No announcement yet.

Why do you like cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't really into cars as a kid, was more into lego and electronics. Didn't even bother getting my license until my early 20s. Then bought a Mazda MX6 V6 for my first car. Kept racing a friend's 1JZ soarer in it and losing hilariously and the bug bit hard. Bought the 1JZ Cressida and had many hours of fun modifying that, using my electronics skills to replace ECU caps etc. Ran a 12.3 quarter mile. Was a sad day when I sold it.
    The CLK is nice to drive, RWD, and looks OK, but doesn't have the power that I want, and therefore just gets treated like an appliance until I get something better.
    Farm work has taken all my money and spare time these days, and whatever I get will likely just get serviced by mechanics due to how complex cars are these days, so I'll be going purely for driving enjoyment this time around, as I do 130km a day and enjoy being behind the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
      Okay!

So who else here had no input from their father (or mother for that matter)?

None here, nobody in my family had any interest at all, yet as soon as I could make noise I was making car noises.. and as soon as I could read I was memorising the badges of every car.
      I can distinctly remember being about 8 years old and being able to name every car on the road that we passed.

I can also remember being in about grade 3 or 4 when I found a book in my school library that explained how engines worked. I hid it somewhere in the library so I could return and read it over and over again without fear of it being moved or on loan
      Last edited by uuheels; 28-06-21, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I am definitely in the 'born into it' category. My mum and dad even met through a car club. I grew up around rallying my whole life, I always loved the adventure of it, even when I was young sitting out in the bush somewhere in the freezing cold doing a road closure waiting for the sound of the cars and then the headlights to appear.

I do really like working on cars too (although not that good at it). I like working with my hands and fixing things, I actually find it kind of relaxing (for the most part) and let's me just focus on that. I also like the sense of achievement you get when you complete a task.

I absolutely love driving fast as well. The adrenaline, g-forces, noise, etc. All heaps of fun. In particular gravel rallying is my go to. I love the adventure of it... different conditions, different terrains, day/night, the planning of the event (fuel, tires, etc.), problem solving on the side of the road when something goes wrong, the team work.

I am probably at my absolute happiness sitting in the old Datto at the start line of a night stage watching the clock tick down... 30 secs to go check with nav that everything is good - get the first call again, 10 secs to go flick the driving lights on, 5 secs to go bring the revs up and boom... off into the night!

Comment

Dad was a bit of hoon, but now that I think about it, he enjoyed racing more than working on cars but was to much of a tight ass to pay someone to work on it. (remember him showing me how to do burnouts, Dandy/Frankston road drags)
          Was into BMX as a kid, so tinkering on things started young, trying to make sure my bike had good shit on it etc.

5 years ago if you asked me about car's i would have said i enjoy working on them/driving them etc. but say 3 years ago a friend and I did lots of go-karting, almost weekly and this leads me to believe as a lot of you, I enjoy driving and trying to be better/faster.

so now if you asked me if I like cars I would say they're alright. there on a list, but not high up there.
          do i enjoy working on them? no, even less now I have a daughter.
          do i enjoy problem-solving and designing parts for my car, yes.

do i enjoy having a hobby company dealing with X chassis cars. Not really, i started it to help get extra money but since starting i have tripled my wage and have a daughter so i don't enjoy dealing with the new generation of customers who expect everything to be instant and about them.

its really a sticky point for me, that while i own the cars i have always wanted in life other than a lead sled and a supercar of some sorts i would prob be happy with a simply gokart to fang around at the local track after work.
          CISCOKIDS
          The Gentlemen's Club
          Midnight Rocker

Comment

My earliest car related memory is watching Bathurst at probably 7 or 8 years old and being fascinated by the sound and colours of all these cool looking cars. Apparently i'd been doing that for a few years before i even knew i was - i'd sit there and watch without moving (apart from loo and food breaks) all day.

My parents weren't car people, but my old man was into race / ski boats and had a class winner in the Bridge to Bridge when i was a kid. By the time i was old enough to go in it / enjoy at speed it he'd been cleaned up by a drunk driver and his back was fucked so couldn't ski. He lost interest after that. I still remember the sound of a big block vividly...

