Why do you like cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you like cars?

While reading a Performance Driving book (by Ross Bentley) I had a realisation, I enjoy the act of driving a car more than I like cars themselves. Cars to me are an enabler of my favourite activity, driving a car in pretty much any scenario (maybe not peak hour commutes or long boring highway drives). If it’s a fast, good handling car that provides a lot of feedback on a mountain road then generally that’s more fun than a white goods car, but, I still get enjoyment out of pushing something like our old Corolla along an interesting road.

I don’t really like modifying cars anymore and think I would get bored and frustrated if I did a big restoration or engine swap on something.

I’m sure I’m a bit different than the norm around here, but thought it would be interesting what makes cars enjoyable for you?
    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Because walking sucks.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
      Why do you like cars?
      Because unlike women,there is resale value on a car
      "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

I think I used to like cars, or perhaps it was the joy of driving. I like the engineering of some cars. Somewhere along the way I lost the joy of driving, I suspect it was when the performance abilities of my twin turbo 928 so far exceeded the outright speed limit.

I think with the performance of electric vehicles, I've lost a lot of love for the engineering side of things as well. Electronics was the greatest step forward for the internal combustion engine, but as a mechanic it has taken engine technology out of my realm of interest.

In short, I hate most vehicles on the road these days, they are too heavy, too large and are an utter waste of the worlds finite resources.

I love Gordon Murray's T25 more than the T50.
        " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Not long ago my nopics asked me where it all started and why and I am not really sure, its one of those 'in your blood' kind of things as my first memory of anything to do with cars was waking up early to made sure I could watch the tooheys 1000 and sometimes the occasional f1 when they would show some stuff on wide world of sports. No dads/uncles/friends with hotted up cars or anything like that.
          this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

these days I’m not so sure I do like cars
            fuck working on them I don’t have the time
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

I don’t want to let it go, but if I’m honest I’m a little over doing anything to the Volvo.
              As soon as I do anything, it seems to become a bigger job than expected & the car comes off the road.
              Then I dislike starting on fixing it because I start getting anxious about whether or not I’m going to be able to fix it this time or whether it’s going to be another disaster & something else needs to be done.

Dunno if I’m just over it or if it’s the extended concept of having broken cars sitting around.

In principle I’d like something new which can be maintenanced by a mobile mechanic and enjoyed, in practice I can’t really afford anything interesting enough.
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
                While reading a Performance Driving book (by Ross Bentley) I had a realisation, I enjoy the act of driving a car more than I like cars themselves.
                I had the opposite realisation when I was reading Engineer to Win. I really enjoy the act of building, fabricating, and generally engineering cars more than I necessarily like driving them. Sure I really like racing cars, and taking my old mini and 930 out on the ‘Ring were some of the most exhilarating experiences. But generally driving on the roads is often a pain, and I don’t get many opportunities to go to the track anymore (especially with kids). Plus racing these days has mostly become about chequebooks in the categories I was running in.

So it’s probably unsurprising that many of my projects were sold soon after their completion to make way for the next project.

I sometimes think about future projects and basically it’s the ones with the most work that are most attractive. Restore a 911, build a home built Lotus like Ed, or a kit car are the ones that come to mind.
                Chris
                ------
                The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

There is something about cars that unlocks a level of excitement that I don't get with anything else. I can't really quantify what it is...

Definitely enjoy driving, and not working on cars.... it is the whole experience I suppose, the physical and audio sensations.. maybe a bit around the feeling of control.

Terrified about the future with everything going electric. Everything will be fast yes, but for me lacks the same experience of "driving". Should probably buy some cool cars before the final nail comes.
                  Find your Freedom
                  Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                  www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                  www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                  If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Outside of the driving and tinkering, being a designer, I really like them from a aesthetic and design stand point as well, when something is done right or has a certain style a car can have its own personality and that is pretty unique for an object
                    AutoMotif / VC Valiant / TJ Wrangler

Comment

I think I'm the opposite.
                      I like building and tweaking a mechanical thing to make it operate perfectly, then have little interest in actually driving it once I know it's 'right'..

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Because unlike women,there is resale value on a car
                        coin to be made selling them off as parts

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

its in the blood for me, same sort of thing always playing with cars/lego watching nine's wild world of sport on saturdays, the F1, world rally and bathurst etc. (funny enough since i got my licence i havent enjoyed watching because it bores me and i just want to be there doing it myself)

i enjoy driving but not in traffic, and im always wondering when ill be going to the track for a casual track day and hanging out with Dr Ed lapping the nurburgring for 3 days is one of the highlights of my life.

I'm mechanically minded so I also enjoy tinkering and having projects so its the best of both worlds for me.

But also in 2019 i was having some pretty bad anxiety and while working through I realised i had suffered from low level anxiety for most of my life.

When i drilled down into my likes and dislikes, levels of introversion and extroversion etc, it became clear that my choice of hobby really suited the disorder.

feeling anxious and feel like you have lack of control in your life? how about surrounding yourself in a big metal cage to protect yourself from the world where you get to be in control. Just add globs of horsepower at the palms of your hands and you can see how it taming a wild beast could have a real therapeutic, mind clearing effect on all of those bad feelings.

add to that the isolating and calming manner of tinkering alone to help you recharge if you are introverted, or being out there by yourself at a track day or the drags or in the middle of nowhere at night street racing while all of the other "Normos" are out partying so to speak.

Anyway i thought it was profound enough it ended up being the premise of a movie script that i wrote. Realistically it was a great artistic outlet for me to help get through the anxiety issues i was facing at the time, but would be nice to dig up some private equity from somewhere once covid blows over and have a go at filming it.

www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
                            I think I'm the opposite.
                            I like building and tweaking a mechanical thing to make it operate perfectly, then have little interest in actually driving it once I know it's 'right'..
                            I’ve definitely got a few mates like this, they prefer the satisfaction of getting something perfect.
                            for me enjoyment comes from the usage of the car not the tinkering, for example, big road trip or something
                            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Apparently in my blood. Grandfather, great grandfather, mother do "enjoy" scenic style driving and travelling. I went a step more extreme and loved racing.
                              As for cars, driving is about the only thing I don't think about before doing. I just do, its a subconscious activity. Everything else is a can of overthinking potential, rational, logical thought process & approach. Working on cars, engineering aspect of them; yes. But, driving itself, is not for me. And it's one thing that gives me balance. I'm sure I'll discover and find other things as time goes on as well. Everything is temporary.
                              Last edited by gmx; 26-06-21, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X