MotorTrend on demand closing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MotorTrend on demand closing.

Just received an email from MotorTrend saying the stand alone MTOD will close for Australian subscribers in August. I'm assuming this is as a result of the Australan online media rules. Email below:

IMPORTANT ACCOUNT INFORMATION
    Hey MotorFriend,

Thank you for your support of MotorTrend! We hope you have enjoyed the ride!

We will continue to look for opportunities to bring your favourite motoring shows to your territory but for now the MotorTrend standalone service will be closing its doors in your territory as of 18 August 2021.

You will continue to have access to the content until the service closes or until your subscription expires, whichever comes first.

The last monthly auto renewal will occur on or before 07 July 2021 based on your regular bill cycle and you will not be billed after that date.

If you have an annual subscription that extends beyond 18 August 2021 you will be refunded the remaining balance within 30 days of closure.

If you need more information, visit the help centre at help.motortrendondemand.com.

It’s been an incredible ride, thanks to all of you!

Thank you again for your support.

Team MotorTrend

INT-SNST-ROW
    Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Help
    MOTOR TREND GROUP, LLC | 831 South Douglas Street | El Segundo, CA 90245

© 2020 MOTOR TREND. All Rights Reserved.

Found this statement on MTOD:
    MotorTrend end of service outside of US and Canada

Effective August 18, 2021, PST MotorTrend streaming service will no longer operate our direct streaming service outside of the US and Canada, and the content will no longer be available. Customer accounts identified as originating from outside of the US and Canada should have been notified. Annual subscriptions should see the remaining balance refunded within 30 days of the closure.

When did MotorTrend close outside of the US and Canada?

MotorTrend stopped accepting new subscriptions outside of the US and Canada on April 14th. Our service will stop operating outside of the US and Canada by the end of August 18, 2021 (PT).

Can I download the MotorTrend App from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store?

MotorTrend is no longer available for download from Apple App Store, Google Play Store, and any other app stores.

Can I still use the app I already have installed?

Yes, you can continue to use the apps and streaming service through our website with an active subscription. As of the end of August 18, 2021 (PT), MotorTrend is now closed to all countries outside of the US and Canada and the content is no longer available.

Can I sign up for a free trial or purchase a paid subscription?

Free trials and paid subscriptions are no longer available to countries outside of the US and Canada.

I had a recurring monthly paid subscription to MotorTrend. What happens now?

All monthly subscriptions will stop renewing on or before July 7, 2021. After that date, monthly subscribers outside of the US and Canada will no longer be charged a recurring payment for MotorTrend.

I had an annual paid subscription to MotorTrend. What happens now?

If your annual paid subscription extends beyond August 18, 2021, then you will be refunded the remaining balance of your subscription within 30 days of closure.

I am located in the US and received the closure message, will my subscription be canceled? What should I do?

We have tried to make sure that we only included customers in the affected regions. We are not able to migrate your subscription or change your location, and a new subscription will need to be created. If you are on a monthly subscription or annual subscription that ends before August 18th, you can cancel, and then after your existing subscription expires, then you can resubscribe on our site or through your favorite supported app store. If you are on an annual subscription that ends after August 18th, then after that subscription expires you can resubscribe on our site or through your favorite supported app store.

I have more questions. Who can help me?

Our Customer Care Team would be happy to help. Please submit a request here or contact us at help@motortrend.com.
    If you have feedback on this article, please submit it here.
    Have more questions? Submit a requestRelated articles

Comment

Never saw that coming......

Comment

Sent an email asking what alternatives will be available, the reply I got said they are looking into alternatives but are unsure when they will be inplace. Turns out it's due to a company restructure in the US, which doesn't surprise me since they stopped printing nearly all their magazine titles over the last couple of years.

Comment

I haven't received this email.

Just paid renewal as of Monday. Got a yearly discount from USD$55 to USD$28 as "You've been a loyal subscriber with Motor Trend, Hot Rod and Car Craft since 16 years old."