By my teens and approaching L and P plate age i was into VK's / VL's then VN's as they were new at the time. "Bluey" VK Group A was my dream car. Bought a house at 21 so cars dreams went on hold (had sold a very nicely modded VN to fund it) and i made do with a clapped out Sigma wagon for a couple of years. Crewed on a few mates drag cars for awhile but never had the urge (or probably moreso budget ?) to build something super quick so didn't bother.

At 30 a mate bought a IPRA RX-7 as a roller. I sat in it and thought "Damn, i want one of these !". Two weeks later i had my first racecar, an IP RX-7. Rebuilt it from bare shell and slowly as budget allowed modded it and myself to eventually become a Top 5 car back when we'd get 35+ car grids for each of the two Improved Production classes. Was fun, but geez i tore up some cash. Have since dabbled with a couple of cheap APRA Pulsar series cars, and have a Top 10 spec N15 currently. Not sure i'd get it into the 10 but the car has the runs on the board and gear required. Hoping to run it at Bathurst and realise the kid dream from way back, see how we go with that.

Still not sure "why" i love cars, i just do. I guess it's the sound that gets me (enjoy the sound of a tough bridgeported 13B almost as much as a good V8), and i love modern clean cars that look the part. Current shed ornament (apart from the Pulsar) is a VF II HSV R8 Clubsport with the LSA engine. I think i like looking at it / listening to it idle away almost as much as i enjoy driving it. Being able to just mash the pedal and it either pastes the street or squats and goes is really enjoyable but almost pointless thesedays when every k over is a killer.

Nothing beats going at 100% on track, i think as i've gotten older i've kind of started to lose that passion though. Years of door to door racing makes track days a little meh, and to be honest i can't justify the cost to build the type of track car that would keep me interested / on my toes. So not sure how much longer the lure of the track will last, predicting it might be time to move on just after Bathurst...
            Last edited by Fatboy; 28-06-21, 03:52 PM.
            The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

If I'm going a to z anywhere I'm relatively happy. Highway, commute, windy road, rental pov spec Corolla or 911, doesn't matter if I'm not time bound. Being on the road, especially if I'm by myself is just a nice experience for me.

These days I appreciate most motorsport as a spectator but only really pay attention to f1. Drag racing is definitely starting to capture my imagination though, especially the likes of drag week or similar. I'm glued to the coverage of those events, same with targa to a lesser extent. I've got fuck all chance of being even remotely competitive in anything more than a club level motorkhana, and I'm probably too old to learn, and I've absolutely made my peace with that, but I absolutely intend to own some cars that are far more capable than I am at some point anyway.

Cars themselves have always been a "I like what I like". I'm not a diehard fan of any brand, shape or style. I do seem to have developed a bias towards anything with chrome bumpers, but at the same time if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one car and only one car to own and drive for the rest of my life it would probably be a 997 turbo s, and I can't quite tell you why.

Dad had old Peugeots in the garage when I was a little kid. Afaik they never worked in my lifetime, I just barely remember going with him to a wrecker to talk about getting rid of the last one. He never had any real desire to get something beyond basic transport after that, and I never quite understood why, but he's right into sailing, which is racing you can do on public waterways with beer in hand so I kinda get it, but definitely not my thing. I used to go to the touring cars and bikes with him for a bit at one point though, and did a reasonable amount of holding the torch while he fixed shit on our various falcodores. He helped me rebuild my Gemini after a cab stacked into me though, and he helped me rebuild the engine on my fiat 124 right after I bought it in broken condition, and he tolerated me hoarding all kinds of parts at his house for years after I moved out/across the world... So I don't really think I got any intense car hobby passion from him, but he's certainly an enabler. I'm pretty hopeful I can keep my kids into it though.
              Originally posted by myshortyboomba
              I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Cars/Bikes - the freedom of driving, enjoying windy roads, the sounds they make, and the appreciation of hearing everything mechanical in them move.

