No announcement yet.

Keep turbos or go cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all those other commitments, I can see why you want to simplify, and that's what I was getting at. My Monaro was always a weekend toy which you would think meant making it wilder with Turbos etc, but it's great never having to think about it. Just get in and drive wherever, still plenty of power and performance. Just like a stock car. Sounds like that's what you want at this point in time. Importantly, no extra cost due to money going to other priorities.

I guess you ask yourself, can your current combo deliver that? If not, pull the turbo kit off, store it, whack in a mild turbo friendly cam and don't think about the car, just enjoy. When life settles down, pull the kit out, sort it and refit. Enjoy with even more power.Assuming it's truly what you want still. Probably what I would do.

Good luck
    Last edited by HSV Senator; 24-07-21, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I've been there with double ceramic coat and wrap, with the high mount Barra stuff in my old Vs Ute. All the get shielding with Matt from dci. It still cooks the bay.

If it's manual , you'd get 300-350 rwkw easy with rectangle heads. Should be able to sell turbo stuff pretty easy

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
      Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
      Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

Comment

There is a local bloke who had these thoughts, he has a twin turbo LS Commodore ute and to complement that he brought together a VE Commodore ute with an 8 litre LS based engine. They both produce similar amounts of power but come at it from different angles. To say he has spent shitloads would be an understatement.
        " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Agreed all round senator, still thinking about what option a is but leaning towards sorting it and making a weekender. We'll see.

And thanks for the input dogsballs, I reckon you could get temps down -but that comes to Roy's point. Though I do have a garage I can do basic stuff in, and that'll be easier to do without the turbo shit everywhere- there'll be a basic bare minimum to spend either way. Pay to play.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinschops View Post
            Agreed all round senator, still thinking about what option a is but leaning towards sorting it and making a weekender. We'll see.

And thanks for the input dogsballs, I reckon you could get temps down -but that comes to Roy's point. Though I do have a garage I can do basic stuff in, and that'll be easier to do without the turbo shit everywhere- there'll be a basic bare minimum to spend either way. Pay to play.
            That's the issue imo, you have to pay either way and converting to cam only wont be that cheap. And then you have to ask things like how much compression is left in those pistons after 10 years of turbo punishment, slightly low comp you wont notice on a turbo build, but when going big cam NA it can make a big difference. It's obvious that if you were to start from scratch an cam only build would suit your needs, but you currently have the turbos and are used to that. I also feel what you will miss if you go big NA cam is the part throttle midrange torque surge, you wont replicate that feeling NA. You could be nearly as quick on the street, but you will need to ring it harder with both throttle and revs and its just a different expirence.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Babalouie
            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Low comp?! Wtf

5min job at machinist to skim heads 30-40thou

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsballs View Post
                Low comp?! Wtf

I'm no LS guru but aren't you cutting pistons at that amount?

Comment

Is this a cammed 7.0L yet
                  Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                  Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Low comp?! Wtf

I get your point, but I guess I am just saying it could be a rabbit hole.

Even at very min to convert his current set up to NA cam only he is looking at:
                    Headers
                    Full Intake
                    Cam and cam support mods (springs, pushrods lifters depending on cam)
                    Tune

Realistically we are looking at 5-6k to get to point above.

It's prob going to be easier to take the engine out so then you consider after spending 5k+ skimming heads, hone, gaskets etc. Then NA builds benefit from port work so while its out an apart do you at least clean up the short turns and do a valve grind and check valve stem seals.

And you will be doing all this for less power and a lot less midrange

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Babalouie
                    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I disagree. Decent cam will shove you into the seat. An old twin turbo system isn't making the bulk hp you think

Comment

I disagree. Decent cam will shove you into the seat. An old twin turbo system isn't making the bulk hp you think

My thoughts also. Plus less heat more reliable, and can wring it out on the street and row through some gears without ending up in the next suburb
                        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

My mate has a xy ute with a solid roller 363cui and a shot of nitrous.
                          Ran 9.70 @ 136mph. Feels quick as fuck on the street and can fry tyres in all 3 gears in seconds. Great car to be in but it tires you out after an hour of cruising.

Took him on a 4 hr drive to Portland in my turbo 5.3 with the first combo and he was giggling like a school girl when we were doing 3rd gear pulls on the highway.

Decide what you want and stop thinking about money otherwise you're only going settle for something that you won't be happy with. That's what I did the first time and ended up selling the whole kit and starting again. I worked out what I actually wanted because the first time I just wanted my v8 to make fkn woosh noises and didn't know any better. Cost me 20k to do it all again but I'm heaps happier this time around with the quality of the work by Jason Kenny at ls1pwr using killaboost manifolds. Pics for inspiration.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Attached Files

Comment

Some really solid input thanks blokes.

Vet 180, all in I figured I'd be spending about $6k to disassemble, throw a cam in and do the most basic support.

And a dogsballs, clutch monkey, great walls mate, a good cammed car goes well. My brother had a vx GTS and someone had played around with the c4b, it was a quick car.

And Great Wall, the need for the whoosh was there. Thanks for the inspiration. Ironically, as per senator earlier in the thread, I'd read about Vickery and the other dudes early in the turbocharged ls scene when it was happening and wanted in.

And I do still love the whoosh. Luckily I've picked up a liberty gt wags for dailies so can think about this one, get in touch with some shops.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinschops View Post
                              Some really solid input thanks blokes.

Vet 180, all in I figured I'd be spending about $6k to disassemble, throw a cam in and do the most basic support.

And a dogsballs, clutch monkey, great walls mate, a good cammed car goes well. My brother had a vx GTS and someone had played around with the c4b, it was a quick car.

And Great Wall, the need for the whoosh was there. Thanks for the inspiration. Ironically, as per senator earlier in the thread, I'd read about Vickery and the other dudes early in the turbocharged ls scene when it was happening and wanted in.

And I do still love the whoosh. Luckily I've picked up a liberty gt wags for dailies so can think about this one, get in touch with some shops.

honestly, budget more like $10k spend to go back to NA. Headers, exhaust (if you have a big system for the TT kit), head gaskets, labour, tune etc.

Comment

Ls speed shop Australia currently has some decent discounts on turbos. Worth a look

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X