RX7 Prices 2021 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX7 Prices 2021 Edition

So I now fit into the category of older/fatter and can now afford the teenage dream car, that being a late model RX7. Prices are through the roof at the moment, particularly for the rarer models. I had a chat to the guys at IronChef and they think it would cost about $100k for a good RZ example landed now... more so for a Spirit R.

That lead me to look at carsales. There are obviously some dreamers there who have just posted up their cars with ridiculous prices who probably have no intention of really selling them.

Looking further though there are a couple of nicer modified examples such as these;
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7259562/?Cr=9
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...7087963/?Cr=11
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6789129/?Cr=5

Originally I wanted to get something stock and more collectible in the hope it would hold it's value better. But at the same time I don't want to be worried about changing anything on it and also want to take it on the track. This has me leaning towards something like one of the above. Buying locally would also mean I could inspect it in person.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Prices are mental and plenty of dreamers to cash in (including me soon possibly lol). But I can't see them coming back down. You are correct Spirit R, Type RZ is the premium pick since SP is unobtainable. I have a Type RS and it has actual substance to make it a better model (more power via better turbos, twin oil coolers, shorter ratio box, bigger brakes etc. Personally I'd avoid garden variety RBs because it feels like people are trying to cash in their 'POV packs' on the back of the price hikes. Bathurst R, Type R Bathurst R etc seem to be overplayed for some carbon trim when often those models have the small brakes and low power turbos.

Avoid Marcus Read like the plague until you absolutely must buy something off him. He sells some nice cars but has been rumoured to be a pretty dodgey cunt with them too.

So Type RS, Spirit R, Type RZ and those will be between $70k-$100k I would think. The more stock the better I would say but a single conversion is considered maintenance on these due to the amount of issues with the twins and vac lines have. You'd want to get the stock turbos with the car though for purity reasons.

Happy to help look at any in Brisbane and Melbourne SE suburbs if you want help.

Comment

i thought these were expensive at 40k lol. surely at 80-100k you would have higher aspirations in terms of car?
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

yeah but if you’re after a rotary there’s not many avenues to get one. I got lucky with the sa22 and both fc’s
        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Wow $70k+ for black dials. Some big numbers there. Top cars but not worth that amount of bread.
          Fortune favours the white knights

Comment

Oh yeah for sure. A GR Yaris would be a much better choice but isn’t an RX7. It’s a big outlay but I shouldn’t lose money on it when it comes time to sell.

thanks for the advice lukeevl

took the dog for a walk just then and this was at a local workshop! (There we’re actually 2 matching ones).

Comment

I bought mine for low 20s in late 2013, had about 100000km on it, wasn't perfect but I'm comfortable modding it. Inflation has not only covered parts but labour and rego/insurance over that time, not that I ever plan to sell it. I'm happy to keep the factory twin oil coolers, will fit ducts to them, go large single (keeping 35r for hillclimb/motorkhanas), looking to make a steel diff girdle and gearbox floor plate and see if I can make my OS gearset, cusco lsd and solid pinion spacer factory diff last at water injection boost. Looks like a genuine bolt in flywheel to carbon driveshaft kit with tweaked t56 magnum out of the states would be 20k landed. Will upgrade to the larger factory brakes.

Try to avoid something that has been chopped up and had a shitty bridgeport/mismatched turbo/microtech installed with "race" apex seals that still eat housing chrome running more premix than an outboard.

An fd with MCA suspension and well maintained driveline and quality exhaust is pretty special to drive.

Never had any problems with matey myself but I know the fd forum guys don't like him.
              Last edited by Slides; 13-07-21, 05:38 PM.

Comment

They are an amazing car in many ways. I don’t think the pricing is ridiculous considering what GTRs are fetching

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                  They are an amazing car in many ways. I don’t think the pricing is ridiculous considering what GTRs are fetching
                  Agreed. I could only afford an fc but would go to an fd in a heartbeat.
                  also owning three rotaries has been less painful than having one Gtr, granted, they’re slower with about two moving parts but still. Not that I’d sell either at this stage
                  Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                  Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

This thread makes me sad as I've definitely missed the FD boat
                    There were some less than stellar examples available for under 20k when I was looking at them about 7 years ago. I bought a Supra instead, so it's not all bad as at least I scratched that itch, but the FD one will be hard to hit now.
                    Originally posted by doctorpat
                    It's not that every person with the coof spreads it to 8 people. It's that 50 people spread it to nobody, 40 spread it to their nopix and kids, 5 spread it to nopix, kids, neighbour, and mate that came over to watch the footy, and the last five went to a secret illegal rave, gave it to 17 people in the mosh pit, then went to an underground hairdresser, gave it to 22 people there, then went and drank a coffee on the beach while hugging and kissing another 52 people, and then needed to look at paint colours at bunnings, before going to work as a checkoutchick at Aldi.

Comment

Not sure if “Steyr” (Barry) still posts on here, if he ever did, but he had a genuine unmolested SP as a daily. Saw him drive past a couple of years ago and it’s still looking amazing. I hate to think what they’d be worth now - how many were actually made? IIRC it was only something like 20??

Comment

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=157658

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                          I think pricing is ridiculous because GTR pricing is ridiculous and we've all become desensitized by it the past 18 months...Too many geniuses out there banging it on the home loan with no regards to pricing thinking covid tax will last forever.

You might not want to hear it but a decent RX8 can be had for $10k - another $20k on that makes it a strong track car. You then still have $50-$70k left over for a good FD when prices settle down a bit

Comment

You've devalued yours Luke by removing the rotary heart.

30k offer.
                            6L FD3S RX7
                            GR Supra
                            Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

I remember seriously considering buying an FD to do an LS3 conversion prior to buying my VF II HSV. You wouldn't even think about it now. Crazy...
                              The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Working...
                              X