No one else in the fam is into cars and bikes, so just an appreciation I had from childhood I suppose. Soon as I saw the Supra shape for instance as a young kid I knew I wanted that car, that was around 12 years old. Still puts the same smile on my face that it did back then.
                '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

I don’t like to walk
                  Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Originally posted by fatz View Post
                    I don’t like to walk
                    If you did we wouldn't be calling you fatz.......
                    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
                    Official Photographer 2021 | Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships | Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Challenge Bathurst | MRF Tyres Australian Production Car Series

Comment

My Dad has always been a car guy, not sure where it came from. He had a Mini, a few Fiats (lap dashes, motorkahanas, dirt circuit sprints), Alfas (road, IPRA, Group Sc), and then finally a Mk5 Golf GTI which he doesnt drive when it's wet. We used to watch F1 together, touring cars, took me to the Motor Show every year (which I continued until it ended, so I'd been to every one since 1980!). He religiously bought mags like Modern Motor, Motor Manual, Wheels etc which I used to read and re-read for years and years. He worked on the minor stuff on his racecars and road cars a lot - one night we literally spent the entire night fitting an oil cooler and testing and re-testing because the fucking fittings kept leaking - we went to Eastern Creek with no sleep and he went faster than he had ever gone. We didn't try that again though. He still loves his cars and talks about tuning the Golf with an APR ECU tune for a bit more fun, rear swaybar etc. Even into his 70s he still enjoys a good country road thrash up the back roads to Bathurst and back etc. I'm less hands on than him, but I still tinker, but limited space and tools means no big jobs. As I get older, married, kids, buying sensible family cars like maybe an SUV, I'm still clinging to my "hoon" side with my car with Engine and DSG Tune, muffler delete, so I still get a grin on my face when I can. Electric car I'll never buy for me, it'll be nopics suburban car an =d I'll stick to an antiquated ICE powered car. I'd love to rebuild an old Alfetta again (did it from a wreck decades ago), but no time, no money and no space for it means it's a pipedream until I win the Powerball......
                      Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
                      Official Photographer 2021 | Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships | Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Challenge Bathurst | MRF Tyres Australian Production Car Series

Comment

Interesting question.

The "how did it start" part is easy. My father was into cars, I grew up tinkering with them. A car club then means you have a social network revolving around cars as well. Engineering in uni led to a career in the car industry.

I don't really love driving on public roads. Partly because I don't have a fun road car, partly because it's just hard to use something properly without risking one's licence. Modern cars are too fast to really enjoy on public roads - a few seconds acceleration and you are at the speed limit/getting anywhere near the limit of adhesion means seriously fast corner speeds.

I guess I'm into cars because of racing.

Why racing?

It's time consuming, uses up all my spare money, strains relationships and can be incredibly emotionally draining.

But, it also ticks a lot of boxes.

Physically, it's my main motivator to keep in some sort of vague shape and not ingest bulk fast food.
                        Mentally, it's good in a few different ways. It pushes me. Outsmarting a fellow driver on the track is brilliant. Reading rules and finding a loophole is tremendously satisfying. Understanding the physics of whats happening and how to make a car do different things. Designing things, sourcing parts, gaining intel on what competitors are doing.. Even the financial side, where for bigger events I get to play team manager, sponsorship manager, etc etc has some appeal. Doing more for less and prioritising where my limited funds go is not as awful as it sounds, even if I dream of having the funds to make decisions without considering cost. Getting a win or a good result against bigger spending competitors is tremendously satisfying.
                        Ego - it's one of the few things in life that I do that I'm kind of good at. I'm no Ayrton Senna, but I've raced with/compared data with guys who are running in TCR/Super2 and I know where I stand. (Not quite that good!)

But, mostly, that feeling when you're on top of the car - that you've put so much blood, sweat & tears into - and on top of the track, and it's all working perfectly is an amazing feeling.

Comment

I like making people with better cars and bigger budgets cry.
                          I live off the tears of other racers.
                          Originally Posted by Tut
                          THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
                            Interesting question.
                            But, mostly, that feeling when you're on top of the car - that you've put so much blood, sweat & tears into - and on top of the track, and it's all working perfectly is an amazing feeling.
                            You should read this book if you haven’t already.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	E511F64A-542A-4EA0-8237-7AE4A1EC94A7.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	7266651
                            As should anyone that takes pleasure from driving a high performance or racing car. It’s bloody great.
                            I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post

You should read this book if you haven’t already.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	E511F64A-542A-4EA0-8237-7AE4A1EC94A7.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	7266651
                              As should anyone that takes pleasure from driving a high performance or racing car. It’s bloody great.
                              Absolutely. It's a good read. I've got a few of these type of books, this is a good one. Always learning.

Comment

23Kev reflecting in this a little bit more, do you think our generation will be the last that talks about cars like this given what is on the horizon with the electric world?
                                Find your Freedom
                                Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                                www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                                www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                                If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Working...
                                X