RX7 Prices 2021 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
    Prices are mental and plenty of dreamers to cash in (including me soon possibly lol). But I can't see them coming back down. You are correct Spirit R, Type RZ is the premium pick since SP is unobtainable. I have a Type RS and it has actual substance to make it a better model (more power via better turbos, twin oil coolers, shorter ratio box, bigger brakes etc. Personally I'd avoid garden variety RBs because it feels like people are trying to cash in their 'POV packs' on the back of the price hikes. Bathurst R, Type R Bathurst R etc seem to be overplayed for some carbon trim when often those models have the small brakes and low power turbos.

Avoid Marcus Read like the plague until you absolutely must buy something off him. He sells some nice cars but has been rumoured to be a pretty dodgey cunt with them too.

So Type RS, Spirit R, Type RZ and those will be between $70k-$100k I would think. The more stock the better I would say but a single conversion is considered maintenance on these due to the amount of issues with the twins and vac lines have. You'd want to get the stock turbos with the car though for purity reasons.

Happy to help look at any in Brisbane and Melbourne SE suburbs if you want help.
    Only the RB/RB-S had the small power output engine, Type R and up all have the same engine just the brakes are the smaller size on the Type R.

I have a very late production Type R Bathurst, glad I jumped on it last year while I could still afford it. Can't believe the prices they're fetching now. With the way the market is though, imho, it just comes down to best condition car within your budget - model grade doesn't matter.

Agree, the more stock the better. The more fiddled with it is, the more likely you are to have to chase little things to fix.

Last edited by [ryan]; 13-07-21, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlsv88 View Post

I think pricing is ridiculous because GTR pricing is ridiculous and we've all become desensitized by it the past 18 months...Too many geniuses out there banging it on the home loan with no regards to pricing thinking covid tax will last forever.

You might not want to hear it but a decent RX8 can be had for $10k - another $20k on that makes it a strong track car. You then still have $50-$70k left over for a good FD when prices settle down a bit
      Well that’s the question. Are prices going to go down or just keep going up? An RX8 doesn’t really do it for me unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
        I remember seriously considering buying an FD to do an LS3 conversion prior to buying my VF II HSV. You wouldn't even think about it now. Crazy...
        The old man has a super clean S1 which is caged along with S3 running gear and with all the parts to turn it into an awesome gravel rally car (e.g MCA Gold). Will most likely be a track car now as it isn’t worth the risk on gravel.

The reason he has an RX7 is because I rolled his RX3 rally car into an absolute ball about 15 years ago… think every panel touched the ground twice before hitting a tree 6ft up with the rear quarter. There was enough energy that from the hit that the car did a sideways 180 before landing back on the ground.

Comment

You might not want to hear it but a decent RX8 can be had for $10k - another $20k on that makes it a strong track car. You then still have $50-$70k left over for a good FD when prices settle down a bit
          Originally posted by neil_se View Post
          You've devalued yours Luke by removing the rotary heart.

30k offer.
          Seriously though if I got good money for my car I’d switch to an RX8. The FD is just too nice for a track car and I want something more now with less weight and aero

Comment

If I get an rx8 that still has an original engine it will get boost with lots of water, when it died, alloy block v8. They are supposed to be a great chassis but it just isn't an rx7, regardless of name.

Comment

Nah, this is 100% about nostalgia.
              A new Toyobaru would probably outdo a Ferrari 288GTO around most race-tracks, but I know which of those two I'd prefer to buy in new condition for ~$45k now ...
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I paid about 24k for my old Series 8 RX7 RS in 2012. First AUS owner, had everything the RZ did minus the recaros and stickers. Was a fantastic car and id suggest if you wanted one, then get one now before the ship sets sail and they become unobtainable. Pay more for the best example you can afford, they are a 21plus yr old car now and have their share of niggling issues which i am sure is only going to be worse now with age.

Luke owns my old rig now, sans rotary. Still regret selling it but such is life. Still have a Series 3 and piece of shit converted rotary 808.

edit - rx8s are also on the price rise so if you want one of those then better jump quickly (feels weird saying that, perhaps i should go wash myself now that I have)
                Last edited by rotorhead16; 14-07-21, 03:16 AM.

