Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else use 98 in their shitbox that probably only needs 91?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The VS (Ecomoo) felt more responsive on 95 than 91, if you were flattening your foot it probably made little difference but when using the throttle lightly you didn't need to push as hard when running 95 to get the same acceleration.
    The VF (L77) I've not even tried it on anything less than 98, but there's probably no solid reason apart from mechanical sympathy not to use 91 and let the sniffy/listeny sensor thingies do some work for a living. I'll bet it has the same throttle-response thing though, which would therefore annoy me & I'd go back to 98.
    I've never been in a position where I've been anywhere near an E85 pump when being really low on fuel, in order to see how the VF responds to it.
    The Volvo's tuned to need 98, plus it sits around ... I almost never fill it up, try and only put in what I'll use to drive it & get back home, in case it doesn't get used for months.

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Some quick googling found some USA discussions, many of their questions were about if they could use 87 instead of "premium" 89 or 91. Guess you need to ponder the numbers that nature deals you.
    Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
    Their octane rating is not the same as ours.
    Indeed, we use RON:

Last edited by Captiva Fan; 08-07-21, 11:34 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

They're octane rating is not the same as ours.
      Right you are, I thought it was closer as they have 94 (figured this was our 95) but it looks like their 87 is about our 91.

Comment

We use RON and the yanks use MON for octane ratings

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
          Nope. Cheapest E10 I can find when the tank is getting low.
          This it's geting binned at the end of the warranty period so I give zero fucks.
          If in doubt power out

Comment

They're octane rating is not the same as ours.
            RON/MON and ours is RON. So, umm, two point difference

"Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
              RON/MON and ours is RON. So, umm, two point difference
              Closer to 5 from that comparo above.
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Lol who the fuck changed my spelling of their?

Comment

BREAKING NEWS

I put 20 litres of 91 in today, empty light had been on a few days so probably still had 5 litre of 98 in there, I would have filled up but didn't want to overcapitalise. Hasn't blown up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                    This it's geting binned at the end of the warranty period so I give zero fucks.
                    Ran our Peugeot 307 (Premium 95 stated on fuel cap) on E10 for 10+ years (100,000KM) no problem at all. Sure its not a performance, but it drove fine, no problems at all.
                    Last edited by MZ21; 08-07-21, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I put 95 in the mrs car cause she takes 6 months to go through a tank of fuel and ethanol doesn’t have the best shelf life. 98 is a fair waste of money for that thing.
                      Last edited by Reedy; 09-07-21, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                        Closer to 5 from that comparo above.
                        Indeed it is.

Seppo 93 is Antidpodean 98

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post
                          I was always under the impression that running 98 in an engine designed for 91 was an excercise in futility. The engine doesn't have the compression or ignition timing to take advantage of the greater anti knock properties of the fuel.
                          There may be some benefit of a better detergent additive package in the more expensive fuel.
                          Depends on the car.
                          FG Falcon specified 91 minimum, but in the fine print said running premium would increase performance as the engine would advance the timing to suit. I think on 98 it would make 210kw/420nm.
                          Last edited by Sturmovik; 09-07-21, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                            Depends on the car.
                            FG Falcon specified 91 minimum, but in the fine print said running premium would increase performance as the engine would advance the timing to suit. I think on 98 it would make 210kw/420nm.
                            From memory, don't manufacturers generally quote the lowest fuel rating that's not going to fuck the car, but quote the power when running on the highest rated fuel commonly available?
                            Makes me wonder if our Commode only makes 260kW on E85!

Actually, thinking about the topic of this thread ...
                            (*) the Volvo gets Nulon or Penrite full-synthetic in it's 70's-style under-stressed SOHC cast-iron engine
                            (*) the Commode gets Michelin PS4S's for the nopix to drive about 10km return to work (and she never uses more than about 1% throttle)
                            It's probably all a bit overkill ...
                            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 09-07-21, 08:31 AM.

Comment

FZJ105 cruiser gets 91, have tried 98 a few times when prices were low and made no difference to km/tanks or butt dyno.
                              Fireblade gets 98
                              Lexus used to get 95, because love, but will be 98/e85 when running again
                              The Slowly IS300

Comment

98 in the toys, 95 in everything else.
                                ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X