

Most of those things have a quarter million kms on them, or have been fucked with in bad taste. It sounds like a good one to "invest" in...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 29-08-21, 05:40 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
      So, update on mine (as per post #19).

Whatever was causing oil consumption decided to step up & swing, it started pumping an impressive volume of blowby out the cracks & fittings of the valve cover, to the point where the cabin was smoked out when stopped at a traffic light.

Cue a $2200 wrecker motor from a crashed 2010 Peugeot 308 with guaranteed only 83k on it, and my mate Dave to do the hard yakka.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_127884.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	7287729

Now, after swapping in a 2nd hand motor of unknown quality, the most logical thing to do is to turn it up to 11 & drive it like a cunt, so I got a tune from the Russians & flashed it in.

This thing is fucking hilarious now.

Epic torque steer when it comes on boost, like it'll literally yank the wheel out of your hands.

It struggles for traction in 1st, 2nd and a bit of 3rd a times.

Gives you a big shove into the seat, makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

It's downright dangerous in the wet.

I love this little shitbox. A+ would bang again.

I've even been contemplating dropping $2k on a Drexler LSD for it.

Happy to admit I have gone full retard & no fucks given for sensible choices in motor vehicles.

jesus dude
      Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
      my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
        So, kind of relevant to my interests.

Grey MY2004 Cooper S with dealer installed JCW kit. 6 speed, has had new headlining and reservoir done (common prob apparently ?), 124k kms.

Has all receipts, log book history etc. Very very clean, only fault i could pick would be a/c needs regas.

Belongs to rather Milfy chick i used to work with in her 40's so has been looked after and not thrashed. Car i mean, i'd say she has been because i would...

Is it worth 12k ?
        "Worth"... Depends... But it's the going price and maybe a bit cheap in the current market if it's the facelift one (3 spike steering wheel and fog light in the middle rear of bumper).

I reckon they'll (the super charged ones) will start going up in value in a few years... They are approaching 20 years old though... And they do need dismantling for a lot of the major work... But it's something you can get done very quickly once you've done it a few times.
        Originally posted by piss98
        fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
          In the current market, yeah that'd be about right.
          Most of those things have a quarter million kms on them, or have been fucked with in bad taste. It sounds like a good one to "invest" in...
          Thanks mate - it's super tidy. Has the fog light in centre of rear bar but the steering wheel doesn't seem to be 3 spoke as per nutttr's (thanks for the reply nutttr ! ) post ?

She bought it off some sword swallower who babied it and had it serviced / washed / detailed with sickening accuracy. He got upset when she gave it a little stick when test driving it.

Only considering it because she's on her own with two kids and a mortgage (plus a near new X5, first world problems) and said she can't be arsed having two x rego and insurance. I could probably haggle a bit more but she's a mate so don't want to be a cunt. Thinking i'll offload my daily (Territory) and APRA racecar and just daily this until i work out what i "really" want. Haven't ever had a hot hatch type car so this might actually be a fun daily ?
          Last edited by Fatboy; 29-08-21, 09:19 PM.
          The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Yeah there are some with a mishmash of parts... Steering wheel being 2 spoke is odd and I've seen more than 1 example of that, nfi why but there you go! JCW kit would mean it's pretty quick... But nothing you can't achieve with mods.

That said, Jack is exactly right that good condition and well looked after is worth a lot more... If it has been cared for it should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
              Yeah there are some with a mishmash of parts... Steering wheel being 2 spoke is odd and I've seen more than 1 example of that, nfi why but there you go! JCW kit would mean it's pretty quick... But nothing you can't achieve with mods.
              That said, Jack is exactly right that good condition and well looked after is worth a lot more... If it has been cared for it should be ok.
              Thanks mate. Apart from the a/c issue (surely that can't be "that" much of a headache to sort ?) and slight gutter rash from female reverse parking it's tidy as.

BTW - Did you mean it's pretty quick or isn't with the JCW kit ?

She offered me a drive when we caught up for lunch just before lockdown but didn't bother as wasn't overly keen at the time. Rethinking it now it might be a good thing ? Daily it for a bit until i work out what i "really" want, which could take awhile...

Comment

Thanks mate. Apart from the a/c issue (surely that can't be "that" much of a headache to sort ?) and slight gutter rash from female reverse parking it's tidy as.