Starting to wonder how they will try to block it. I'm sure the internet was designed to survive a war and keep working so it will be very interesting. Otherwise I think everyone will go to uncle torrence and they'll shoot themselves in the foot, sorry head.
          "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

I haven’t had the email and use Getflix to bypass region blocking (but pay annually via the AU Apple AppStore) so it’s going to be interesting how that pans out. I’ve been contemplating a fully US “homed/VPN’d” TV box for some time and this may tip that balance a little further.

Id say their biggest issue was maintaining the seperate content bundles for each country, some shows being shared distributions, others Foxtel (for example) only, and all the past/future season rubbish that goes along with that. At $50/year they’d need a heck of a lot of subscribers in AU to make it worth the effort and also to stand up to Foxtel doing a “all these shows and no online competition”
            ---
            Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

That's disappointing. I haven't had the email either but agree, it's likely due to them having other more lucrative distribution channels to foreign audiences - hopefully that continues to include Australia.

They'll likely block accounts using an international billing address. There's already geolocation blocking around some of the shows in the App so I'd be looking at ways around both if you want to keep it going.

Edit: looks like the desktop site is already geoblocked 😔

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by [CatchMe]; 15-04-21, 08:34 AM.
              230SL 'Pagoda' | 911 SC Targa | FC RX-7 Infini

Comment

Bummer, pretty sure I signed up using VPN and pretending to be in the US and I've not received any email yet.
                Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Damn, I got onto that covid $10/yr deal too lol

Comment

I'm not surprised. I unsubscribed six months ago due to geoblocking and the gradual decline of Roadkill.

Funny how most of the other motoring Youtube channels seem to survive quite nicely on advertiser revenue, yet Motortrend had a completely different business model. Protip - it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                      I'm not surprised. I unsubscribed six months ago due to geoblocking and the gradual decline of Roadkill.

Funny how most of the other motoring Youtube channels seem to survive quite nicely on advertiser revenue, yet Motortrend had a completely different business model. Protip - it doesn't work.
                      Finnegan, Frieburger, Lucky and now Tony all have their own YouTube channels.

Just saying
                      "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post

We cant say that. I am sure as a machine it brings in way more revenue than your average youtuber. And even then most youtubers need patreon, merch, other revenue streams to work. They were a US based magazine originally and was one of the first who saw which way the wind was blowing and jumped on board. I am sure they are quite profitable in the states. They offer F1, Indy, formula D and many other live racing in the states. Over there they are a bit of a 1 stop car enthusiasts network. Imagine how many guys on this forum alone that would ditch foxtel and get MOTD if they offered F1 (maybe not as its not sky coverage, but still).

We also don't know the deals networks are offering them. It may be far more lucrative to sell off individual shows to networks globally.

It would also be hard for them to to advertise to each separate country with different restrictions and apply those restrictions. I also imagine they would have a bunch of disgruntled customers who bought thinking they would get X because it was available in the states only to click on and see its restricted in their area. And it is annoying seeing it in the app.

Maybe they will come out with MOTD lite which is just original content and a full version or something and apply globally. It would be better than the current us vs the world set up they have. Or maybe they will sell their shows to networks as there may be more cash in that.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Babalouie
                        Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Yep cunts should have built up their YT presence. The content was top notch the channel would have been massive by now. Compare MCM from the time MT went paywall and subscriber increases they've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post
                            Yep cunts should have built up their YT presence. The content was top notch the channel would have been massive by now. Compare MCM from the time MT went paywall and subscriber increases they've seen.
                            Leaving YT had nothing to do with the shows, rather the parent company decided to leverage the support RK and DeD had into their own pay platform. Which is understandable given youtube's tricky relationship with some content creators, especially commercial ones. I suspect the shit show that is Discovery has put pressure on MT to axe the international service.

Comment

Saw a few Canadian people asking freeburgers why their subscriptions are being cancelled etc and he said it was the first he heard about it (seems MT never tell him anything) hope they can build up their channels a bit, I still think a channel with Lucky winding up Tony and Tony breaking shit would be good, better than their channels are individually anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X