No announcement yet.

Lotus Emira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This replaces the Elise, Exige and Evora going forward, not neccessarliy technically but they're moving to the one platform.

Given it's 1400kg I think the old cars will still be desirable. Is a very nice looking car.

Comment

Manual available in V6 only, when emissions tighten then the AMG 4 cylinder will be the only option.
      So Lotus have guarded themselves against future regulations and promises more power in future versions.
      Weight & size is up so it is very much a Cayman competitor.

Comment

Price is an interesting one. I'd have one in a heartbeat, but if it's getting close to $150k + ORC you'd be having a long hard think about a Cayman GTS with the 4.0 instead.

Yes, it might be $20-30k more but the Cayman will sound better, be more reliable and have better resale.

Comment

Fingers crossed Caterham takes on the tooling for the Elise/Exige so they can live on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
            Price is an interesting one. I'd have one in a heartbeat, but if it's getting close to $150k + ORC you'd be having a long hard think about a Cayman GTS with the 4.0 instead.

Yes, it might be $20-30k more but the Cayman will sound better, be more reliable and have better resale.
            I think thats the car they'll have to price against pretty much around the world. The Turbo 4 718's are effective but, well, just don't have that fizz a Porsche should have and the GTS4.0 has imo an engine that is a bit more special than the Lotus along with higher quality and a Porsche badge (albeit in 'you couldn't afford a 911' guise). GTS4.0 is driveaway 200k here isn't it? 150 driveaway for the emira should have it competing strongly I think and they have said it will be priced well under the Evora with a 60k pounds price being bandied about for the UK. Fingers crossed as the more they sell the more will be rattling around in the secondhand market when everything goes electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post

The Cayman unfortunately ends up being a 200k+ proposition by the time you get meaningful options.

Convincing the nopics an exige v6 was a good idea was possible, another 40 to 50k would be a flat nope.
              POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Comment

I think it comes down to your personal situation. To me anything with two seats above $100k would be equally 'nope' so I (and presumably my nopics) see them all the same!

I think I'd have better luck with a $70k Caterham/secondhand Elise purchase. However give it a couple of years and a $100k secondhand V6 Emira could be doable - Lotuses often do minimal kilometres and come up cheap. The problem is the only one I'd buy is the V6 manual, of which they will sell about three.

Comment

1400kg? At that weight it needs to undercut the cayman considerably surely, as it no longer has the light weight edge
                  Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                  Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

It's a good looking rig. I hope they sell a ton.

Comment

I do wonder if they have cut out a lot of their market with this.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing, but people who were buying the exige v6 as a track toy won't want another 400kg of weight.
                      People who bought the evora because it had rear seats (more practical) may consider the small space behind the seats in the Emira as not big enough.
                      Elise owners wouldn't be in this budget, and it's not a convertible.

I'm glad they kept the v6, it's a great engine.

Comment

Absolutely love it. Never considered a Lotus until now. I’ve been pricing up a Cayman GTS over last couple of months. Love the Cayman but cabin is a bit tight. Fits like a glove though. Based on the few options I’ve selected, drive away price for the GTS is $215k. At this point was thinking might as well go the GT4 with zero options. Low front splitter is a concern though..

First heard of the Emira last night when all the various YouTube vids dropped. Definitely a worthy contender.

Comment

Originally posted by StanM3 View Post
                          Absolutely love it. Never considered a Lotus until now. I’ve been pricing up a Cayman GTS over last couple of months. Love the Cayman but cabin is a bit tight. Fits like a glove though. Based on the few options I’ve selected, drive away price for the GTS is $215k. At this point was thinking might as well go the GT4 with zero options. Low front splitter is a concern though..
                          My driveway's a bit shit (standard-height VF will scrape if you go too quickly and don't approach at an angle), but if you use the right angle you can reverse a 981 GT4 in without scraping.
                          FYI.
                          You do want to get any hookers in the frunk before rigor-mortis starts setting-in, though. Volume wise it's fine, you just have to fold them a bit. Frunk trim colour is brilliant for not getting visibly stained by any juices that leak, too.
                          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                            My driveway's a bit shit (standard-height VF will scrape if you go too quickly and don't approach at an angle), but if you use the right angle you can reverse a 981 GT4 in without scraping.
                            FYI.
                            You do want to get any hookers in the frunk before rigor-mortis starts setting-in, though. Volume wise it's fine, you just have to fold them a bit. Frunk trim colour is brilliant for not getting visibly stained by any juices that leak, too.
                            Haha I’ll keep that in mind. Been to the local Porsche dealership a couple of times with nopics. Funnily enough she was most interested in the rip-off Porsche luggage bags that are made for the frunk..

Comment

Originally posted by StanM3 View Post

Haha I’ll keep that in mind. Been to the local Porsche dealership a couple of times with nopics. Funnily enough she was most interested in the rip-off Porsche luggage bags that are made for the frunk..
                              If you do buy one don't buy the bags until after delivery, they threw one of them in free when I took delivery (with hats, key chains, umbrellas which are actually bloody good etc)

Comment

my main concern is lotus try to go upmarket every couple decades or so and nearly bankrupt themselves every time. their natural niche seems to be in the cheap, light, doesnt take itself too seriously segment. if they really want to take the fight to the likes of porsche etc they are going to face very stiff competition.

also it bodes well for the resale of my elise... 1400kg! looks like the days of the ultralight spartan sports car is gone. the supposed elise replacement EV wont be light either with the batteries weighing it down. what's the lightest thing on the market now.. probably an alfa 4C?
                                1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X