Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid 2000 towing van

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

    My recommendation with these things is new injector washers every 40 000km to prevent the combustion leakage - carbon oil pickup blockage - turbo death issues they have.
    Got one of these in the shop for this very reason. Full set of seals, washers and bolts is just under $100 from Hyundai. All dai, everydai.

    If it's shat a turbo ($1500-ish), replace the oil feed ($30) and the pick-up screen on the oil pump ($55) as well.

    Piece of piss to work on. I'd run one if it weren't for the badge.


    ​​​​​​
    Originally posted by brewdles
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
      It’s not just sleeping, it’s somewhere to chill out between passes. I’m thinking something like this

      https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byro...van/1269928535

      apparently they only have problems with gearboxes and motors....

      a local guy had a 2005ish transit with a moo conversion, might see if he still has it. Something iload size is preferred (only the diesel with manual can tow)
      Motor is ok when it works. When it doesn't, that's when your wallet cries.

      Gearbox is an Aisin turd. It'll either constantly fuck out, or live forever without so much as an oil change.
      Originally posted by brewdles
      In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post
        If you already love what you have for dailying and towing, spend some money on a decent tent/swag.

        By the time you fill the van with shit to go racing there wont be much room for sleeping anyway.
        Sedans don't fit swags/tents + gear to go racing. Vans are all fucked. Lucky there's a good compromise.
        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

        My Italian 510

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
          It’s not just sleeping, it’s somewhere to chill out between passes. I’m thinking something like this

          https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byro...van/1269928535

          apparently they only have problems with gearboxes and motors....

          a local guy had a 2005ish transit with a moo conversion, might see if he still has it. Something iload size is preferred (only the diesel with manual can tow)
          Those VWs are pretty nice inside. I can see the attraction of being able to sit in there peacefully and have a coffee & homemade salad roll out of a 12v fridge rather than eating a greasy burger and hot chips while sitting on a milk crate next to your racecar.
          Last edited by Spammy; 10-03-21, 09:45 PM.
          .

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Spammy View Post

            Those VWs are pretty nice inside. I can see the attraction of being able to sit in there peacefully and have a coffee & homemade salad roll out of a 12v fridge rather than eating a greasy burger and hot chips while sitting on a milk crate next to your racecar.
            not only are they nicer then most of the competition inside they also drive well. I have no experience with them towing but have done some kms around town in one.
            RB26......................Again

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Spammy View Post

              Those VWs are pretty nice inside. I can see the attraction of being able to sit in there peacefully and have a coffee & homemade salad roll out of a 12v fridge rather than eating a greasy burger and hot chips while sitting on a milk crate next to your racecar.
              Exactly. Probably do the back seats as a bed with tool/parts storage under it, accessible from tailgate
              I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

              Comment


                #37
                They are great to drive and to tow with. My parents had a Transporter. But the golden rule is the tow car must be more reliable than the race car.
                Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

                My Italian 510

                Comment


                  #38
                  The old 2.7 hilux struggles a bit in the hills and bench seat/ suspension frequency wears you out before you arrive on longer tows I find. Nearly everybody towing in their 4wd will blow past you, but they are reliable if not overheated in typical zero maintenance tradie use.

                  Load distribution particularly, and rock hard tyres and open diff can be a bit of an issue too.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    I don't see why you'd pay Euro tax for a VW van over an IMax.
                    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

                    "In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                    (TM - AVENGE)

                    "You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Found just the thing
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1994-renault-espace-f1-4.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	7234885

                      Comment


                        #41
                        https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails...9#lg=1&slide=7
                        .

                        Comment


                          #42
                          https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails.../5503/id/22709
                          .

                          Comment


                            #43
                            thats pretty cool, but the way he has the car strapped aint.
                            .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

                            Dr Hoon
                            .

                            DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Guido View Post

                              Sedans don't fit swags/tents + gear to go racing. Vans are all fucked. Lucky there's a good compromise.
                              For some reason I though Chuck towed with a wagon but your point is made.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                                I don't see why you'd pay Euro tax for a VW van over an IMax.
                                Needing to tow 1700kg & iMax does only 1400kg?
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X