No announcement yet.

Mid 2000 towing van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey mate, I was in a similar situation to you. I was looking at vans to tow the race car and sleep in, however was alarmed at the amount of ones with motors just replaced and/or asking drug money. I didn't want a diesel as 95% of my driving is very short trips so longevity was/is a concern with modern common rail diesels.

I had more of a think about it and realised my existing 07 Hilux Workmate petrol was my perfect compromise, tough as nails, only 150k on the clock, been in the family since new and serviced every 5,000. I just needed a canopy so every thing is covered up at the track and I can sleep in it. I recently decided on fitting a Pro Fit canvas canopy. I optioned it with a roll up flyscreen window either side and a 2.5 metre deep canvas awning that is the length of the tray. I recently took it on a father/son camping trip and I'm over the moon. Carries all our gear and then some, wop the awning on and a dual swag mattress down and you have a comfortable swag on wheels. Plenty of airflow through the flyscreen roll up windows too which you would not get with a van.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ute canopy.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	7234539
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

^This makes a lot of sense for occasional use.

Comment

https://www.caravancampingsales.com....SSE-AD-6607250

Comment

Sensational.^

Comment

if only it was on gas, it would be the ultimate PF vehicle
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

Could go the Prado etc like said before and fold down the backseat and install air mattress

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17392288...MaAhyxEALw_wcB

CISCOKIDS
              The Gentlemen's Club
              Midnight Rocker

Comment

My step dad used to do engine conversions on Transit vans, mainly ecomang V6's and Windsor V8's.

I did a lot of towing with his personal one which was a 351 windsor on LPG. Wasn't a rocket ship but it didn't slow down on hills towing 3 tonne and did epic burnouts.
                Was a really useful thing, pretty sure he converted 50 or so when he was doing them.

Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

Originally posted by lysdexia View Post

if only it was on gas, it would be the ultimate PF vehicle
                  The lack of gas is the only thing stopping me from buying it

Comment

Originally posted by R31t View Post
                    Sensational.^
                    It's the Rolls Royce of AU III Wagons.
                    Last edited by Spammy; 10-03-21, 03:59 PM.

Comment

totally never been a hearse before

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                        totally never been a hearse before
                        Are you dead certain about that?

Comment

If you could find an old RWD ambulance it would make an ideal tow / camp vehicle. Even the last F100 Fords must be 30 years old at least, what about the Chev pick ups they used after that?

Comment

If you already love what you have for dailying and towing, spend some money on a decent tent/swag.

By the time you fill the van with shit to go racing there wont be much room for sleeping anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

My recommendation with these things is new injector washers every 40 000km to prevent the combustion leakage - carbon oil pickup blockage - turbo death issues they have.
                              Thanks!
                              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

It’s not just sleeping, it’s somewhere to chill out between passes. I’m thinking something like this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byro...van/1269928535

apparently they only have problems with gearboxes and motors....

a local guy had a 2005ish transit with a moo conversion, might see if he still has it. Something iload size is preferred (only the diesel with manual can tow)
                                I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Working...
                                X