Toyota Corolla GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
    Being more expensive makes sense sort of as it's the next step up in the range, a basic Corolla is worth more than a basic Yaris (I assume, I've not looked) so you'd expect the same difference - BUT - the Yaris GR has fancy materials and lightweight panels where the 'Rolla will be built using the base car and adding faster bits so it might be pretty close in price?

I too really like the new 'Rolla when I see one on the road and checked one out closely when they were launched (I was at some horse racing thing and they had one to crawl in and out). After driving my son's little turbo Astra around a bit (and having a ball) the small hatch bug is niggling at me again so a well priced, fast, good looking turbo 'Rolla could push me over the line.
    Oh yeah, absolutely! Assuming like for like they should be more than the Yaris, 60k+ is a lot to spend on a Corolla is all. I hadn't thought of the other points about material, bespoke body etc though, so that could definitely contribute to lower price!

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if they'd do the first 1,000 at $45,990 D/A, then bump the price up to ~$55k + ORC. That would get a fair few sales hey.

Keen to see some reviews!
      Kebabhunter

Comment

Yeh I always promised I'd never be the guy to cop the depreciation on a new car ever again but if they did the discount first 1000 thing it'd be hard to resist (and cars only go up in value these days don't they? At least that's what all the FB sales pages and CarSales tells me )
        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Or do they not give it all the yaris fruit and make it cheaper?
          .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

They are talking a basic GR spec and a Rallye so it will get all the fruit in terms of driveline etc, just they won't do carbon this and that but rather bolt shit on to what they have. Possibly the price difference in not using the fancy materials will be offset by the fact a Corolla is worth more than a Yaris to start with so best case it MIGHT be priced the same? (I don't really think they will sadly, I reckon at least + $5k if not more)
            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

If it’s sub 50 I’m on.

It’s like a not shit wrx

Comment

Originally posted by brasher View Post
                If it’s sub 50 I’m on.

It’s like a not shit wrx
                This. shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
                Swedish Soot Chucker
                Orange Accident KE10

Comment

Thoughts, every story written is still speculation as there is nothing real coming out and no real spy shots of a real car or similar.
                  I doubt they'll do a discount on the first xxxx, this was done as a marketing exercise/expense for the overall GR brand as a way to launch it in Aus. It cost them $15mil. I highly doubt they would want to spend a similar amount to launch another GR car that is not as special as the Yaris.

Cost wise, agree that due to them likely using the standard Corolla as a base it could end up very close to the GRY pricing. Its interesting that the magazine is talking about increasing the power, assume to make sure the heavier car is still reasonably fast. I'd assume it will need to be 0-100 <6.5 secs to make it faster than a Golf GTI and I30N etc.

Manual only could be a big problem, it has plagued I30N sales for ages with lots of buyers wanting a DSG. Now that have released it (well soon enough) its probably going to be crazy expensive. Although this kind of car suits a manual, I'd guess the majority of sales (if there was a choice) would be DSG in the long term.

I don't think I'd change, I'm happy with the frenetic nature of the Yaris and the unique body/build that it has. The space would be nice, but so far we are happy with the compromise...
                  I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

According to the dealer a Golf R will be $70k+, so if the Corolla is say 60-65k, its a decent $5-10k cheaper and should be attractive.
                    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

How many sportivo corolla's did Toyota sell at $39K ?? I honestly dont think the market would pay more than $45-47K for a corolla GR, it has no motorsport credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevil View Post
                        How many sportivo corolla's did Toyota sell at $39K ?? I honestly dont think the market would pay more than $45-47K for a corolla GR, it has no motorsport credentials.
                        They’re also “small” - while you think 5-door convenience anyone 180cm plus in the front seats pretty much evaporates the rear legroom to Yaris levels.

I think GR Yaris buyers will concede interior space because it’s really a 1/2 seater with child space, but the Corolla has a tight cabin for its class against the competition and that makes the top $$ sell harder. Outright technical merit goes out the window when you start spending $60k unless it’s a toy.
                        ---
                        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

you can fit a 6ft tall person in the back of the yaris.
                          .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Stevil View Post
                            How many GR Yaris' do you think have sold at $40k (I'll tell you cause I kind of know, 1100), $45k (200), Rallye @ $56k (200), Rallye @ $58k (some, unsure exactly). Unsure how many standard ones have sold at the ~$54k price.
                            Admittedly the GR Corolla (if its a real thing) has no motorsport creds, but in all reality neither did the GR Yaris when it was first sold, yes it was built for homologation to WRC but rule changes meant it hasn't raced in WRC (other local rallies notwithstanding).

Gazoo Racing as a team are hugely successful in world motorsport though... https://toyotagazooracing.com/motorsports/

Also, what motorsport creds does a VW Golf have, or Hyundai i30N or any other hot hatch have now?
                            Last edited by 23Kev; 06-05-21, 10:20 AM.
                            I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

again, why not a golf r? better in all respects.
                              I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                              WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                              robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

23Kev on looks alone the Corolla is dogs breakfast, whats chassis upgrades will the GR Corolla have ?

This will be a mass produced 1.6T up against a bunch of 2.0T, not saying it wont sell but lets get real here it will end up on the track against some polished products and a heavier GR Corolla will need to be full of the all the go fast bits to run with the pack

Comment

Working...
                                X