BTW - Did you mean it's pretty quick or isn't with the JCW kit ?

She offered me a drive when we caught up for lunch just before lockdown but didn't bother as wasn't overly keen at the time. Rethinking it now it might be a good thing ? Daily it for a bit until i work out what i "really" want, which could take awhile...
                Should be pretty quick! I've only driven an NA one and that was forever ago but have longed for the SC for a long time. There's a lot of easy mods to get the stock ones up in power, change the SC pulley, colder plugs and away you go. I would assume the proper jcw one has a mild tune tok which would help.

The facelift ones also have Teflon coating on the supercharger too, nfi if that actually helps or not, but hey.

A few things it'll probably need, being the coolant reservoir and a supercharger oil change. Otherwise just join the R53 Owners Club Facebook group and you've got everything you need.

The AC issue all depends on where it's leaking. Hopefully somewhere accessible....

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

Two spoke wheel would be pre-FL wouldn’t it? I don’t remember when specifically the changeover was, but mine was a 2004 and had the two spoke wheel.

Mate just picked up a JCW GP3, haven’t had a chance to drive it yet (lockdown reasons), but it has the same 225kw engine as my car (F40 M135i), and is a few hundred kilos lighter. I suspect in a straight drag the 135 would win for traction reasons, but the GP3 would be an absolute monster to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Two spoke wheel would be pre-FL wouldn’t it? I don’t remember when specifically the changeover was, but mine was a 2004 and had the two spoke wheel.

Mate just picked up a JCW GP3, haven’t had a chance to drive it yet (lockdown reasons), but it has the same 225kw engine as my car (F40 M135i), and is a few hundred kilos lighter. I suspect in a straight drag the 135 would win for traction reasons, but the GP3 would be an absolute monster to drive.
                    Funny enough, 2 spoke SHOULD be pre FL... But there's my05's out there with 2 spoke... No idea how, but change over was ~june 2004 build date from what I've seen. In the UK it seems like the opposite, i.e. some pre FL with 3 spoke wheels... Changes to rear fog light is my guide... But nfi which is a more reliable tell?

Comment

Facelift also have different
                      headlights,
                      roof lining,
                      no clock on roof lining,
                      side sun visor for driver
                      front grab handles,
                      different passenger airbag,
                      door cards are different so you can actually rest your arms on them
                      Closer gearbox ratios and LSD on 05 onwards chilli packs.

That's just off the top of my head, would be heaps more subtle differences.

Comment

Different dash too apparently "5 piece dash" or something?

Headlights being HID I believe for the FL.

​slightly more power too...

Comment

Pre facelift is 5 piece dash fascia, post is 3.
                          Grill surround is smooth (not grooved)
                          There are HID headlights available pre-FL (mine had them), but they’re not projectors. Post facelift HID’s were projector, standard halogen headlights were still available.
                          Tail lights are slightly different.
                          Even Pre-FL there are some variations, the very early ones had a honeycomb vent with foam in it at the bottom of the windscreen, but the foam used to disintegrate very quickly. The very early Cooper S’s also had LUDICROUSLY stiff suspension, as opposed to just stiff. There’s also some slight differences with really small things like the seat adjustment levers, seatbelt attachment points, engine mounts, power steering pump fans etc.
                          Random bit of trivia, the clocks in the roof lining were programmed incorrectly and at midnight went 23:59, 24:00, 00:01, which isn’t valid (there’s no such time as 24:00. They should have got 23:59, 00:00, 00:01

amazing how much useless MINI trivia is still stuck in my brain 13 years after having one.

After mine was written off, someone bought it and repaired it and then crashed it again. It went up for sale at the auctions with mismatched headlights, the wrong front bumper, half a wrong front grill. Was fucked. Scary thing is I can still quote the VIN off the top of my head (WMWRE32020TC86097). Mind you, I can also quote the VIN of the 120d I had after it (WBAUD92070PT39303)
                          Last edited by MickyD; 31-08-21, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Fatboy you have two options; pics of the milf, or pics of the MINI in your driveway.

I'll give you a week to organise one or the other, or both for maximum points.
                            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

To be fair i only just saw this post...

Comment

To be fair i only just saw this post...
                                Man you're slow...
                                Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 17-10-21, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X