Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought exercise: which ICE car to buy and hang on to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought exercise: which ICE car to buy and hang on to?

Let's say it's ten years from now and the internal combustion engine is pretty much gone. Your daily is electric and it's good.

Which internal combustion engine car have you put away in the garage for weekends and fun times?

I'll leave considerations about budget and whatever up to you.

I'm thinking it would have to be something that an electric car isn't better at. Which I think leaves us with (a) sounds good or (b) is lightweight. Maybe also having a manual transmission is relevant. There doesn't seem to be much point putting away a car whose party trick is straight line speed because EVs have that part nailed.

A few ideas come to mind for me:
    1. A manual 911 or Cayman. That seems like the sort of driving experience no electric car could replicate. But - that could be a lot of money on something that won't come out much, especially if you want a more recent one. On the other hand, maybe you'd never lose money on something like a manual 991 Carrera S?
    2. Similarly, a more affordable "last of the line" ICE sports car, like the upcoming Nissan Z, or maybe a Supra (especially if they do a manual), Alfa 4C, Alpine A110, Lotus.
    3. Something that just plain sounds good. V8, V10, V12, that sort of thing.
    4. A nicely specced MX-5 because it's hard to see the lightweight affordable sports car continuing into the EV era unless they manage to make batteries a lot lighter and cheaper.

What do you guys think? (And do us all a favour and let's not turn this into a debate about whether electric cars are good or bad, they're coming, deal with it. And if anyone says Golf GTI or some shit I call for an instaban).

I spend too much time thinking about this

At the moment it is C8 and/or 400z
    This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

Comment

What’s fuel going to be worth then..?

Comment

Gallardo

Comment

My charger for old school coolness from the 70's and a 400z for carving up twisties.....

Comment

3. Something that just plain sounds good. V8, V10, V12, that sort of thing.

At least it will be worthwhile starting it up even if you can't drive it too far/fast.
            Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
            www.vsport.com.au

Comment

AMG GTS coupe, Twin Turbo V8 have depreciated quite a bit and IMO a fairly timeless design that may become a future classic.
              If in doubt power out

Comment

Give me old school 70's muscle. An XB coupe with a supercharged V8
                AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

N.A. C63

Lotus Elise
                  " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

F40

that was an easy question 😁
                    Originally posted by THE CHIEF;n7125803
                    Fucken slanty eyed bat eating monkey brained fuckers stiched everyone nicely.

Comment

Lamborghini for sure, the crazier the better

Aventador SVJ

Zero point getting something that is just "fast" without being a real driving experience (eg Nissan GTR), because thats what EVs will do better
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                        Zero point getting something that is just "fast" without being a real driving experience (eg Nissan GTR), because thats what EVs will do better
                        For that reason I reckon something manual, because EV's do the automatic-car thing.
                        It assists with limiting the choices too, nothing costing more than about $18.50 new that's not a Porsche comes in manual any more.
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

F40

otherwise im pretty happy with my garage as it is right now. AW11 for crazy group B turbo feels, MA61 for 80s nostalgia and 1JZ gate noises. Elise for super lightweight, angry n/a screaming fun

I would like something with a V12 at some point tho
                          Last edited by trdee; 16-04-21, 11:32 AM.
                          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

This far in, no AU wagon on gas??For shame PF....

Comment

Exige v6. That's my plan anyway.
                              POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Comment

Working...
                              X