Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

selling someone else's car

hey all,
    i am looking to buy a cheap second hand car in qld and the seller of the car is not the owner. the car seems OK but the owner is a foreign student who has gone home due to COVID, the seller is his old landlord/guest house guy. is this dodgy? the student has already filled out the rego transfer paperwork and a blank receipt. i have done a PPSR search and it came back clean, and there isn't much rego left so it's not so much about the value of the rego, i just don't want to deal with the fk around of someone trying to take back the car.
    keen to hear what the PF brains trust thinks..
    cheers,
    dan

if the search came up clean and the paperwork is ready to go theres not much more you can do i guess.

Comment

that one more receipt and rego transfer form than what i'm usually left with...

it'll be fine.

Comment

Bought and sold cars this way. Always works well. go for it.

Comment

I've helped with buying and selling cars for back packers that come through my work so I know situations like this happen fairly often.

Comment

Try to either speak with or email the owner to verify. If I was a landlord owed rent, I would be tempted to sell an ex tenants car using the rego slip etc I received in the mail.

Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
              Try to either speak with or email the owner to verify. If I was a landlord owed rent, I would be tempted to sell an ex tenants car using the rego slip etc I received in the mail.

Just sayin'
              Qld you don't need a rego slip to transfer but you do need the owner's customer ID aka licence number and a few other details. If he's pre-filled the transfer forms then that's all that's needed.

Comment

I had to sell my BILs car for him after he moved overseas (now stuck in Sri Lanka due to COVID, surfing everyday, smoking weed and smashing backpackers - tough life). He had left me the rego papers but were unsigned.

I ended up sending the rego papers to him for him to sign to and send back to me so I could transfer the car into my name to make for an easier sale. As long as the PPSR checks are coming back clear I can’t see it being a huge issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post
                  I had to sell my BILs car for him after he moved overseas (now stuck in Sri Lanka due to COVID, surfing everyday, smoking weed and smashing backpackers - tough life). He had left me the rego papers but were unsigned.

I ended up sending the rego papers to him for him to sign to and send back to me so I could transfer the car into my name to make for an easier sale. As long as the PPSR checks are coming back clear I can’t see it being a huge issue.
                  Agreed and also solid username/10

Comment

thanks all for the advice and reassurance

spammy agree with you but he couldnt get a hold of the bloke. ended up getting the guy i dealt with to write me out his own receipt for the cash, and took a photo of his drivers license.

it doesnt sound like old mate is coming home from the subcontinent so i think i'll be OK.

Comment

for what it's worth rego transferred fine at the transport department and i haven't had any uber drivers turn up on my doorstep asking for their car back yet....

Comment

Working...
                      X