Mid 2000 towing van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
    At one point they were infamous for engine problems, not sure what vintage that was but I read something like 30% of them had new motors fitted under warranty.
    The 2.7L V6 was a disaster, so you don't want a Carnival before 2014 (which was in effect a Grand Carnival but for the new model in 2014 they went back to just Carnival for some reason).
    The petrol Grand Carnival was fine.
    I did hear murmurings about one of the earlier diesels in the Grand Carnival also not being so reliable, this was from friends that owned them, and that there was a newer diesel which was more sturdy ... might give a starting-point for lookin' it up, I know no more about it.
    A Carnival may still be a bit exxy on the used market, given the desirement was stated as a mid-noughties car (and assuming you don't buy any before 2014 because those are truly shit); Grand Carnival has the same 2000kg braked towing capacity though (may even be the same floorpan/platform as the 2014+ Carnival).

They're FWD unlike the Hyundai iMax, I presume for towing FWD is only really a problem for boats & wet boat-ramps etc?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 14-03-21, 10:16 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
      It’s not just sleeping, it’s somewhere to chill out between passes. I’m thinking something like this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byro...van/1269928535

apparently they only have problems with gearboxes and motors....

a local guy had a 2005ish transit with a moo conversion, might see if he still has it. Something iload size is preferred (only the diesel with manual can tow)
      FWD though?
      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

FWD though?
        Vw or transit?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tplace_general
        Last edited by ALLMTR; 14-03-21, 02:38 PM.
        I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Hook a loaded car trailer to this and I assume you quickly head towards maximum combined weight limit.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
            VW sorry

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Left field, light truck or small bus like a Mazda Parkway,Toyota Coaster etc. I know alot of them have been converted for exactly this purpose, and most only need a car license.

Comment

I’ve been driving a Transporter diesel DSG for work every day for 2 years, it was brand new when I got into it. It’s a really nice thing to drive for a van, almost car like inside. Nice leather steering wheel, great stereo, lots of midrange grunt, amazing. And it’s only a povo pack tradie special.

65K on it now, no reliability issues so far which has really suprised me because the dealer I worked at years ago also had a VW franchise and there were heaps of them lying about the place awaiting a new engine/DSG.

My job before this we all had Iload diesels. Nasty things to be in compared to the VW.
                Originally posted by Rdyno
                It's fucking storytime with Rdyno cunt shut the fuck up and fuck off.

Comment

I have a VH Transit with a v6 commodore conversion. It looks like it was running at one stage but the wiring needs some sorting out. Going fairly cheap if you are keen
                  www.towie.com
                  www.castlehillexhaust.com.au www.sewbiz.com.au

Comment

Sorry, missed this, Not real keen on a project, thanks. Think I’m going to go with a 2010-2013 manual Vito or Transporter. At lest with a manual, if it dies it sort of gives you some notice (synchros/noise) as opposed to an auto that has more chance of just leaving me stranded
                    I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Smart plan. Are the Vito's RWD? I guess most of them are Front wheel drive now. Not sure if that makes it any better or worse.
                      My 2c for what its worth, we had a Short wheelbase, low roof VH transit van with the 2.3 petrol engine. It was no powerhouse but it towed nicely and was stable.
                      www.towie.com
                      www.castlehillexhaust.com.au www.sewbiz.com.au

Comment

Working...
                      X