Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep turbos or go cam?

Hey fellas,

I've got a backyard twin turbo ve SSV. Has done pretty well for ten years or so, love the noise and the torque but has had issues.

The two major issues now are play in the turbos necessitating a rebuild/new turbos and the constant heat they produce. That can be mitigated somewhat but if I'm honest, in not so inclined with the upkeep as I used to be.

I'm in a rare position where it's in the North and I can get it shipped somewhere en route back to Tas, likely Melbourne (would love to get it to Al or CHE but Melbs better), and can get some things done (move scavenger pump, change pickup, get some venting sorted) or pull it all off and whack a cam in to improve the general reliability and not slowly cook everything in the engine bay.

Thoughts?

The right "turbo" cam with nice tight Lobe separation and lift combined with the spooly bois would go good. You need to take the turbo's off to get to the cam chest so give them a birthday and enjoy earlier and longer torque curve.

The head management could be solved while the manifold is all off.

Comment

I did think about that when I last had the motor out Brasher and it would have been rad but trying to not constantly spend money on maintenance, have something that's not always got something that needs money spent and still enjoying it are the goal.

Have other priorities now like trying to get a block so cutting back on car spends for a while.

Comment

Cliffs can it be done and kept running cost effectively or would cams be more cost effective if I'm keeping this long term.

Comment

Unless the turbo install is truly shit, I imagine just fitting the classic old cam+zorst will give Much Disappointment compared to the turbo torque.
          However my proposed alternative is going to be a lot more exxy - one of the 18 million blower kits available.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

What's causing the heat? Are the housings the right size and not getting choked creating a lot of heat? What about ceramic coating the exhaust housing and manifolds? You'll find it really difficult to go backwards imo. I wouldn't think properly sized turbo's with a reasonable boost level would create too much excess heat? As it's a backyard kit maybe the matching of components is the issue. Just stop at Skidfactory on your way home and let Al fix it!

Comment

LOL

If you take the turbo's off, you'll wonder where all the powers went.

A cam ain't gonna cut it.

If you leave them on you will continue to cook everything.

You can't have your cake and eat it, or your block and turbos, sensibly, convert it back to n.a. keep the turbos &etc. buy block and refit when circumstances allow, probably quite some years down the track.
              " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

fuck the twins off, go single. everyone wins.
                Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                  Unless the turbo install is truly shit, I imagine just fitting the classic old cam+zorst will give Much Disappointment compared to the turbo torque.
                  However my proposed alternative is going to be a lot more exxy - one of the 18 million blower kits available.
                  Yep cams and blower. Old school!

Or have the turbo's rebuilt and ceramic coat everything and heat wrap.

Comment

Ceramic coat and the alloy or inconel heat shielding all over. If ignition timing at cruise is where it should be and you have coated/wrapped/shielded stuff it shouldn't be a massive issue.

Comment

Ceramic coat does Jack shit. People don't realise how hot turbo engine bays can get.

Mild cam will sound nice and still move

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
                      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
                      Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
                      Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

Comment

This'd be like dumping a dirty bitch that deepthroats, does ass-to-mouth & sits on your face for fun, for a frump that will only do missionary with the lights off & might suck your dick on your birthday, but only for a minute...
                        Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                        Originally posted by nutttr
                        People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                          This'd be like dumping a dirty bitch that deepthroats, does ass-to-mouth & sits on your face for fun, for a frump that will only do missionary with the lights off & might suck your dick on your birthday, but only for a minute...
                          This.

Very sigworthy also.

Comment

I don't see cams that cheap an option as you already have the turbos on. Unless you can get some good coin for the kit.

By the time you buy headers, decent otr intake, cams, valve spings, gaskets, labour it starts to add up.

Surley it would be a LOT cheaper to go bigger on the ex housings, heat wrap everything, buy some of that mouldable heat shield stuff and run a few psi less and call it a day. The result will obviously be much better also as you wont be going backwards

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Last edited by vet 180; 21-07-21, 08:48 PM.
                            Originally posted by Babalouie
                            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Wrap down pipes with 1” ceramic fiber and get blankets over the turbos.
                              2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                              2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                              I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Working...
                              X