Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tidying up the Engine Bay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tidying up the Engine Bay

    Getting sick of looking at the untidy engine bay of my Datsun, so it's time to tidy things up a bit.
    Apart from the wiring, which I should be able to fix up, it looks like the Master Cylinder has had a leak in the past.

    What's the best way to attack this? Not looking at show quality. Just clean it up, prepare it, and give it a quick squirt of paint?

    This is the the rest of the mess...


    Any other tips?
    Last edited by milo; 18-07-21, 05:00 PM.
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

    Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

    #2
    Don't open the bonnet?

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

    Originally posted by 50RTD
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
    Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
    Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

    Comment


      #3
      is it a matchbox toy or are those pics really small ?

      Don't mention the adBlocker !!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by fondles View Post
        is it a matchbox toy or are those pics really small ?
        Resized..
        1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
        1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

        Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

        Comment


          #5
          Start with simple things like painting the rocker cover and radiator. Redo black tape on loom where needed and clean up the 'new' wires. Degrease the paint and/or wipe down with brake clean/prepsol. Visit the local hobby shop and try touch-up the chips thru the bay. If it's still crappy then you could repaint

          Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

          Originally posted by 50RTD
          Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
          Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
          Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

          Comment


            #6
            Pull the engine and do it all, or just give it a wash and ensure everything is neat.

            one of the other, don’t half arse it. Once you start painting parts everything else will look worse. Also, painting engine bays with the engine in is for houses.

            /rant

            Comment


              #7
              agree on pulling the engine. simple on these older cars and so much easier to do a good job

              Comment


                #8
                And once you get started on the rust.. well you will inevitably buy heaps of replacement parts... depending on how far you want to go.

                Decide upfront how much time and $$ you wanna lay into it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Looking at those pics makes me feel all nostalgic for those days when you could see what you needed to fix and be able to access it without performing major orthopedic-style surgery.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'm far from an expert on paint, but I used this on battery tray and it's came up good for a non show car finish in the engine bay

                    https://www.bunnings.com.au/white-kn...paint_p1561851

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Maybe have a peek at my RA65 Celica build thread where I tackled the same problem, ie rust caused by a leaky master cylinder. The short version is I pulled the engine and half stripped the engine bay to deal with it properly. Anything less is going to be a disappointment IMO.
                      Norbie!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yep id be the same pull the engine and give everything a good paint and clean. Will only take an hour max to get an a series out

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Definitely pull the engine out, just be warned though...

                          I did an engine bay refresh on my Val years ago, was initially just going to do tidy up couple of things and clear some rust from what looked like a battery had exploded in there.... but it turned into a lot more:


                          Click image for larger version

Name:	225219_6502793775_1764_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=eLVGsQWPNPgAX8jLji4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=7d80551bec55692b3a091c0a4ed41fa7&oe=60F93875.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	7272406Click image for larger version

Name:	1924206_44950053775_3567_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=I_G6rCRmZXEAX8_UB1c&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=5f8922df0776dd1e906c28ebdc8f6cc6&oe=60F9A6B9.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	7272407


                          Still looks pretty good now though, so it was worth the effort
                          .
                          AutoMotif / VC Valiant / TJ Wrangler

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It looks amazing Big Pete. Well worth it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by big_pete View Post
                              Definitely pull the engine out, just be warned though...

                              I did an engine bay refresh on my Val years ago, was initially just going to do tidy up couple of things and clear some rust from what looked like a battery had exploded in there.... but it turned into a lot more:


                              Click image for larger version

Name:	225219_6502793775_1764_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=eLVGsQWPNPgAX8jLji4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=7d80551bec55692b3a091c0a4ed41fa7&oe=60F93875.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	7272406Click image for larger version

Name:	1924206_44950053775_3567_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=I_G6rCRmZXEAX8_UB1c&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=5f8922df0776dd1e906c28ebdc8f6cc6&oe=60F9A6B9.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	7272407

                              Which one is the before photo?

                              Looks great.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X