No announcement yet.

Catalytic Converter scrap prices 2021 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to google this shit as I've seen the black market run rampant in the US & Europe. Overwhelmingly majority of the worlds Palladium goes into cats as it uses mitchcraft to convert as much as 90% of carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide etc......
    Global supply from mines is extremely finite to the point a large percentage used in new vehicles is recycled & demand has outweighed supply exponentially for quite some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
      Had to google this shit as I've seen the black market run rampant in the US & Europe. Overwhelmingly majority of the worlds Palladium goes into cats as it uses mitchcraft to convert as much as 90% of carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide etc......
      Global supply from mines is extremely finite to the point a large percentage used in new vehicles is recycled & demand has outweighed supply exponentially for quite some time now.
      Mizone, earlier -Sorry, what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcimg1.ibsrv.net%2Fcimg%2Fwww.hdforums.com%2F800x600_85%2F101%2Fcat-removal-9--135101.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7260066

So there is no alternative to these metals for cats and we are using them up faster than we can dig them up. Sounds like the ICE days are numbered for this reason alone
      "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-10 090357.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7260072

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
          Electric cars will change that at some point in the future

Comment

Until we run out of lithium to mine for batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
              Until we run out of lithium to mine for batteries.
              From Wiki
              Terrestrial
              See also: Lithium minerals
              Although lithium is widely distributed on Earth, it does not naturally occur in elemental form due to its high reactivity.[4]The total lithium content of seawater is very large and is estimated as 230 billion tonnes, where the element exists at a relatively constant concentration of 0.14 to 0.25 parts per million (ppm),[36][37] or 25 micromolar;[38] higher concentrations approaching 7 ppm are found near hydrothermal vents.[37]

Also we'll run out of the other shit required for electric vehicles before we run out of Lithium. It's main use is in ceramics rather than batteries, and we use more glass and ceramics than batteries at this stage

Name:	lth_ch_01.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	7260093
              "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

So mizones prediction is habibi's wont move into the black market lithium market due to overabundance?
                Last edited by 9triton; 10-06-21, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                  So mizones prediction is habibi's wont move into the black market lithium market due to overabundance?
                  Not even I am stupids enough to predict that

At the moment, lots of people crying about rare earth minerals being the biggest hold back. Ideally we'll figure a way to do it with cheaper easily available stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                    Glad i checked back in on this thread mate !

Although based on what you said about it being replaced 5 years ago maybe it's just a rattle rather than the cat itself...

The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post

Glad i checked back in on this thread mate !

Although based on what you said about it being replaced 5 years ago maybe it's just a rattle rather than the cat itself...
                      The original ford cat rattled from day 1, the generic cat was a vast improvement.

Comment

So apparently i'm sitting on $3k of scrap cats? fuck me....

In the meantime I came across this site in the US, which gives some pricing https://rrcats.com/catalytic-converter-scrap-prices/
                        Obviously that's America & we're in Australia, but interesting nevertheless...
                        Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                        Originally posted by nutttr
                        People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Boom! thats what i like to hear since i still have the two cats off my ISF....
                          Its the cats in the headers that are worth good coin
                          Evo VIII MR

Comment

Yep thats the ones i have

Now to find out who i can actually sell them to....
                            Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Ok so how do we find out the end user in Australia for our cats? If we can do this we all win and we put less crackhead cash into the pockets of the gumtree crowd. Obviously we can't send overseas or they'll never make it there

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Mizone, earlier -Sorry, what?

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcimg1.ibsrv.net%2Fcimg%2Fwww.hdforums.com%2F800x600_85%2F101%2Fcat-removal-9--135101.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7260066

So there is no alternative to these metals for cats and we are using them up faster than we can dig them up. Sounds like the ICE days are numbered for this reason alone
                                Do you reckon we have enough resources for everyone to be fanging around in electric cars instead?

Comment

Working...
                                X