No announcement yet.

Lotus Emira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4c production stopped in 2020. So probably the Alpine A110.
    If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
      my main concern is lotus try to go upmarket every couple decades or so and nearly bankrupt themselves every time. their natural niche seems to be in the cheap, light, doesnt take itself too seriously segment. if they really want to take the fight to the likes of porsche etc they are going to face very stiff competition.
      Are they really selling anything in the lightweight niche segment though? There are fuck all newer Elises on the road.
      If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by StanM3 View Post
        Absolutely love it. Never considered a Lotus until now. I’ve been pricing up a Cayman GTS over last couple of months. Love the Cayman but cabin is a bit tight. Fits like a glove though. Based on the few options I’ve selected, drive away price for the GTS is $215k. At this point was thinking might as well go the GT4 with zero options. Low front splitter is a concern though..

First heard of the Emira last night when all the various YouTube vids dropped. Definitely a worthy contender.
        I think the V6 Emira will be around Aus$200k. That has been close to the price for the Evora 400/410s with the 430s going for a bit more.

How the Emira with the AMG drivetrain ends up being heavier than the Merc A45 AMG is a bit mind boggling.

Any thoughts that the Emira is an Elise replacement is pure marketing BS. An Elise shopper won't look at an Emira but an Exige buyer might. When I bought my Evora it was because I wanted something very different to my old Elise. The Exige wasn't different enough. Went back to an Elise because I preferred the form factor. Considered the Exige just because I like the drivetrain but I heard too many stories of V6 Exige owners trading back down to an Elise because they preferred the driving experience. The Elise is all about the chassis, the V6 Exige is about the drivetrain and the Evora was the (relatively) plush GT experience.

The biggest obstacle Lotus is going to face is the poor dealer network and after sales support in the USA. It has really held the Evora back in the US. That can be a problem in Australia too but the current distributor has made big improvements in the last few years, especially for Sydney and Melbourne owners.
        If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
          How the Emira with the AMG drivetrain ends up being heavier than the Merc A45 AMG is a bit mind boggling.
          Um A45 AMG is over 1600kg, https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19962739/?Cr=7

Emira is 1400kg.
          If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
            Are they really selling anything in the lightweight niche segment though? There are fuck all newer Elises on the road.
            pretty sure it was still their best selling car up till now? there have always been fuck all. it's a niche market
            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

The problem with the weight gain is that it moves Lotus into a more competitive market.

Having said that, the market for sub 1000kg four cylinder mid engined coupes probably consists of about 8 people. Most of us have already posted in here.

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                what's the lightest thing on the market now.. probably an alfa 4C?
                Alfa 4C is NLA. There are no new Elises left so the only option is an MX-5 at 1060kg (the FIAT version is gone too). The BMW M4 is about 1400kg depending on the version.
                If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

M4 is a tick under 1700. Cars are proper heavy these days (well, M3/4's for some time)

In terms of the 'replacement', certainly sizewise the Emira is clearly more a replacement for an Evora but my understanding is that the Elise/Exige are being retired and anything new in this space will be electric so in effect the Emira will 'replace' them, just not what you'd call a 'spiritual' replacment.

If its ~200k in Aus it will fail imo, it has to undercut the GTS 4.0 handily otherwise the potential market is tiny. I'm feeling positive though, come on Lotus, sharpen the pencil.

Comment

Yep $130-150k they'd sell like hot cakes but if it's priced the same as a Porsche the Porsche wins every time due to resale, reliability and badge cred.
                    If in doubt power out

Comment

Great looking car. I think id pick the V6 over the turbo 4 for this sort of car though
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                        Great looking car. I think id pick the V6 over the turbo 4 for this sort of car though
                        V6 manual for me too.

Altho I don’t know if it will have the same level of track goodies as a cayman does. Can you spec bucket seats for example? The big appeal of the GT4 is you can roll it off the showroom floor, get a wheel alignment and go to a track day without needing to do a thing to it. I’m not sure this car exists in such a guise so getting excited over the 60k “base” price might be a bit premature.

As you have all said. If they can do it for $150k it’s very compelling.
                        Last edited by Reedy; 08-07-21, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I’m definitely V6 manual as well.

No buckets from what I’ve seen, they always talk about 4 way and 12 way adjustable as the options.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
                            M4 is a tick under 1700. Cars are proper heavy these days (well, M3/4's for some time)
                            According to this article that's the manual lighweight seat version. The full fat AWD auto is over 1800kg, or on par with my M550i....crazy heavy.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/11/g82-bmw-m4-heavier/
                            When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Not really a surpise, going to struggle to make a car AWD and make it lighter than the prior rwd platform. Merc had this issue when they made the E63 AWD so it went from a 2 tonne car to like 2.2 tonnes.

V6 manual makes sense to me too, proven platform that long term will be cheaper to maintain than a highly strung Merc 4 banger that sounds aids.
                              Last edited by Rona; 08-07-21, 04:46 PM.
                              If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                                Not really a surpise, going to struggle to make a car AWD and make it lighter than the prior rwd platform. Merc had this issue when they made the E63 AWD so it went from a 2 tonne car to like 2.2 tonnes.

V6 manual makes sense to me too, proven platform that long term will be cheaper to maintain than a highly strung Merc 4 banger that sounds aids.
                                I guess my surprise here is that an M car of the size down is not lighter than the luxo barge 5 series with a V8.
                                When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Working...
                                X