Toyota Corolla GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Corolla GR-4 AWD Turbo

All signs point to the GR Corolla featuring the same 1.6-litre turbocharged three-cylinder engine as the GR Yaris.

However, whereas the Yaris develops 200kW and 370Nm – already making it the most powerful three-cylinder engine in production – Japanese publication Car Sensor reports the hot Corolla will turn the wick up to 221kW.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lrhb7ra3qb4e2x9mar1p.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7249591

https://www.caradvice.com.au/947476/...#disqus_thread

Straight up the only question - 'Nihow much $$$?'

Nice, will be following along for a price and actual pics but I don’t mind the Corollas looks at all so I reckon it will be decent and with some decent power etc it should be good fun!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

that's great and all but how about a RWD Hilux with a 2.67 Litre turbo I5 with 369 kw?

Comment

The new gen Corolla is the best looking daily driver in YEARS, so a GR version will be a winner on all fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
          Nice, will be following along for a price and actual pics but I don’t mind the Corollas looks at all so I reckon it will be decent and with some decent power etc it should be good fun!
          Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
          The new gen Corolla is the best looking daily driver in YEARS, so a GR version will be a winner on all fronts.
          I couldn't agree more! Every time I used to see one I couldn't help thinking that Toyota were doing themselves a mischief by not doing a hot hatch version. GR version makes me excited in the pants, but with Yaris being ~$50k the Corolla will no doubt be some around $60k I reckon.

Comment

They need to bring the wagon to Aus.
            If in doubt power out

Comment

Being more expensive makes sense sort of as it's the next step up in the range, a basic Corolla is worth more than a basic Yaris (I assume, I've not looked) so you'd expect the same difference - BUT - the Yaris GR has fancy materials and lightweight panels where the 'Rolla will be built using the base car and adding faster bits so it might be pretty close in price?

I too really like the new 'Rolla when I see one on the road and checked one out closely when they were launched (I was at some horse racing thing and they had one to crawl in and out). After driving my son's little turbo Astra around a bit (and having a ball) the small hatch bug is niggling at me again so a well priced, fast, good looking turbo 'Rolla could push me over the line.
              Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

will it be AWD?
                .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Yep, Yarii running gear.
                  Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Given how the Yaris was received, they'd have been mad not to do this. I like that it's a proper manual too.

Comment

So what I’m hearing is 221kw is easy for the Yaris
                      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                      Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                        Being more expensive makes sense sort of as it's the next step up in the range, a basic Corolla is worth more than a basic Yaris (I assume, I've not looked) so you'd expect the same difference - BUT - the Yaris GR has fancy materials and lightweight panels where the 'Rolla will be built using the base car and adding faster bits so it might be pretty close in price?
                        I read somewhere recently that they thought the Corolla would be cheaper than the Yaris - just because the Yaris is basically a unique bodyshell and frankensteined floorpan, and the Corolla would just be a regular Corolla with GR bits.

Comment

when you put a GR yaris next to a rolla, they are about the same size, so you may be right.
                          .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Nice concept, but it'll be 60K plus.
                            2018 Golf R Wolfsburg Edition Wagon
                            2016 Golf GTi Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

I read somewhere recently that they thought the Corolla would be cheaper than the Yaris - just because the Yaris is basically a unique bodyshell and frankensteined floorpan, and the Corolla would just be a regular Corolla with GR bits.
                              Yep pretty much this, the question on price will be whether they feel the need to position it higher than the GR Yaris because it's bigger and "one step up" in the overall range when talking base models. I personally think they'd be mad to go too high as the GR Yaris was always pitched as being it's own unique thing with much less in common with it's namesake than the Corolla will be. Here's hoping they do intro pricing like the Yaris too as I reckon they will move bloody fast but my gut says they won't. Similar to the previous statement, the GR Yaris was always pitched as being a new big deal "rare" sort of thing that they wanted to get off the ground fast and engage enthusiasts. They already sell plenty of Corolla's so there is probably less push to create hype on a faster version and it's a slightly different market perhaps?
                              Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X