Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else use 98 in their shitbox that probably only needs 91?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hailshitter Mazda 121 gets 98 because of the detergents etc in the better fuel, plus when it's $40 every couple of months to fill it who cares? All our work shitters use 98 for same reason, even the trusty old 1990 Rodeo mule. The young bloke's Bora$motion will use 98 because VAG engines are picky about fuel, espcially the VR6. Also a good way to teach him about real costs of cars, as if owning a 20 year old VAG isn't enough.
    In a similar vein, who uses the cheaper "truck*" diesel in their soot chuckers? I only use "premium" diesel in the prehistoric 4D56 Challenger with it's deleted EGR while nopics sometimes puts the cheap shit in her EURO5 V6 Citroen, complete with DPF and holyshitexpensive EGR. We have noticed when she puts the crap stuff in it does soot a little more, ie she notices a puff of smoke when she floors it.

*calling that shit truck diesel is amusing since most of our trucks can't run it and our Scania will shut down if it ran it.

Comment

Please educate me on the different diesels. I thought they (Australia only here) were all just one step up from fish and chip oil. I look for the high flow pump because I'm an impatient fuck but didn't realise it was actually different to the 'premium' labelled diesel

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
        Please educate me on the different diesels. I thought they (Australia only here) were all just one step up from fish and chip oil. I look for the high flow pump because I'm an impatient fuck but didn't realise it was actually different to the 'premium' labelled diesel
        From the limited info out there standard diesel has a slightly higher sulfur content, and no additives such as anti foaming, anti algea, detergents etc.
        Premium diesel has the additives and may have less sulfur content, but the Australian standard allows a maxium of 10ppm of sulfur with is the same as the EU anyway.
        So in reality, either is fine. And the Scania rep was taking the piss. Not that it matters since we've currently got premium alpine diesel in our fuel dump in the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
          In a similar vein, who uses the cheaper "truck*" diesel in their soot chuckers? I only use "premium" diesel in the prehistoric 4D56 Challenger with it's deleted EGR while nopics sometimes puts the cheap shit in her EURO5 V6 Citroen, complete with DPF and holyshitexpensive EGR. We have noticed when she puts the crap stuff in it does soot a little more, ie she notices a puff of smoke when she floors it.
          FIL uses the cheapest diesel available in his Santa Fe which has a DPF, I wasn't really aware of the 'premium' diesel stuff until I happened to see one of the pumps a little while back. He complains about the cost of fuel fairly regularly so I doubt he'd ever use it, though the last time he was driving to Sydney I told him he should do a fill with premium as it might mean better mileage and a bit of extra 'cleaning' on an extended run due to the different detergent packs.
          Last edited by andy_wk; 09-07-21, 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I figure anything that can help clean the internals of the engine has to be a good thing, especially with EGRs. I've run several bottles of the liquid moly upper engine cleaner through the Challenger since I deleted the EGR, mainly because like all VGT turbos mine leaks, and have done the same with the Mazda. Haven't done it on the Citroen because I have nfi where I'd squirt it in since they packed 50lbs of shit into a 1lb purse. Nopics is also worried that if I did it'll fuck something, probably should have told her the price of the EGR valves after I did an intake clean. The irony of her using the cheap diesel is the fact the car had a DPF fault when we bought it, caryard fixed it as a condition of sale but we've had a forced regen done on it since.

Comment

My patrol runs the same on “truck diesel” as it does on the “special diesel”

Surly for 2 cents a litre extra the special should be betterer
              Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Both the MZR-DISI in the CX-7 and the LS3 in the VF II MSE get 98 only, even though both would be happy enough on 95 RON.. Have trained the nopics to only use 98 in her Clio IV 1.2l turbo monster. That thing runs on a thought of the smell of an oily rag. Comfortably does around 5.5l/100km on a trip

Comment

The Legnum requires 98 and I run the Stout on it as well with valve saver as I find it runs better than on 91.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
                  Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

All my cars and the bike are run on 98.

The ute has a sticker saying it can run in 91, but for the one tank I did it ran like shit.

The Merc could probably get away with 91, but the amount it's driven I just throw 98 at it.

The wagon I use 98 as I find it easier to get than 95 around my place.

The bike either 95 or 98, basically whatever is available when I need to fill it up. It seems to run the same on either.

Comment

No.
                      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Subie says its OK on 91, but it pings. At light low rpm throttles. SO i try to avoid 91 now.
                        95 it is.
                        everything else goes 98.
                        www.markpakula.com
                        2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                        2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                        2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                        2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Two old girls in the stable at present, MKV Jetta (i.e. VAG 2.0TSi) with APR tunes & Suzuki Ignis Sport with 11:1 compression occasional thrasher, so both on BP Ultimate (98) only.

Comment

I ran my bf falcon ute on 98. The mild performance improvement and mild economy improvement combined made it worthwhile each individually on their own were not enough to justify it.

Sometimes I wasn't sure it was worth it. Then I'd loan it to dad and he'd fill it with e10. The gains were real.
                            Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                            I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
                              I ran my bf falcon ute on 98. The mild performance improvement and mild economy improvement combined made it worthwhile each individually on their own were not enough to justify it.

Sometimes I wasn't sure it was worth it. Then I'd loan it to dad and he'd fill it with e10. The gains were real.
                              E10 is not the same as 91 though.

Comment

Have been filling up the CLK240 with 98, then 95, and yesterday filled it up with E10. I do around 600km a week, so no worries about it going stale. Couldn't notice any performance difference after fillup, but it only has 125kw anyway lol

Comment

Working...
                                X