Comment

FDs look awesome and are the perfect end of the series, like 993s and Supras were in that era. Peak 90s styling.

No one looking at these is considering a fugly Yaris, 86, etc. as an alternative.

Comment

I'd absolutely love an FD, I've never ever been a rotary guy but the shape of the car and the motorsport history of the RX7 is just amazing. I still believe its one of the best looking cars on the road.

Originally posted by Disgruntled View Post
                    No one looking at these is considering a fugly Yaris, 86, etc. as an alternative.
                    If I won the lottery I'd get one to park alongside the Yaris
                    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

A mate has an S6, S5 and S3 (all stock, very low kms and immaculate) and another mate has a S2 and S3 (one PP, one Turbo) and have seen the substantial increase in values for their cars recently but they won't sell. I believe the S6 received an offer around $150k and he wouldn't part with it.

​​​To be fair, it's crazy clean, well optioned and 100% original. I remember him paying some crazy price from Mazda for a factory exhaust for the S5 because only OEM will do. If most people won't let go of them for any money, then if you want one, it's pure supply and demand and you will pay big dollars for what's left (of an already rare car).
                      Last edited by HSV Senator; 14-07-21, 09:19 AM.

Comment

The S6 are a unique purchase, especially for an immaculate example because they were AUS delivered. Plus side also is the aus delivered examples have cruise control where as the S8 does not. S6 also have leather seats, and some were also optioned with a sunroof. Only downside mainly is the S8 (or Version 5 onwards) have the updated front bumper and rear spoiler which looks much nicer than the S6.
                        S7 are also a rare hen these days, hard ro find a good one too.

Id expect a s6 would fetch a higher price for a compartive example to an s8. Most were Ed Hardied by Queen St and all the Moeys in Western Sydney, so an immac on is a hard find these days.

if you come across references to Version 5 and 6 when looking around, Version 5 is MY 99/00 with black dial gauge cluster ane nardi labelled steering wheel, Version 6 is late model My 00/02, white dial gauge cluser and Flying M (mazda badge) on steering wheel. This is very important to note, because some shady importers will swap out gauge clusters and steering wheels to the earlier models. You shouldnt see the whie gauges and Flying M steering wheel on early S8 models (1999/2000 models), and if you do id be very very wary.

Happy to help with any technical knowledge for the different model types etc.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys. Any thoughts on the 3 cars I posted in the first post?

Comment

Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post
                            Thanks for the thoughts so far guys. Any thoughts on the 3 cars I posted in the first post?
                            Id be looking at the 3rd one, its an RS.

Bigger brakes
                            twin oil coolers
                            4.3 ratio diff
                            Slightly different textured seats
                            bilstein suspension as factory
                            280ps turbos
                            adjustable rear wing plate
                            Factory strut brace
                            Few reliabiltiy upgrades over other models

If lucky it has the Bose soundsnake audio system in the boot. Very rare, mine had it. If lukevl still has it he might put up a pic. Very funky bit of 90s design
                            Last edited by rotorhead16; 14-07-21, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Not sure if “Steyr” (Barry) still posts on here, if he ever did, but he had a genuine unmolested SP as a daily. Saw him drive past a couple of years ago and it’s still looking amazing. I hate to think what they’d be worth now - how many were actually made? IIRC it was only something like 20??
                              From the shannons auction a month back, SP for 166k

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...40WD93C83932H/

Comment

Originally posted by rotorhead16 View Post

Id be looking at the 3rd one, its an RS.

Bigger brakes
                                twin oil coolers
                                4.3 ratio diff
                                Slightly different textured seats
                                bilstein suspension as factory
                                280ps turbos
                                adjustable rear wing plate
                                Factory strut brace
                                Few reliabiltiy upgrades over other models

If lucky it has the Bose soundsnake audio system in the boot. Very rare, mine had it. If lukevl still has it he might put up a pic. Very funky bit of 90s design
                                Don't forget the gearbox has a longer 5th also to account for the diff.

Best photo I can find without being near the car. Very cool jigger

Comment

Working...
                                X