Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX22NV
    replied
    Smart plan. Are the Vito's RWD? I guess most of them are Front wheel drive now. Not sure if that makes it any better or worse.
    My 2c for what its worth, we had a Short wheelbase, low roof VH transit van with the 2.3 petrol engine. It was no powerhouse but it towed nicely and was stable.

Leave a comment:

• ALLMTR
    replied
    Sorry, missed this, Not real keen on a project, thanks. Think I’m going to go with a 2010-2013 manual Vito or Transporter. At lest with a manual, if it dies it sort of gives you some notice (synchros/noise) as opposed to an auto that has more chance of just leaving me stranded

Leave a comment:

• RX22NV
    replied
    I have a VH Transit with a v6 commodore conversion. It looks like it was running at one stage but the wiring needs some sorting out. Going fairly cheap if you are keen

Leave a comment:

• StupidFlanders
    replied
    I’ve been driving a Transporter diesel DSG for work every day for 2 years, it was brand new when I got into it. It’s a really nice thing to drive for a van, almost car like inside. Nice leather steering wheel, great stereo, lots of midrange grunt, amazing. And it’s only a povo pack tradie special.

65K on it now, no reliability issues so far which has really suprised me because the dealer I worked at years ago also had a VW franchise and there were heaps of them lying about the place awaiting a new engine/DSG.

My job before this we all had Iload diesels. Nasty things to be in compared to the VW.

Leave a comment:

• irsa76
    replied
    Left field, light truck or small bus like a Mazda Parkway,Toyota Coaster etc. I know alot of them have been converted for exactly this purpose, and most only need a car license.

Leave a comment:

• bigshipengine.jpg
    replied
    Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
    VW sorry

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Spammy
    replied
    Hook a loaded car trailer to this and I assume you quickly head towards maximum combined weight limit.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share

Leave a comment:

• ALLMTR
    replied
    Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

FWD though?
    Vw or transit?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tplace_general
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 14-03-21, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigshipengine.jpg
    replied
    It’s not just sleeping, it’s somewhere to chill out between passes. I’m thinking something like this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byro...van/1269928535

apparently they only have problems with gearboxes and motors....

a local guy had a 2005ish transit with a moo conversion, might see if he still has it. Something iload size is preferred (only the diesel with manual can tow)
    FWD though?

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spammy View Post
    At one point they were infamous for engine problems, not sure what vintage that was but I read something like 30% of them had new motors fitted under warranty.
    The 2.7L V6 was a disaster, so you don't want a Carnival before 2014 (which was in effect a Grand Carnival but for the new model in 2014 they went back to just Carnival for some reason).
    The petrol Grand Carnival was fine.
    I did hear murmurings about one of the earlier diesels in the Grand Carnival also not being so reliable, this was from friends that owned them, and that there was a newer diesel which was more sturdy ... might give a starting-point for lookin' it up, I know no more about it.
    A Carnival may still be a bit exxy on the used market, given the desirement was stated as a mid-noughties car (and assuming you don't buy any before 2014 because those are truly shit); Grand Carnival has the same 2000kg braked towing capacity though (may even be the same floorpan/platform as the 2014+ Carnival).

They're FWD unlike the Hyundai iMax, I presume for towing FWD is only really a problem for boats & wet boat-ramps etc?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 14-03-21, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chartreusehj
    replied
    Anyone had any experience with a Kia Carnival, seems they can tow 2000kg
    I didnt want to mention it because I havent towed with it but it will certainly fit the bill for chillin' and as a drive in movie car, its alright and it will smoke some fools off the light.

Leave a comment:

• Spammy
    replied
    At one point they were infamous for engine problems, not sure what vintage that was but I read something like 30% of them had new motors fitted under warranty.

Leave a comment:

• ALLMTR
    replied
    Anyone had any experience with a Kia Carnival, seems they can tow 2000kg

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post

Imax auto with brakes its 2000kg.

Dad's one is probably 7-8 years old now, so maybe earlier models had a different capacity.
    I know what I did wrong ... I looked at the iLoad.
    I'm super surprised they're different, I thought they were the same vehicle except with our without seats & noise-deadening.
    Just randomly looking at ratings, 2011 model iLoad is 1500kg, 2011 model iMax is 2300.
    Workmate had an iMax for ... would've been about 7 years, which was totally trouble-free.

Leave a comment:

• tim510
    replied
    We used to have a Renault Traffic van. 2.0L Turbo diesel. The semi-automatic transmission was a little quirky but it was comfortable and drove really nice. They are FWD but I did a bunch of towing with no real concerns.

Might be worth a look.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X