Semi slicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi slicks?

Hi , I've got a car I'm doing track days with, it's a rwd, 900kg, 80-90rwkw. Trying to find a semi slicks in 195/50r15- or 205/50r15. I've got prices on federal rsr, and re71s, but havent heard anyone's experience with either. What about a050, or nankang ar1's? I've been told Toyo r888r aren't what they used to be? Thanks
    CL valiant sedan 245 3 speed
    VH dodge utility 215 3 speed, project/ trailer puller
    74 chrysler lancer LA sedan, 2.6 EFI turbo, 230kw
    chrysler galant sedan, daily
    chrysler galant coupe- long term project
    mitsubishi starion turbo, cutties, front lip, scrapes and smashes on everything

AO50s work great on Lotus so should be fine for your application if you can get the size you want.

IIRC R888r are now all old stock. I'm not sure they are making them anymore. Nankangs are okay while they are "on" but they go off again pretty quickly. The RSRs and RE71s tend to be more for heavier cars.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Can't go wrong with A050 or Z221. Nankangs are a good budget option but not as quick. You get what you pay for.

Non r spec, the federal rsrr isn't bad, hankook rs4 and yoko ad08r a bit better. A052 a bit better again.
      Last edited by THE CHIEF; 24-07-21, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Nakangs are heavy, go the AO50 for ultimate speed

Comment

Nexen SUR4G you can also throw into the Not R Comp lot

Comment

Speed costs...how fast do you want to go?

If it's just track days for fun - go something cheap like AR-1. Haven't used, but many have, they work enough and last well.

Medium price are something like Kumho V70A. I use and like.

Must win, must spend = Yoki A050.

Comment

Run RSRs in a stripped honda integra. Which at a guess would be very similar specs.

They are not the most grippy on the market. But price vs life vs grip is pretty hard to beat.

Also pay attention to the manufacture dates, get the newest set, have noticed this plays a part too.

Comment

I've done one track day with Z221 softs on the RX-7 so far and they're much more impressive than I remember my R888s being when new. And this was on a very cold, damp day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by [CatchMe]; 25-07-21, 09:23 AM.
                230SL 'Pagoda' | 911 SC Targa | FC RX-7 Infini

Comment

I've done 4-5 track days and 4 powercruises with nankang AR1. Very good bang for buck, nothing too serious. Little bit heavy.

205/50 r13 1050kg Datto 1600 270 rwkw.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'll look into the ar1 and a050 this week, cheers
                    CL valiant sedan 245 3 speed
                    VH dodge utility 215 3 speed, project/ trailer puller
                    74 chrysler lancer LA sedan, 2.6 EFI turbo, 230kw
                    chrysler galant sedan, daily
                    chrysler galant coupe- long term project
                    mitsubishi starion turbo, cutties, front lip, scrapes and smashes on everything

Comment

I used Nitto NT01 (205/50/R15) on a car with very similar numbers to that. Lasted a full season - 24 races across 6 race weekends - without issue (well, they weren't really semi-slicks by the end of it, but still a full year on 1 set gave me nothing to complain about).
                      BMW E21 Racer

ATCC & V8SC Results, Data, Statistics and Discussion from 1960 to now

Comment

I did a full season with QTCC in the E30 using A050 Mediums. 205-50-15s on a car with 250 rwhp and 1000kg body weight (including me)
                        They got better as the year went on, and I ended up winning races in my last two meeting.
                        Originally posted by Sicarius123
                        Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man :p

Comment

What's the hotness for fatso cars (1600+kg) these days?

Oo___oO

Comment

Fat, skinny, still A050 or Z221

I can't afford either so i run AR1 on my barge 1500kg with driver, can't quite keep up with guys running the better stuff.
                            Last edited by THE CHIEF; 25-07-21, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I like the Advan Neova AD08Rs. They're sometimes 4 for 3 at Bob Jane. I run them on a 1200kg Evo 1 as a 195/50/15 or a 215/45/17. On a fast road not much difference between the two.
                              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Working...
                              X