Mid 2000 towing van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid 2000 towing van

Looking at changing out my tow car (which I love) for a van (which will be more suitable). Needs to be able to tow 1700kg and be reliable. Reading a ton of adverts and so many (of all brands) have “just had a new low mile motor” or are cheap cause they don’t run lol. Other thing is “this one has had the xxxxx changed as they all die” or “this is petrol so doesn’t have the common xxxx problem”. Fuck, are they all unreliable shitboxes

Iload
    transit
    vito
    ??????

Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns?
    I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Isn't the issue that they have all done half a million kms being flogged as courier vans - hence the amount of work someone has to do to keep them alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
      Isn't the issue that they have all done half a million kms being flogged as courier vans - hence the amount of work someone has to do to keep them alive.
      No, some (most?) are just shit.

Comment

Seems to be a lot in the 2xx,xxx range that are fucked or have new motors. Also, having $9,000 in receipts for the last 12 months isn’t the selling point some people think it is...

Comment

Why not a diesel Prado / Landcruiser/Pajero? Or do you want a van so you can sleep in it at the track?

Comment

Yeah, probably should have mentioned that. Yep, want to set it up to sleep at the track (or even rest at the track lol)

Comment

What about the VW vans, a mate has a diesel one with a tune and he tows a lot with it. They are also a lot nicer inside than the other vans.

Comment

We have had good results from hi ace and merc. But to be honest we are getting rid of them about the km you are looking at.

most of the maxi taxi I see getting around are diesel hiace

Comment

Hiace is only 1400kg tow capacity, apparently.
                  Looks like you need Sprinter or Transporter (probably including Caravelle - and I guess the weird-beard French & Italian ones are similar?) to do 2000kg in a van ... looked around a few Japanese grey-imports (as I thought they'd be nicer to sleep in ) and they're all really low.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I’ve known a few people who loved their import Delica’s for exactly the purpose you're describing

Comment

Hiace brakes are barely adequate for them empty, letlone towing.
                      New shape one is a different matter though.

Last edited by Sturmovik; 10-03-21, 10:47 AM.

Comment

It's a bit eearlier than mid 2000's
                        "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick"

Comment

My Dad uses a diesel auto iMax (the passenger version). Picked it up at the ex-gov auctions.

Tows a double axle car trailer pretty well. Obviously no speed records up hill!
                          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                            My Dad uses a diesel auto iMax (the passenger version). Picked it up at the ex-gov auctions.

Tows a double axle car trailer pretty well. Obviously no speed records up hill!
                            My recommendation with these things is new injector washers every 40 000km to prevent the combustion leakage - carbon oil pickup blockage - turbo death issues they have.

Comment

Sprinter is ~3mt load area IIRC. Seem to see a lot of them around here.
                              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Working...
                              X