Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helmets for track days and other stuff

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Ned Loh View Post
    I think HANS is now needed for track sprints (?)
    only if state cship or higher and the car isnt registered
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

    Comment


      #17
      Go see Dean Crosswell at Racer Industries and tell him I sent you.
      Nathan

      Speed Shots Photography
      Official Photographer 2021 | Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships | Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Challenge Bathurst | MRF Tyres Australian Production Car Series

      Comment


        #18
        The Hans harness is something I see a lot with instructors and other serious guys hopping into cars without proper harnesses.

        Makes sense, your neck gets fucked up by whiplash with just a 3 point belt (or even a harness without Hans) in a stack.

        ​​​​​​
        Last edited by burn is weird; 19-03-21, 04:52 PM.

        Oo___oO

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
          The Hans harness is something I see a lot with instructors and other serious guys hopping into cars without proper harnesses.

          Makes sense, your neck gets fucked up by whiplash with just a 3 point belt (or even a harness without Hans) in a stack.

          ​​​​​​
          Do you mean the Simpson harness posted by Cuss Cuss? I note Giz wears one, they seem a lot less common than a HANS though, but I'd be interested to know if better or the same because they do seem easier to use.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Ned Loh View Post
            I think HANS is now needed for track sprints (?)
            Only if the car is logbooked, page 3 of the MSA rules posted on pg1 of the thread.

            I have seen scrutineers kind of interpret that as any car with a cage, race seat, harness etc that looks like a racecar even if not logbooked.

            So not for a stock road car GR Yaris etc.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by 12arx3 View Post

              Do you mean the Simpson harness posted by Cuss Cuss? I note Giz wears one, they seem a lot less common than a HANS though, but I'd be interested to know if better or the same because they do seem easier to use.
              They allow more freedom to look around etc, and also provides head restraint in offset and side impacts which the Hans does not.
              /csh Racing

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                On the topic, anyone have any experience with the harness free HANS systems? - https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com....2/Default.aspx
                Having spoken to Boz at trackschool who wears one I'd go for that over a HANS..

                1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Thanks everyone, now just need Velo to bring out their SA2020 spec helmets to try on.
                  this signature intentionally left blank

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Yep, got a velo from a few years back. Open face, FHR posts. Was $300. Is good.

                    Simpson hybrid sport is excellent. Had one about 7 years now. Don't even know it's on. Works with any seat style I've tried. You still need to use it with a race harness though, and get one with 2in shoulder straps. Not so good with 3 in straps. Normal HANS devices are not nice things to wear in comparison. But you must try before you buy, In your seat in your car to be sure.

                    There is a different Simpson FHR that provides some protection (not as good) with an normal 3 point road seatbelt. More expensive though, but if you're a driving instructor you would have one!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                      Thanks everyone, now just need Velo to bring out their SA2020 spec helmets to try on.
                      You could be waiting a while, I was in at Autosport recently and they had no idea when they would be arriving, as such I'm reluctantly purchasing a Bell for much more than my head is worth.
                      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by 200MPH View Post
                        Yep, got a velo from a few years back. Open face, FHR posts. Was $300. Is good.

                        Simpson hybrid sport is excellent. Had one about 7 years now. Don't even know it's on. Works with any seat style I've tried. You still need to use it with a race harness though, and get one with 2in shoulder straps. Not so good with 3 in straps. Normal HANS devices are not nice things to wear in comparison. But you must try before you buy, In your seat in your car to be sure.

                        There is a different Simpson FHR that provides some protection (not as good) with an normal 3 point road seatbelt. More expensive though, but if you're a driving instructor you would have one!
                        Thanks, looks like these are cheapest way to get it with a 3 point https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com....5/Default.aspx

                        There is info about the testing here - https://youtu.be/30mjEbQ7RbY?t=1271 50% reduction is pretty good.
                        and a comparison test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmZOjKe8WfQ / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDnD6TdWzy4


                        this signature intentionally left blank

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Just picked up my Bell, made in Bahrain ? Given their human rights record, probably by some poor cunt from the subcontinent being paid a fish head and a bowl of rice a day. Peak capitalism, it's a cunt of a thing.
                          " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Make sure you try on exactly what you buy. Bell for instance use a different mould for the R1 vs the RS7 Pro. I wear the latter but the former in the same size is uncomfortable.

                            Fit is super important. A good fitting cheaper helmet is better than a fancy one that doesn't.

                            The lighter the helmet the better it is for you in terms of momentum.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Picked up a Bell R1 today. Tried a few different Bells on, the more expensive ones feel amazing but didn't want to spend that much. It's probably excessive for what I actually need but I've always wanted this style of helmet ever since I raced karts back in the day.
                              I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Good choice. Being a Bell you know it's going to be a quality item.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X