Helmets for track days and other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmets for track days and other stuff

I’m going to be doing khanacross, track days and hillclimbs in the future and need a suitable helmet. Been ages since I had one and want to get something that’s kind of future proof. Don’t need HANS now but might be good to go for if I get more serious or drive/hire proper track cars.

Budget up to max of $500. What should I get? Is this reasonable or should I budget more?
    Thanks PF!
    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

You don't need Hans now but make sure you get a helmet with the screw holes for the posts. One thing I learnt after I bought my helmet was the lip around the chin was catching a lot of air (open car), so much so it would push my head up and back. Something else to consider it you're in an open car.

Comment

Good point, I meant HANS compatible so needs holes or posts, don’t need it now as the car doesn’t have a harness.

Comment

You could start here, pick the class of racing you want to do (or might realistically do in the future) and make sure what you get meets the required standard.

https://motorsport.org.au/docs/defau...sn=e7aad4d8_16

I upgraded from a bike helmet to a basic Bell motorsport helmet a few years back for around $500-odd from memory. Definitely make sure HANS compatible, I can see mandatory HANS usage filtering into more and more categories over the next few years.
        Last edited by dave1600; 17-03-21, 10:26 PM.

Comment

If this is for the yarris, open face for sure. And gloves.
          .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Try to find a shop with as many different brands as possible and try them all on. I found some brands fitted my oversize head way better than others.
            Last edited by Spammy; 18-03-21, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Something simple will suffice. With Aus approval as that still seems to be a thing with some organisers.

Buy a real helmet when the time comes. It will be the smallest expense of your step up to a form of racing that requires HANS.

Comment

I'd rather buy something decent once rather than something cheap then upgrade. I'm also keen to get back into some hire karts and because I value my health, I'll be using my own, so closed face it is.

Any shops in Brisbane where I can go and try a few on?

Comment

On the topic, anyone have any experience with the harness free HANS systems? - https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com....2/Default.aspx

this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
                    I'd rather buy something decent once rather than something cheap then upgrade. I'm also keen to get back into some hire karts and because I value my health, I'll be using my own, so closed face it is.

Check the regs re snell ratings. IIRC thats the important bit.

I went into VPW and bought what they recommended based on my needs.
                    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post

Only places I know of is revolution racegear down at Woodridge or racer industries at Norwell.

As I have bell helmets for motor racing I know what model and size, so it's been a while since I have had to do the try them all on routine.

Comment

bell GP3 is good, it's more than your budget but tbh i'v tried on a stack of helmets lately (about to upgrade) and the GP3 was the cheapest one that was comfortable. any of the racelid etc stuff is garbage

get one with hans posts. anything state level or above these days needs hans unless the car is street registered
                        1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Definitely go try on as many as possible. Then start putting the ones you like aside and try on again. Till you get down to two options. Then choose.
                          2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                          2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                          I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I think HANS is now needed for track sprints (?)

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev
                              that’s kind of future proof
                              A Snell 2020 will get you to 2030 minimum - and more than likely beyond, depending on what you end up doing. One supplier had good deals on recent 2015 standard helmets in an offer recently, I'd look there for savings. The driver here prefers 2010 due to eye port size, which is not like looking out of a postbox slot in the later standards. No doubt, he'll keep going with it till the 2023 deadline for speed events.

Comment

Working...
                              X