Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else use 98 in their shitbox that probably only needs 91?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else use 98 in their shitbox that probably only needs 91?

So filling up the nopics car the other day I noticed that 98 was 30 cents more per litre than 91, so I filled it up with that. This got me thinking, I run 98 in the hilux because I advanced the timing too much years ago to avoid pings, and run 98 in the corolla because ??? Superstition?

I have since fixed the timing on the Hilux (a mate filled it up with ping juice after borrowing it) and can't think of any reason a bog standard corolla needs 98, so will be switching to 91.

Now I just need to work out what I'm going to do with all the extra money.
    ​​​​

For years I was filling our swift with 98 thinking I was doing the right thing, then my wife mentioned she only fills it with 91. Have been using 91 ever since and I really can't tell the difference.

I used to fill my VP ute with 98 because it made it feel a lot smother plus I did the numbers and the improved fuel economy meant it worked out only slightly dearer than using 91.

Comment

we generally put 98 in my wifes merc that requests 95, it does 10l/100km all short and suburban shopping, so an extra $5 per week. my subaru gets the cheap stuff it asks for 91 and gets it. I don't know why i give her car an extra 3 of happy points.

Comment

My e34 540i couldn't tell the difference so it got the cheapest stuff, as does the Honda ST1100. Everything else is high compression and/or boosted so they get 98.
        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Well fuck I use 98 in my dodge at4 with its mighty 6:1 compression.

can now run 10 degrees base timing instead of the standard 5

so baller

Comment

I used to run 95 in my bm maz3. Distance to empty always showed 690kms. Couldn’t get 95 so put 98 in it. Not only does it go better but distance to empty has jumped to 780kms.
            Originally posted by Einstein
            The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

If the sticker says 98, it gets it (clubbie/yaris) If it doesn't (xc90v8) it gets 91.

I have noticed that some brands are further apart in price. Shell will be further apart than caltex by a fair bit. Considering it all comes out the same ship, what gives there?
              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

My Polo needs 95. I run 98 every so often, however fuel consumption is generally better using 95.
                1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
                1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Comment

I happily ran 95* in the Cayenne and do the same in the LS1, but the turbo taxi gets 98, because turbo and QLD heat.

*95 e10, because it's even cheaper than 91 and the manuals say it will be fine.
                  Originally posted by doctorpat
                  It's not that every person with the coof spreads it to 8 people. It's that 50 people spread it to nobody, 40 spread it to their nopix and kids, 5 spread it to nopix, kids, neighbour, and mate that came over to watch the footy, and the last five went to a secret illegal rave, gave it to 17 people in the mosh pit, then went to an underground hairdresser, gave it to 22 people there, then went and drank a coffee on the beach while hugging and kissing another 52 people, and then needed to look at paint colours at bunnings, before going to work as a checkoutchick at Aldi.

Comment

i put 98 in everything - in the daily because it needs it, and in the weekend car for the longer shelf life

Comment

I get to do the Syd to Melb run and the Syd to Canberra run in my Suzuki turbo and 95 get almost the same kms as 98.

These days I cheap out and fill up with Metro 94 and I I usually put some 95 or 98 on top to give that sharp throttle response feeling lol

Comment

Nope. Cheapest E10 I can find when the tank is getting low.
                        Originally posted by Marlin
                        Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

i used to put 98 even in rental cars

now i charge at peak times because YOLO

premium electricity for my tesla

Comment

My 99 corolla with 290k gets 98 in summer when it occasionally rattles in heavy traffic and when prices are low. Otherwise it gets e10 so 94. But have seen 600kms from a tank on 98, which for a 22 yr old Toyota is pretty epic

Must say little shitboxes love the e10. After running an '04 echo with 400k on e10 and it driving noticeably better than 91. Not sure if it's the leaning out or extra ron or ethanol cleaning the crud out of fuel systems. I do put in new fuel filters after a month or 2 if I go to e10 just to be safe

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dogsballs; 07-07-21, 09:13 PM.
                            Originally posted by 50RTD
                            Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
                            Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
                            Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

Comment

I've been tracking fuel use and cost in the Y62 since I got it in November last year. It got 98 up until 3 tanks ago (6800) and I've been trialing E10 for the last few tanks. No loss of power, economy I can't be certain of after only 3 tanks but looks to be 10% extra used at most but probably more like 5% and E10 is generally 20% cheaper than 98.

The book says to use 98 for best performance but also says it can run on 91 if needed with reduced performance. I can't notice a problem at the supposedly 94 of E10 and it's shitloads cheaper so that's what it's getting from now on.

Comment

Working...
                              X