Drag Week as a spectator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Week as a spectator

Those who have gone to spectate drag week in the past, was it worth it? I'm guessing there is no significant Australian presence at drag week this year, but some stars are aligning and I'm giving some serious thought to going along.
    Other than the whole thing sounding like a mobile super spreader, I think the worst case scenario is that I burn a weeks vacation time and some goodwill with my wife to browse PF on my phone in the stands during delays... And that doesn't sound all that bad.

How social is it generally? Are there many other week long spectators to grab beers with, or is it largely entrants who are focused on getting through the week? How hard is it to find out checkpoint locations etc. so that spectators can follow the drive route? Watching these things drive down the road is a big part of the appeal for me...

What am I not thinking of?
    Originally posted by myshortyboomba
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

I know a few PF guys have gone. psi999 and tim510 plus a couple others in that same trip.
    From what I heard it was very social and really open.
    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Its great, have been twice and would love to go again. Small town America is the best America.

People are super friendly. The only competitors that were wankers were a team of Australians.

Comment

That's pretty much what I figured, thanks!
        I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

I went in ‘13 and ‘18. In ‘13, I went by myself, hired a Fiesta and just followed along. It was alright but felt a bit like an outsider. Back then, there wasn’t a lot of people following along (especially solo from another country)

In ‘18, went with Dale and another Aussie, Rick. Dale was co pilot with a competitor and me and Rick followed along in a rental. So much better knowing a competitor, being able to go out to dinner with the racers etc.

Once racing has started, it’s pretty easy to find out where the checkpoints are.

I reckon Rocky Mountain Race Week would be as good, if not better. More small townish and a few travel days so not as frantic. I think Race Week has a “non competitor” entrant thingy where you can tag along and be part of it.
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
            I went in ‘13 and ‘18. In ‘13, I went by myself, hired a Fiesta and just followed along. It was alright but felt a bit like an outsider. Back then, there wasn’t a lot of people following along (especially solo from another country)

In ‘18, went with Dale and another Aussie, Rick. Dale was co pilot with a competitor and me and Rick followed along in a rental. So much better knowing a competitor, being able to go out to dinner with the racers etc.

Once racing has started, it’s pretty easy to find out where the checkpoints are.

I reckon Rocky Mountain Race Week would be as good, if not better. More small townish and a few travel days so not as frantic. I think Race Week has a “non competitor” entrant thingy where you can tag along and be part of it.
            Yeah, solo in a rental doesn't sound super fun, going to see if I can rope someone in, got a couple of people who might be into it. (any US based pf folks got a week to waste in September?).
            I saw the race week tag along entrant option and was hoping to get the planets to align and go do that in a car I actually own but that's not going to happen. Signing up for that in a rental seems redundant but I guess it depends what other stuff comes with it. I suppose it's an in with the other people doing it so I'm not just some lurking rando. The route and lack of drive days on 2.0 doesn't massively appeal to me though... Might boil down to whichever week works better for me. :/

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
              Its great, have been twice and would love to go again. Small town America is the best America.

People are super friendly. The only competitors that were wankers were a team of Australians.
              ditto on all of the above.
              Originally posted by gerry;n7288577
              having done my fair share of snorting white powder, made by a bikie in a garage, off a dirty cistern in a night club, means I find the argument about not knowing whats in the vaccine slightly perplexing.

Comment

drag week was fun, would do it again no problems, hard work but fun...
                im a cunt
                and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Working...
                X